Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

A few questions

stale
    stale

A few questions Empty A few questions

Post by stale Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Hey all, bounce

A few questions -- I was going to ask them on the Wikidot one (their forum), but the admin still hasn't approved my account, so I'll just do it here, and I like this wiki better anyway, but one of them pertains to something said on theirs, which is:

1) Does leveling up too much make the game harder? I understand the concept of diminishing returns, but this part threw me for a loop: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/stats

"To invest in stats past 30 and 40 isn't recommended, and past 50 would actually start making the game harder for you because you are weakening your character."

Eh? Harder? Do the enemies start hitting harder as you level up? (This would explain why sometimes even grunts seem to hit pretty hard on my high level tank that's using Smough's armour).

2) Second question: How does one play the game pre-patch? Delete game data files off PS3 (I have a PS3) and start the game fresh with internet disabled? Was curious because of C8heshire's post here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61872692

(I would check myself but am playing a new game right now)*

3) I forget my third question - maybe I'll ask later.

Thanks in adv.

*(Also didn't know if U.S. discs were already partially patched)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

A few questions Empty Re: A few questions

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 pm

1) No, it means that above Level 50 in any given stat would be a waste of levels and make game harder than need be, it in no way affects actual difficulty, "anything is simply just as hard as you make it" as they say

2) yeah play with internet disabled. Only way now, as any time you go onto internet will update. Though honestly play with patch, the online play is too good to lose for a few minor(ish) changes to the game.

hope this helps big grin

by the way use this wiki, it's much better and the one connected to these forums: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/
    stale
    stale

Post by stale Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:13 am

Serious_Much wrote:1) No, it means that above Level 50 in any given stat would be a waste of levels and make game harder than need be, it in no way affects actual difficulty, "anything is simply just as hard as you make it" as they say

I don't understand how it makes it harder. You/they are saying that the souls are better spent on equipment?

Serious_Much wrote:2) yeah play with internet disabled. Only way now, as any time you go onto internet will update. Though honestly play with patch, the online play is too good to lose for a few minor(ish) changes to the game.

hope this helps big grin

OK, thanks

Serious_Much wrote:by the way use this wiki, it's much better and the one connected to these forums: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

Yeah, I know. It's just that question I had pertained to the Wikidot one. Also I'd seen a lot of other people (Gamefaqs) make a big deal about diminishing returns and I wondered if I was missing something.

One thing I noticed -- which I'd seen in other RPGs -- is that the stats go up differently each time -- if you haven't put much in strength for a while, then choosing to level it sometimes give you a boost there. I think Dark Spire was like that (a DS game).
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:16 am

In response to #1 I think he was meaning it's better to upgrade your gear then invest more into something.

Really you can play how you want, I'm at 341 and I have many stats past 50 at this point.
    Kyubi-Nick
    Kyubi-Nick
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Kyubi-Nick Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:53 am

stale wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:1) No, it means that above Level 50 in any given stat would be a waste of levels and make game harder than need be, it in no way affects actual difficulty, "anything is simply just as hard as you make it" as they say

I don't understand how it makes it harder. You/they are saying that the souls are better spent on equipment?

It's not that, but rather than once you start going over 50, most of the stats basically stop having any real effect. Most scaling to my knowledge barely increases after 50 in a specific stat.

So you could, say, have your Vit. at 50, and up it to 51, but at that point, to my knowledge you're not actually gaining any HP anymore because of the number of points invested into it.
    stale
    stale

Post by stale Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:10 am

Kyubi-Nick wrote:
    stale wrote:

It's not that, but rather than once you start going over 50, most of the stats basically stop having any real effect. Most scaling to my knowledge barely increases after 50 in a specific stat.

So you could, say, have your Vit. at 50, and up it to 51, but at that point, to my knowledge you're not actually gaining any HP anymore because of the number of points invested into it.

I think you gain a little bit, but it may take four levels to gain one point. (Diminishing returns).

Anyway, I remember my other questions now, but perhaps I should save them for another thread.

Err, here goes. (Why clutter up the thread listings when you can have just one?):

3) How much did TOSE work on this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tose_(company)
    I noticed that Dark features a lot of BIG levels (Demon Ruins, Anor Londo, Ash Lake, maybe Great Hollow) with enemies sparsely placed. Lost Izalith seems like this too. Is this part of Tose's work, perhaps? I did a search but didn't find much info -- they were an "outsourcing" (helping) game development. The beginning of their wiki says they're never credited, but they are credited at the end of Dark Souls. Just wondering, 'cause some of the levels seemed good (in that they were cool-looking) but a bit lacking in terms of enemy placement -- a lot of extra running involved, emptiness. I liked the levels, but felt like they were a bit filler (I know Anor Londo and Demon Ruins look gorgeous, though).

4) last question is silliest: is "bonfire" a British way of saying "campfire"? Of course bonfire is a perfectly legit American-English word for a large outdoor fire you set, but it's usually quite big. And I noticed the spellings for a few other words in the game ("armour"...) happy, so...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 am