Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Blazefury
Toastfacekillah
bloodpixel
reim0027
Whknight
sids09
10 posters

PvP Noob help thread

sids09
    Casual
    Casual

PvP Noob help thread Empty PvP Noob help thread

Post by sids09 Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 pm

I started doing forest invasions yesterday... initially thought I was in it for the wood grain ring, but then the invasions turned out to be pretty fun, so I think I'm sticking around. The catch? I'm *** terrible at PvP, and I know I can't be the only one.

What do y'all do? How do you not die in PvP? Because what generally happens to me is, I spot the dude, cast a spell -- it might land, might not -- and the dude will just bum-rush me. I can kite, a little, but with the lag even if the animation says my magic is landing, there's no damage assessed, and then suddenly I fall over dead. This is every time.

I tried just melee with a MLGS (I guess that's the acronym...?) and the result was the same -- even if I'm hitting on MY screen, the game isn't dealing any damage (or it's just dealing more to me, and I die) which I assume is lag.

Tried the butterfly horn too, and that was the backstab gallery everybody might expect it to be.

So, I'm assuming I'm not the only person who's experienced the lag issue. And even if it wasn't for the lag, I'd still be helpless against most of these people, because clearly they know what they're doing and I definitely don't. So.... what do I does? Are there general strategies that keep you from immediate death in PvP?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

PvP Noob help thread Empty Re: PvP Noob help thread

Post by Whknight Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm

The thing about the Forest Convent is that you aren't level matched. You can be thrown against someone way weaker or way stronger than you. The lag issues happen to everyone, not sure of any real way to get around it.

As for PvP, I think you just have to find the playstyle you are most comfortable with, then learn the strong and weak points of it and play accordingly. I can't really help you there, even more so if you are playing a mage build. I'm terrible at it.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:55 pm

That is a very broad question. It depends on what type of PvP you want to do. Forest PvP is a unique area. If you want to be jumped and ganged up on, then get a lot of poise, a good stunlocking and powerful weapon, a chaos +5 rapier for BS, lots of Lloyd's Talismans, etc.

For one-on-one, there are so many different playstyles it is hard to be specific. Learn your weapons, their moves, weaknesses, and range. Learn to avoid being backstabbed. Practice, practice, practice. Learn from your mistakes, how someone beat you. You can also find people to spar with you too, for practice.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Lloyd's talismans. Bring 99 of them.
    sids09
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sids09 Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:41 pm

reim0027 wrote:That is a very broad question.

Fair enough... let's narrow it a bit.

Learn to avoid being backstabbed.

How do I avoid being backstabbed? I hear people talking about a "Pivot backstab" and I have no idea what that means. Do I run away? Circle? I know I shouldn't turtle, cuz I learned that one the hard way.... I even tried "Hidden Body," stripping naked and running away, but this inevitably results in a lag-backstab and some laughter.
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 pm

sids09 wrote:How do I avoid being backstabbed?

Anyone you see using a bandit knife (or rapier etc) will be looking to bs you. They will just circle you endlessly waiting for you to attack and as soon as theres an opening, a bs/hornet ring combo will ohk you and its over. With lag, this can be very hard to avoid .Along with spammers, fighting someone using these tactics is about just about the most tedious forms of pvp imho.

Look out for someone charging you, keep your distance, use a weapon with a wide swinging arc (a 1h claymore swing or great scythe offhand swing can be effective) as one hit interepts the bs attempt and when you're facing a bser be careful any attacks leaving you momentarily helpless. Oh, and search for the EWGF backstab tutorials on Youtube that will explain everything about pivot bs, chain bs etc.
    Blazefury
    Blazefury
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blazefury Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:40 pm

There's a video on Youtube telling all you need about pivot BSing, better watching than reading ^ ~.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Here are 2 awesome videos to help you with backstabs and how to avoid them.

Backstab Tutorial

Backstab Tutorial 2
    lucanious
    lucanious
    Regular
    Regular

Post by lucanious Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 am

apparently if you dont move at all you cant be backstabbed for a few seconds after gettingup
    ted1023
    ted1023
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ted1023 Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:04 am

lucanious wrote:apparently if you dont move at all you cant be backstabbed for a few seconds after gettingup

This is true, If you just stand up after a back stab you're invincible to another, just turn and face your opponent you may take a standard hit but that's about it. When I get B/S now I stand up and blast them in the face with WOTG. They learn quick to give me some room..lol

Last edited by ted1023 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Font Size)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 am

ted1023 wrote:
    lucanious wrote:apparently if you dont move at all you cant be backstabbed for a few seconds after gettingup

This is true, If you just stand up after a back stab you're invincible to another, just turn and face your opponent you may take a standard hit but that's about it. When I get B/S now I stand up and blast them in the face with WOTG. They learn quick to give me some room..lol

Actually if you roll into your opponent you'll be fine. While rolling away will just get you BS'ed again, if you roll into them you'll be scott free.
    Blazefury
    Blazefury
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blazefury Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:25 am

Tolvo wrote:
    ted1023 wrote:

Actually if you roll into your opponent you'll be fine. While rolling away will just get you BS'ed again, if you roll into them you'll be scott free.

^^^ This. Remove lock-on and roll towards them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 am

Blazefury wrote:
    Tolvo wrote:
    ted1023 wrote:

And I utterly suck at PvP, but I still do know that trick. happy
    sids09
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sids09 Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Whknight wrote:The thing about the Forest Convent is that you aren't level matched. You can be thrown against someone way weaker or way stronger than you. The lag issues happen to everyone, not sure of any real way to get around it.

Incidentally, this just made me feel *so* much better about myself. SELF ESTEMM +5. I'M NOT THE WORST GAMER IN VIDEOGAME HISTORY. MOM, MOM, LOOK.

ahem. sorry, I'm impulsive sometimes.
    Blazefury
    Blazefury
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blazefury Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Forest hunting is fun once you get to SL 120 and finish your build, gear-wise and stats wise. It's a waste of time when you're still starting, but anyway, I find it's better than the Kiln when you're ready for it.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:44 pm

They can still get you if you roll toward them. They just have to use a different technique. So, you have a 50/50 chance if you roll. Although, rolling toward them will usually work, since they are planning their BS on you rolling away from them.
    Blazefury
    Blazefury
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blazefury Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

It's a different technique and from all the duels I've been on, I only got chain backstabed when rolling forward once.
    eneq
    eneq
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by eneq Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm

If you dont see an impact on their health bar when you hit it can be of several reasons.

1. It didnt hit (lag etc)
    2. Their health is too large

With regards to (2); the visible health bar only goes up to a certain limit (think its 1900 or was it lower?), this means that any damage you do wont be visible until it goes below that limit.

/Q
    eneq
    eneq
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by eneq Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Tolvo wrote:
    Blazefury wrote:
    Tolvo wrote:
    ted1023 wrote:

And I utterly suck at PvP, but I still do know that trick. happy

But beware, they also do so they kind of expects it and will move at the last second and try to get another BS in.

/Q
    sids09
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sids09 Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:31 pm

New question.

How do you gauge range?

I sat for about two hours trying to summon help for Four Kings yesterday (a few sunbros tried to help, but for some reason the summoning on my game likes to fail about 9/10 times. Can't explain it.) But if I was having trouble with summons, I wasn't having any issues at all with the Invasion feature. Glad I brought indictments, cuz I spent probably five on the same BS/WoG jerk. Anyway my plan of action was to hold my ground on the round platform, and when the invader tried to charge across the bridge I'd throw White Dragon Breath at them, which covers the entire bridge and ought to therefore be an automatic hit. Of course, I wouldn't be complaining about "what my plan WAS" if it had worked. No damage dealt to any invader using this tactic.... so I switched over to a horn/mgs combo and figured I'd catch them with a spear-stab out at distance, and a two-hit combo with the MGS to finish. Of course, the timing never worked because once you factored in lag, I was swinging at ghosts. Then, later still, my plan was to blast away with the MGS shockwave, because surely THAT was bound to hit. Negatron.

So. To simplify the question, you're standing on one end of a narrow bridge and the enemy *must* cross it to attack you. When and how do you take advantage of the chokepoint?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

If it wasn't for WoG I would turtle up, greatshield+spear and engage him at the meeting point of bridge/tower. I would do what I can to keep him from crossing fully over and try to force him off/back.

Throwing in WoG makes it harder, if he was careless and rushing me I would time a sunlight spear so that when it goes off he is being targeted at max range (easy to get use to by things that rush you, like the dogs in lower burg) and hopefully he either rolls to the sides and off, takes it loses 500-700 hp and gets knocked down (I would then advance with GMB plus havels greatshield with a spear and poke him) or if it somehow misses, throw up my shield and start baiting him to WoG and hope I can backroll away in time until he is out.

If you are getting heavy lag the only real solution I see is casting sooner and just praying it works. Lag can be so distruptive sometimes :/
    sids09
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sids09 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Yeah, it doesn't help that I live in the middle of the desert in New Mexico. Best internet connection money can buy; worst lag you can imagine.\\

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 pm