Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
BLA1NE
RANT
ZikoLogiKa NL
Lepro
8 posters

high strength rewards...

Lepro
    Lepro
    Addicted
    Addicted

high strength rewards... Empty high strength rewards...

Post by Lepro Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:26 am

i reckon that when you have high strength or high dexterity that you should be able too swing things that take less strength quicker, like the swing gets quicker every 5 strength or something haha
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

high strength rewards... Empty Re: high strength rewards...

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:36 am

maybe in the next game who knows
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:49 am

iirc in the beginning the more str you had the faster you would swing your weapon and dex would roll faster but im not sure if that was a rumor or they just scratched it. it would be more like how dex helps with casting.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:57 pm

I think that'd be a nightmare to balance. It must be hard enough as it is to balance weapon damage, attack speed, reach, and moveset, without having to account for the possibility of weapons being swung faster or slower depending on strength, which could throw all the balance out the window...

The benefit of Str is that it allows you to wield larger weapons, isn't that enough? silly
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:20 pm

however larger weapons are slow, which is the issue, what i think would work is... you know how if a big weapon barely misses you but you still stagger from the sheer force of the attack? make the range of that stagger effect bigger the more strength you have, as for dex... it already benefits magic, but maybe it could legnthen how far evasive skill move you, (back step goes 1.5x the distance at 50 and 2.5x at 99, same for roll?)
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm

BLA1NE wrote:I think that'd be a nightmare to balance. It must be hard enough as it is to balance weapon damage, attack speed, reach, and moveset, without having to account for the possibility of weapons being swung faster or slower depending on strength, which could throw all the balance out the window...

The benefit of Str is that it allows you to wield larger weapons, isn't that enough? silly

not when dex gets all the pros, like reach, crits, damage per second and faster cast time.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:however larger weapons are slow, which is the issue, what i think would work is... you know how if a big weapon barely misses you but you still stagger from the sheer force of the attack? make the range of that stagger effect bigger the more strength you have, as for dex... it already benefits magic, but maybe it could legnthen how far evasive skill move you, (back step goes 1.5x the distance at 50 and 2.5x at 99, same for roll?)

i agree with the stagger aoe beign bigger but not increasing with str though, i wanted just like demon's souls greataxe ground pound, that way it's gonna be harder to just bs str users.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:48 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:I think that'd be a nightmare to balance. It must be hard enough as it is to balance weapon damage, attack speed, reach, and moveset, without having to account for the possibility of weapons being swung faster or slower depending on strength, which could throw all the balance out the window...

not when dex gets all the pros, like reach, crits, damage per second and faster cast time.
    You're exaggerating. You're trying to tell me that Str weapons don't deal high crit damage... seriously? Or that they don't have reach? And damage per second doesn't tell the whole story--a Dex weapon requires a lot of hits to deal its damage, which are mostly easy to block, and beg to get parried. Str weapons, on the other hand, deal a lot of damage in single hits. As for cast time, it's true (and I don't understand why From did that...), but not everyone takes advantage of it, and it's not a very big difference. The only real advantage I'd give Dex over Str is the greater diversity in its weapons.

Dex edges out Str in advantages, but not by much. Str is still a very worthwhile way to go.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:51 pm

I think having more str to allow a faster swing would be beneficial to the game mechanics. It's just giving STR and equivalent booster to how Dex affects casting. It's not too drastic and doesn't ruin game balance, but it does help.
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:54 pm

So high Dexterity makes you cast faster. 0.2 secs i think.
    It will be better if you can Cast lower/weaker spells instantly. (Great Soul Arrow, Fire Orb, Lightning Spear)
    And Strengh get every 4 level +1 in epuip burden, so you have more strengh, why shouldn´t you wear heavier Armor with ease?

And for the swing speed, i would say its a Dex/Str thing, it will be great if you have a 40/40 Build and you can swing a greatsword, a bit slower than a Katana. But then everyone goes for the stunlock and poise will be much more important
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:15 pm

BLA1NE wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:

You're exaggerating. You're trying to tell me that Str weapons don't deal high crit damage... seriously? Or that they don't have reach? And damage per second doesn't tell the whole story--a Dex weapon requires a lot of hits to deal its damage, which are mostly easy to block, and beg to get parried. Str weapons, on the other hand, deal a lot of damage in single hits. As for cast time, it's true (and I don't understand why From did that...), but not everyone takes advantage of it, and it's not a very big difference. The only real advantage I'd give Dex over Str is the greater diversity in its weapons.

Dex edges out Str in advantages, but not by much. Str is still a very worthwhile way to go.

while they do have reach they're slow as hell compared to dex weapons, and the spears hit you from 20 feet away becasue of the lag in dark souls. you need to put a lot more points into str to one hand your weapons which you might say you dont need and even to two hand it you need to go up to 27 str to use the harder hitting ones. you can have a elemental rapier on such a low level and do huge damage with it specially with hornet's ring and you dont safrifice any points since you can use it as soon as you start. the whole parrying thing specially with spear is rediculous specially if you go up against someone that knows how to use them, theyre practically unparryable. the weight of the weapons also allows you to stack all you poise you can since they weight practically nothing and tank agains someone with bigger weapons and win every time.
    Lepro
    Lepro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Lepro Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 am

see but all im saying, like im taking into account every comment, is that that with the more strength the easier it should be too swing a weapon, as you say dex helps casting, then why should strength help with swing time, and as for it should do equip burden, you have endurance for that soo why do the strength up when you can get more from doing your endurance up? and with my guy i have my endurance at like 50 soo i dont really wanna keep doing that up, i was doing my strength up but you get hardly any advantages from it, i can now weild the heaviest weapon in the game one handed soo thats why i am saying that strength should have more advantages with it
    VinheimProfessor
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VinheimProfessor Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 pm

I'd actually prefer if you got noticeably higher awards out of investing in specific stats to the extent that a player with high dex and mid-ranged strength would have a different move set compared to a player with high strength and low dex. I'd like to see the rewards for investing souls to gain high strength be more interesting: akin to allowing you to break enemies weapons with yours, throwing them back with bone crushing blows and able to break through some wooden doors. I'd like to see the rewards for reinforcing dexterity to be high to expand your move set without the need for a ring, better recovery when rolling and multi-hit ripostes. In the same vein, the rewards for high Intelligence and Attunement should be beefed up: not only should your spells do more damage, but you should be able to use automatic debuffs or utility magic with ripostes and backstabs - like a backstab achieved with a catalyst should allow you to use a special version of a soul arrow, a riposte with a catalyst should allow you to use a special stunning spell and higher Intelligence could offer faster casting instead of dex with the explanation that the more you study, the more you learn how to manipulate soul energy without concentration.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 pm