Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
ZikoLogiKa NL
cloudyeki
mofomey
befowler
WyrmHero
PKBarbarian
SATLOS
11 posters

Avoiding WoG?

SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Avoiding WoG? Empty Avoiding WoG?

Post by SATLOS Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Every time I get a Darkmoon blade down to about 1/4 health, they start the WoG spam show and usually win/taunt afterwards.

I find it difficult to keep max range to avoid WoG because that allows other stuff like humanity usage/etc., which just extends their intrusion upon my world.

Outside of using the Crest shield, I know (from youtube vids) that WoG can be rolled through without taking damage, but no matter how hard I try, I can't do it.

Is there some trick to this? Do you guys wait for a specific audio queue before beginning the roll? Is it easier with fast roll or with DWGR?

Just looking for some pointers... This isn't meant as a whiner/***** thread.

Also if FruitPunch reads this: have you guys tried this in the practice meetups?

PKBarbarian
    PKBarbarian

Avoiding WoG? Empty Re: Avoiding WoG?

Post by PKBarbarian Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 pm

very simple when it starts wog just use roll.

you'll dodge, another tip to make it close to the opponent to roll behind you to use it to backstab.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Roll like crazy till they finish. They usually will spam it because of noobness.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:03 pm

My experience is that it's easier to roll directly at or past them, rather than try to dodge sideways or diagonally. The reason seems to be that WOG, like Force, is really an extremely fast moving 360 degree blastwave, rather than something that instantly hits everything in its radius. So you want to spend as little time as possible coexistant with the blast wave, to make sure your invulnerability frames cover the moment you pass through it. Rolling directly into it makes it go by you the fastest (like two cars passing in opposite directions), effectively giving you the biggest window to not get hit. If you are at the edges you can also roll directly backwards ahead of the wave entirely, but you don't want to do this when you are really close because you'll end up traveling backwards with it and may get hit coming out of your roll.

Sparring someone with Force practice is good for building up the reflexes. I still get hit fairly often, but if you're a good enough fighter otherwise you can usually survive WOG if you limit it to getting hit once before you finish them off.

Note that it is actually possible to parry Force/Wog too, although it is very difficult and to be tried only if you are literally backed into a corner and have no other option.
    SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks Befowler...

The i-frames of a roll/flip are the first few frames, correct?

I think what is happening is that I'm rolling too quickly, because I roll right when I hear the first sound that WoG makes (what I refer to as the "power up"). By the time the actual wave/explosion comes out, my roll is near its end and I take full damage/get staggered.

mofomey
    mofomey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by mofomey Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:16 pm

i use what befowler suggested, roll towards them. i find i can do it way better with DWGR than fast roll. I-frame is longer i think, or just different and im not used to it. ive got a faith build if you want me to wog you to death big grin .
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:22 pm

DWGR has the most I-frames, fast roll right behind it. But if you're trying to mid-roll through its gonna take a more precise roll.
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:53 pm

soon as I see a talisman , I expect wrath and (try) to bait and evade through rolling
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah I can't figure out how to avoid WoG either OP. It is truly the bane of my existence
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 pm

try the bait and evade , best with DWGR as others have mentioned offcourse.

it's best to allready walk towards them , instead of them running up to you , and only be focused on their wog startup animation, learn the timing , and roll backwards 1 time only, it really is safer than rolling to the sides.

I think the safe moment to roll through is the peak moment in the sound from the WoG, not sure at the moment , because Im used to dodging according to the animation. I wouldn't recommend BS punishing a WoG though.
    If they are spammers, do it 2 more times to see if they put the talisman away then lol!

but we are talking about spammers now , not people who use it tacticly during battle.

you could test it on the sentinels in Anor but their startup frames are slower.,

hope I helped a bit big grin
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:49 am

As a DM I save my Wrath for hosts who like to flask when I bring them down, people who like to turtle, and bs fishers, and I only attune one. In terms of dodging it, the DWGR helps the most, roll toward them or on a diagonal angle toward them, I like to do it right when they stop charging and start to spread their arms, but it depends on lag. If anything, keeping distance and rolling completely away is best, but judging its max range can be tough.
    mofomey
    mofomey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by mofomey Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:32 am

Great magic barrier?
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 am

Kirk armour and roll through them, you can sometimes stagger them before they finish the cast and if not you will avoid the blast as you finish your roll.
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:34 pm

I have not bothered to compare stats/armor to wog evasion yet. My main chars are usually melee only with light armor. However, my sl 80/120's either roll/flip or simply lower their shield and are able to run at wogger. First wog does no damage, second wog some damage, third wog staggered my char with damage. All with shield lowered. Even my sl 45 with 8 vitality was able to lower shield and move toward wogger...but with damage. Second wog staggered her good, however.
    I read about lowering your shield during a wog attack somewhere on the net...but don't remember who shared the info. Note...if shield is up it hits you harder, staggers you sooner, and does more damage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am