Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

need advice.on my char build

darksoulslover
    darksoulslover
    Addicted
    Addicted

need advice.on my char build Empty need advice.on my char build

Post by darksoulslover Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:23 am

Vit20
    int19
    End17
    dex12
    mag30

I like magic build do far. I only have two spells Atm. Fire and soul arrow. Just wish I had more.

Also where and how do I upgrade cresent falchon. Plus 1 and all I have is leather armor.

Need help. What do I do?
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

need advice.on my char build Empty Re: need advice.on my char build

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:13 am

Hello and welcome to Professor Reaperfan's class on casters in Demon's Souls, where we answer any and all questions pertaining to the use of magic!

For your stats, you will want to get your Intelligence to 40 for the maximum number of spell slots, and your Magic to at least 40. If you want to give up some survivability stats then you can also push your Magic to 50, it all comes down to personal choice really. Only get enough Endurance to wear some lightweight robes and still be able to fast roll, and put the rest of your points into Vitality.

You can get more spells by buying them from Freke, his apprentice, or Yuria in the Nexus. You will have to free Freke from his prison cell in 3-1 and Yuria from the tower in 1-3 before they will appear in the Nexus to teach you anything though. Freke and Yuria also have the ability to teach you very powerful spells if you give them the souls of certain bosses. The most important special boss soul spells you will want to be on the lookout for are:

Soul Ray - Give the Fool's Idol's soul (Doll Demon Soul) to Freke
    Fireball - Give the Dragon God's soul to Freke
    Homing Soul Arrow - Give the Old Monk's soul (Yellow Demon Soul) to Freke
    Fire Spray - Give the Armor Spider's soul (Hard Demon Soul) to Freke

And when you get to your second playthrough after beating the game once, you should try to learn these spells:

Ignite - Give the Armor Spider's soul to Yuria
    Firestorm - Give the Dragon God's soul to Yuria
    Soulsucker - Give the Maiden in Black's soul to Yuria

The rest of the boss souls you can give to whomever you want, but I definitely reccomend using them to get more spells instead of consuming them for more souls.

As for upgrading your Crescent Falchion, you can do this by finding Darkmoonstone, though you will have to go to Blacksmith Ed in Stonefang since Boldwin in the Nexus can't upgrade with it. Darkmoonstone is found only in world 4, the Shrine of Storms. The local merchant in that world sells shards of it, but for chunks you will have to farm the Reapers and Crystal Lizards. And you must be very lucky to get a Pure Darmoonstone to upgrade the Falchion to its maximum upgrade, as only the Crystal Lizards in the Shrine of Storms drop it, and they only appear a limited number of times per playthrough.

Other equipment you will want to be on the lookout for are the Kris Blade, Old Monk's Headwraps, and Ring of Magical Sharpness. All of these items dramatically boost the power of your spells, though they also lower your defense against magic, so you may need to be a little more careful when using them. The Kris Blade is found in Stonefang, just before the elevator leading down to the Armor Spider on some catwalks. The Ring of Magical Sharpness is found in one of the Iron Maidens in the Prison of Hope in Latria. To get the Old Monk's Headwraps, you must invade someone in Latria and be summoned as the world's boss, then defeat the player.

Given that not many people are playing online right now, if you find yourself unable to invade for the Headwraps then the Silver Coronet also makes great headgear since it boosts your MP. Another note on equipment is that you should be using the Wooden Catalyst. Despite the fact that the Silver Catalyst gives you more MP, it is weaker and so reduces the power of your spells, and unless you dedicate your build to it then the Talisman of Beasts will usually be weaker as well. You may also try the Insanity Catalyst by using the Old Monk's soul to upgrade any other Catalyst, as even though it cuts your MP in half, it makes your spells much, much stronger. Though approach this option with caution, as having half your MP means you can only cast a few spells without having to stop and use some spice, and it also means you will be missing out on one of your most powerful spells, Homing Soul Arrow, until you play through New Game Plus and get another Yellow Demon Soul from the Old Monk.

Sorry if I was a bit wordy for you, but hopefully that answers most of your questions and future questions about casters. If you have any more please ask happy

EDIT: If you could tell me if your character is male or female then I could also let you know about which sets of robes/armor you should be on the lookout for winking
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:30 am

I've noticed that past 30 Magic, the catalyst's spell assists increase by 1 or even 0 points. Same happens with Talisman of Beasts. With 30 Int / 30 Faith you get more spell assist on the Talisman of Beasts than the Wooden Catalyst + you get magic defense and miracle slots.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 am

WyrmHero wrote:I've noticed that past 30 Magic, the catalyst's spell assists increase by 1 or even 0 points. Same happens with Talisman of Beasts. With 30 Int / 30 Faith you get more spell assist on the Talisman of Beasts than the Wooden Catalyst + you get magic defense and miracle slots.

Talisman of Beasts actually outclasses the Insanity Catalyst when both Magic and Faith are at 44. Unless you're building your character specifically around the hybrid item it's not really worth it because otherwise you could just use the Insanity Catalyst and get more power for less investment. Though I will say a proper Pushed ToB build is by and far my favorite build in Demon's Souls, and still the only build in either Demon's or Dark Souls that I've been able to PvP effectively with :oops:
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:48 am

I'm trying to make a Dex/Mag hybrid and I still can't decide between ToB or Wooden Catalyst or Insanity Catalyst. I want to use Light Weapon, and be able to cast some spells, like Soul Ray and Ignite, or any other combination.

My planned stats (you can tweak it)
    50 Vit
    30 Int
    20~25 End
    30 Mag
    16 Faith (Second Chance)
    30 Dex
    18 Str (Uchi/Hiltless/Compound Short Bow and other heavy Dex weapons)
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:32 pm

WyrmHero wrote:I'm trying to make a Dex/Mag hybrid and I still can't decide between ToB or Wooden Catalyst or Insanity Catalyst. I want to use Light Weapon, and be able to cast some spells, like Soul Ray and Ignite, or any other combination.

My planned stats (you can tweak it)
    50 Vit
    30 Int
    20~25 End
    30 Mag
    16 Faith (Second Chance)
    30 Dex
    18 Str (Uchi/Hiltless/Compound Short Bow and other heavy Dex weapons)

My reccomendation would be to use the Insanity Catalyst. With your stats, the ToB would be cracked, and regardless the Insanity will be the best option for your other spells since they will be supplementary to your buffed weapon, and you shouldn't need to be spamming them. You'll need both it and a Talisman in the end though, since you'll need something to be able to cast SC.

Your stats seem good, though it you want to take some points out of Vit and put them into End for stamina that might help, especially since you'll be doing a good deal of melee. Another point, if you decide to use a shield, stay away from the Dark Silver Shield since it reduces your spell damage.

And lastly, not to be discouraging but buffing builds in Demon's Souls aren't as awesome as they are in Dark Souls. The only two that were widely recognized were Blueblood Sword/Light Weapon builds and Cracked ToB Strength builds. Regardless, your build here looks interesting and different from most common Demon's Souls builds, and if you're on the NA servers I'd love to play against it sometime winking
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Yeah I'm at the NA servers. I was thinking casting Second Chance ASAP after I'm summoned in a world and then manual switch to the insane cat to buff my weapon, then old spice. One shield I liked was the Rune Shield, as it raises my magic defense by a lot. I was also considering having a backup long range Int scaling weapon like the Phosphorescent Pole or a spear. Unfortunately, I can't make any of the spears Crescent path, only Moon. Any recommendations on backup weapons?
    Zakkia
    Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zakkia Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:05 pm

heres a tip- in demons souls, duel wielding is actually really good. I had about 2 builds that used it.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:13 pm

WyrmHero wrote:Yeah I'm at the NA servers. I was thinking casting Second Chance ASAP after I'm summoned in a world and then manual switch to the insane cat to buff my weapon, then old spice. One shield I liked was the Rune Shield, as it raises my magic defense by a lot. I was also considering having a backup long range Int scaling weapon like the Phosphorescent Pole or a spear. Unfortunately, I can't make any of the spears Crescent path, only Moon. Any recommendations on backup weapons?

An important thing to remember about how Light Weapon works in Demon's Souls is that it provides damage based on your Magic stat and not the strength of your catalyst. Casting Light Weapon with an Insanity Catalyst or a Silver Catalyst with 30 Magic will provide the same amount of damage. Because of this I would probably say go ahead and just use the ToB for your setup spells. Phsophorescent pole is great not only for its decent damage but because it provides more MP regen than any other item in the game, even more than a maximized Crescent weapon.

The Rune Shield is another decent choice, though since shields and parrying aren't quite as useful as they are in Dark Souls it wouldn't be a very hindering idea to simply forego the shield and simply have your left hand hold both your ToB and Insanity Catalyst. Since you can do so many different equipment setups and still make it work, don't take this as a set-in-stone idea, but my personal choice on weapon loadout for this build would be:

RH1: Sharp Uchigatana +5 (or Hiltless +5, but I can't remember if that can be buffed or not :|)
    RH2: Phosphorescent Pole +5
    LH1: Talisman of Beasts
    LH2: Insanity Catalyst

Start off with the Talisman of Beasts casting Second Chance and Light Weapon (since with Second Chance it doesn't matter if you meet the Faith requirement or not winking), switching to Insanity Catalyst, spicing back up to your now-lowered maximum to save on spicing time, and casting spells from your left hand while melee combating with your right. If you really feel you need a shield though, I would say have Shield/ToB in left hand to begin with, and after buffing/while spicing back up you could simply menu-swap your ToB with the Insanity Catalyst. This is riskier since not everybody allows respicing in their personal honor codes and will rush you after you're both done SC'ing, and it also eliminates the possibility of recasting SC mid-fight if you should have an opportunity.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Reap I checked the AR of Light Weapon with the Insanity cat and the ToB. The difference was about 60 more AR with Insanity cat with 30 Magic.
    darksoulslover
    darksoulslover
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by darksoulslover Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:42 am

I like wyrm build. I'm male char. So far white good char. Do youthinkni csn use crescent for the game or is there better?

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 am

You can upgrade it to +2 or +3 but keep your shards of Darkmoonstone in case you want another Crescent weapon. I was thinking of using the Crescent Flamberge, as backup too. If you want mote spells raise your Int stat and kill all the bosses so you can trade their souls for spells. I was thinking of getting Homing Soul Arrow today. It's really good.
    BoilerFan8472
    BoilerFan8472
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by BoilerFan8472 Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 pm

I actually use a 44/44 build in demon's and I must say it kicks ***. fire spray puts constant pressure on the enemy and actually has surprising damage when combined with monk's head collar,kris blade +5, and ring of magical sharpness. Combine that with homing soul arrow and they're forced into running in a circle unable to touch you because of the soul arrows and constant stream of fire. If they decide to get brave and charge u switch quickly to either firestorm(more damage and a definite win almost but you're screwed if it misses) or god's wrath.

This strategy works very well and should be looked at. If they're using a dark silver shield use only fire spells since they still have a fire element and should still get passed the shield even though it has 100 magic block.

on your backup weapon, I like the kris blade as it allows me to keep from switching if things get nasty and it has pretty good damage since it scales with intelligence. Don't worry about running out of shards of darkmoonstone, just worry about the chunks, and I've yet to get a pure darkmoonstone so if you get one save it until you definitely know what you want.

If you do end up going into close combat make sure that you have a shield equipped in your left hand. It doesn't do much but it helps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 pm