Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
BLA1NE
Pargar-theGreat
dwx
FattyOfDoom
8 posters

Velka's Rapier Questions and Thoughts?

FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Velka's Rapier Questions and Thoughts? Empty Velka's Rapier Questions and Thoughts?

Post by FattyOfDoom Sun May 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey all! I've been trying out the Velka's Rapier and I'm liking it.(The moveset is just....... GODLY) But I do have some questions...

Does it have a higher critical? It says 100 but is it like the estoc where it actually has more than it says?

Do you need poise to use it? I was going to use it on my no poise build, but I just want to make sure.

How does it fair against the circus giant flippers?

Is it a good PVP weapon?

Thanks for any help guys 👽
    dwx

Velka's Rapier Questions and Thoughts? Empty Re: Velka's Rapier Questions and Thoughts?

Post by dwx Sun May 27, 2012 7:03 pm

I use it with high int and it does pretty well in PvP. Obviously backstabs/parry with it are high, it's doesn't have a higher critical really but I think the armor piercing nature of it gives it high numbers. With 40 Int/40 Dex it can bs for 800-900 on most opponents and riposte for 1200+. The running poke works well against 2H people with slower weapons. You can hit for like 200+ damage and get away before they get a swing off. I use it mainly for a build with <25% weight since it's very lightweight.

Against the flippers it works. I usually use the wolf ring when I equip it just to add some poise but generally its quick enough you can get hits in before they do, and you can keep your shield up as well.

Last edited by dwx on Sun May 27, 2012 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Velka's Rapier Questions and Thoughts? Empty Re: Velka's Rapier Questions and Thoughts?

Post by Pargar-theGreat Sun May 27, 2012 7:04 pm

i have a lvl 45 build who gets massive damage with this weapon not sure about the crit but it scales with int so lvl that up. It is a very good weapon imo. esp at lower levels. pvp i did a 795 bs on a guy two handing it.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Sun May 27, 2012 7:07 pm

I use Velka's Rapier with hornet's ring on a hollow. I did 1760 damage, and with a claymore I did 900.

Are you sure it doesn't?
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Sun May 27, 2012 7:13 pm

all piercing weapons seem to have higher crits, tho the number dont show it
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Sun May 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Your probably right. And DOES it fair well against Giant circus flipper?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun May 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Yes, it's definitely a viable PvP weapon. Like all piercing swords and spears, it's got virtually no cooldown after poke, so you can attack and roll away immediately, making you practically impossible to hit. Also, like piercing weapons and spears, it has a very fast strike speed, making it virtually impossible to dodge because of lag. Couple those together, and you have a weapon that's practically impossible to dodge and you're practically impossible to hit. This makes it an especially viable weapon for 0 poise builds too.

I will say this, though: I find that style of play gets boring fast. All you have to do is poke, roll, poke, roll, until your opponent is dead. Repeat for the next one...

Last edited by BLA1NE on Sun May 27, 2012 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Sun May 27, 2012 7:55 pm

in what way do u mean, about average i'd say. If ur asking how it fairs against giants armor? then i'd say its as good as anything; if ur prepared. ur best bet would be watching his endurance stamina, while he's flipping everywhere and pokeing the crap out of them.... if that helps
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Sun May 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Learn to parry, learn to BS, learn to dodge. If you master all three, you're golden against almost anything. Notable exceptions would be people that are better at parrying, better at BSing, and/or have long spears.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun May 27, 2012 8:02 pm

*sigh* I've used it extensively just to discove that I'm useless with rapiers. Which is sad because velkas is cool. Anyways, IF your an int build already, go right ahead, its long and fast. Its not like the mlgs though, where you can be a int warrior with no magic and still have a good build. Velkas is no stronger than a lightning richards or estoc, so I'd advise against building for it because (unless you are a mage) its just a waste of 30 points better spent somewhere else.
    dwx

Post by dwx Sun May 27, 2012 8:09 pm

I think it works pretty well against them. I edited my earlier post.

If it's 1v1 you can just nickel and dime them and whittle them down to nothing in not too long, if it's someone good at parrying it's a little tougher. With a decent shield and some poise you can hit them with your shield up, roll back, repeat. I just fought a guy with Havel's+BKGA and he ended up using like 4 humanities during the fight and I never BS'd him until the very end because I was getting tired of the fight.

2v1 is another story, things are a bit tougher and you might have to get a BS in...
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Sun May 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Oh man silly My first thread here was pretty much exactly this.
    Hmm interesting stuff to say about it...

Its magic damage is higher than an enchanted ricards +4 on my character despite having a lower scaling stat nominally.

on a riposte it without hornets it will do 700-1000 on a player. (very high crit damage despite the 100 stat its piercing weapons)

Its normal attacks will cause you to reel back when you hit an enemy (not a player) shield but the first strike heavy attack will not.

As with all rapiers it has the two hit charge attack and the sweep and step back instead of kick

All in all its a great weapon and once you have parrying down spears aren't even that big a deal. (It has about 450 nominal attack with 40 str 45 dex 40 int probably not much higher than with slightly lower stats but still)

short version is I highly recommend it!

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun May 27, 2012 9:34 pm

396 with 40 int and just the requirements for dex and strength if i remember right.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun May 27, 2012 9:37 pm

IIRC, we tested it out against a rapier. With 60 Int, it did more damage on a parry than a rapier +15 did (both had hornet's ring). It wasn't a perfect test, (different armor, different humanity, etc). But the fact it did more is impressive.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Sun May 27, 2012 10:10 pm

dancash1808 wrote:once you have parrying down spears aren't even that big a deal.

I beg to differ. Parrying a pike at the edge of its range reliably is impossible (yes, I really mean it). You might get lucky once, but regardless of your skill you can't get it over and over.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun May 27, 2012 10:40 pm

^ combined with super range, being rather fast, and turtling ability if you try to punish with ranged attacks you have why i detest the freaking thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 pm