Build advice

    Share
    avatar
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 762
    Reputation : 21
    Join date : 2012-04-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Flying in the skies above

    Build advice

    Post by Dubscythe on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:07 pm

    So I plan on making a pure PvE character in order to play through the game a few times and collect everything there is to get so I can achieve 1000/1000g. I'm gonna write down the list of everything I need for the achievements, and I want to do it in such a way as to avoid PvP while still leveling up in the Gravelord and Darkmoon for their respective miracles.

    What I would like to know, is what would you guys call an extremely effective PvE build. Effective weapons, shields, armor, anything.

    I must admit, I've always wanted to use the Gravelord sword.


    _________________


    Resident PvP punching bag
    avatar
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 279
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Philly

    Re: Build advice

    Post by djgq42 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 pm

    you are going to need to narrow it down some. what is an "extremely effective" for one player will be different for another.

    speed or power?
    magic, pyromancy or miracles?
    hybrid or dedicated character?

    there are so many directions you can take this. have you used the character creator?

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

    a terrific tool for figuring out your builds: stats, eqp loadouts, spells and weapon damage.

    avatar
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 941
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2012-04-19
    Location : In the forest warming up on Covi's

    Re: Build advice

    Post by GkMrBane on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm

    Great shields for one are very effective against bosses and heavy striking enemys.

    the Resist stat is also very effective against damage recieved from enemys.

    use a weapon that can stagger easy. 45Vit and Ring of favor and protection


    _________________
    Forum Pirate wrote:One can learn to like having nails driven through their knees. Doesn't mean they'll enjoy learning.


    "Plain Childish" said the small man, to which the much bigger man said "it wont seem so childish when it happens to you"

    The Silver Big hat SL 200 (anti-mage, mage) http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=299020992731779294

    And his little mage hunting brother SL100 http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=391801110669564162

    Move Like a Rapier Sting like a claymore http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=329792397855464820

    If the cost of keeping a thread on topic is a down vote then I will make that sacrifice.
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: Build advice

    Post by RANT on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

    if you want it to be easy level up your magic to 50 as soon as you can and get 4 or 5 att slots, the first time i made a sorcerer build i found the game to be so easy.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 762
    Reputation : 21
    Join date : 2012-04-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Flying in the skies above

    Re: Build advice

    Post by Dubscythe on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 pm

    djgq42 wrote:you are going to need to narrow it down some. what is an "extremely effective" for one player will be different for another.

    speed or power?
    magic, pyromancy or miracles?
    hybrid or dedicated character?

    there are so many directions you can take this. have you used the character creator?

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

    a terrific tool for figuring out your builds: stats, eqp loadouts, spells and weapon damage.


    I just want something that will get me through NG, NG+ and half of NG++ stupid easy. I'm open to anything though I'm partial to warriors.


    _________________


    Resident PvP punching bag
    avatar
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

    Posts : 2631
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Montreal

    Re: Build advice

    Post by BLA1NE on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 pm

    I agree with Rant on the magic suggestion. Crystal Soul Spears tear bosses apart, no matter your NG+#. I'd recommend 45 Int and Logan's catalyst; 34 Att is a good number.

    For melee weapons, personally I find the Katanas make PvE the easiest. They're fast, deal a lot of damage, have decent range, and bleed. Can't ask for more than that! Or, if you don't mind the weapon, you could go Str instead and use the BKGA--that also makes PvE a joke. As for shields... learn to play without them! Save your left hand for your catalyst and for parrying, and switch between 1-handing and 2-handing your main-hand weapon depending on the situation. Don't need shields in this game.


    Edit: I'd recommend you do this first:

    http://tinyurl.com/6rtye3m (Your choice of armor)

    Then move to this:

    http://tinyurl.com/73r2ry3 (Your choice of armor and spells)

    You can easily get the first done in NG and the second in NG+, without farming for either. Don't forget to buy all the spells in each playthrough, so you can attune multiples. This'll easily get you through any NG+. After that, you can just keep pumping Vit to 50 and End to 40, and finally raise Str to 40 also so you can wield whatever you fancy.


    _________________
    Blaine Incarnate
    avatar
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 762
    Reputation : 21
    Join date : 2012-04-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Flying in the skies above

    Re: Build advice

    Post by Dubscythe on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:43 pm

    BLA1NE wrote:I agree with Rant on the magic suggestion. Crystal Soul Spears tear bosses apart, no matter your NG+#. I'd recommend 45 Int and Logan's catalyst; 34 Att is a good number.

    For melee weapons, personally I find the Katanas make PvE the easiest. They're fast, deal a lot of damage, have decent range, and bleed. Can't ask for more than that! Or, if you don't mind the weapon, you could go Str instead and use the BKGA--that also makes PvE a joke. As for shields... learn to play without them! Save your left hand for your catalyst and for parrying, and switch between 1-handing and 2-handing your main-hand weapon depending on the situation. Don't need shields in this game.


    Edit: I'd recommend you do this first:

    http://tinyurl.com/6rtye3m (Your choice of armor)

    Then move to this:

    http://tinyurl.com/73r2ry3 (Your choice of armor and spells)

    You can easily get the first done in NG and the second in NG+, without farming for either. Don't forget to buy all the spells in each playthrough, so you can attune multiples. This'll easily get you through any NG+. After that, you can just keep pumping Vit to 50 and End to 40, and finally raise Str to 40 also so you can wield whatever you fancy.

    With such a high Int, I could make a very deadly magic weapon, maybe a Zweihander?

    EDIT: Or even better, a a Magic/Enchanted Uchigatana/Iaito! If I go for the Uchigatana I just have to make sure I get a Bow and Arrows from him first, so I can get the Drake Sword. (I'm trying to get everything besides the boss soul weapons on my first run through so I don't have to worry about it when the game is harder)


    _________________


    Resident PvP punching bag
    avatar
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

    Posts : 2631
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Montreal

    Re: Build advice

    Post by BLA1NE on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:50 pm

    DON'T KILL THE UNDEAD MERCHANT.

    I HATE THAT EVERYONE KILLS THAT POOR GUY FOR HIS UCHI.

    :x

    Seriously, he sells very good, underrated wares. Warrior's Round Shield, cheap arrows, lloyd's talismans, residence key, chain set, etc. He's worth much more alive than dead, no doubt. Especially since you can just by all the Uchis you want from Shiva. It's a complete and utter waste to kill the Undead Merchant. I don't know where everyone's getting this idea that they have to kill him from, but it really gets me riled up. That poor guy!

    Also, with all that Dex, you should be using a normally upgraded Uchi. So use CMW on that and it'll wreck everything. You could of course go the Str path instead of Dex, if you prefer. I mainly just proposed Dex because I prefer it over Str (I'll take a Katana over a Zwei anyday... hell I'll take my Painting Guardian Sword over a Zwei!).


    _________________
    Blaine Incarnate
    avatar
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 762
    Reputation : 21
    Join date : 2012-04-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Flying in the skies above

    Re: Build advice

    Post by Dubscythe on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm

    BLA1NE wrote:DON'T KILL THE UNDEAD MERCHANT.

    I HATE THAT EVERYONE KILLS THAT POOR GUY FOR HIS UCHI.

    :x

    Seriously, he sells very good, underrated wares. Warrior's Round Shield, cheap arrows, lloyd's talismans, residence key, chain set, etc. He's worth much more alive than dead, no doubt. Especially since you can just by all the Uchis you want from Shiva. It's a complete and utter waste to kill the Undead Merchant. I don't know where everyone's getting this idea that they have to kill him from, but it really gets me riled up. That poor guy!

    Also, with all that Dex, you should be using a normally upgraded Uchi. So use CMW on that and it'll wreck everything. You could of course go the Str path instead of Dex, if you prefer. I mainly just proposed Dex because I prefer it over Str (I'll take a Katana over a Zwei anyday... hell I'll take my Painting Guardian Sword over a Zwei!).

    Well it's a little late for that I'm afraid, I bought everything I wanted from him and then killed him.

    I'm making my way through Undead Parish now, I have 60 stacks of Soul Arrow (which is admittedly a little weaker than I thought)

    Also, you keep suggesting all these things I can't get until the second half of the game! What am I supposed to do until then? XD


    _________________


    Resident PvP punching bag
    avatar
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

    Posts : 2631
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Montreal

    Re: Build advice

    Post by BLA1NE on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:27 pm

    That's because I don't count NG... silly In all honesty, when you can beat the game in a few hours, "first half" doesn't have the same meaning anymore. You can use pretty much anything to beat the Bell Gargs, Quelaag, and the Iron Golem, and then you're in Anor Londo and you've got access to almost everything you could want. After that, all that stands between you and almost every remaining piece of gear in the game, is Ornstein and Smough. That's the hurdle for most players, but once you're able to beat them easily, that's when you kind of lose touch with the "order" in which you're supposed to acquire gear. That's why I throw them all together like they can be acquired right away...

    And you're not even listening to me anyway! The Uchi was supposed to carry you through NG, then you'd use the uchi and magic for NG+. What do you need soul arrows for when you have an Uchi?! Just be sure to get all the Soul Spears and the Crystal spells in each playthrough, as well as the pyro, if you like. But mostly the soul spears and crystal spells, because they're going to be your strongest weapons against bosses in the next playthroughs.

    And I'm very upset that you've murdered that poor, innocent, defenseless merchant who only lives to please.


    _________________
    Blaine Incarnate
    avatar
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 762
    Reputation : 21
    Join date : 2012-04-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Flying in the skies above

    Re: Build advice

    Post by Dubscythe on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 pm

    I suppose you're right, I'm just a little impatient and want things to go quickly considering there's a lot of stuff I have to do in a specific way to get all Pyromancys/Miracles/Spells.

    Edit: Oh and if it makes you feel any better, I've died to the Bell Gargoyles about 5-6 times now.


    _________________


    Resident PvP punching bag

    Sponsored content

    Re: Build advice

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 am