Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
dirkdeadeye
Yukon
RANT
Forum Pirate
FruitPunchNinja
9 posters

Sayonara Dark Souls PVP!

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Sayonara Dark Souls PVP! Empty Sayonara Dark Souls PVP!

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm officially forcing myself to stop playing dark souls online. If anyone has been following/commenting on my other posts im sure youve noticed i have been getting more and more frustrated with the lag/bugs in the game. Although i dont think these are game breakers necessarily, they have succeeded in making it very difficult to enjoy. So i shall be on hiatus until august when we will see if we get a new edition/patch that could possibly improve pvp.

I still have faith in this franchise but i think they need to greatly rethink the pvp aspect allowing for more variety rather then a few builds that overpower the rest. I'm obviously not saying that those builds are unbeatable, but it does get extremely boring fighting the same tatics over and over. Add lag and a few bugs into the mix and im pretty much aggravated 70% of the time im playing.

Sayonara! i will most likely appear at a few FC nights here and there but not weekly for sure.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Sayonara Dark Souls PVP! Empty Re: Sayonara Dark Souls PVP!

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Thats the people, not from. Every game has a set of things that the general population uses for 1 reason or another. Usually a combination of "its easy" and "it was recommended" regardless of wether or not its true, they believe it to be so and make it so in their minds, no matter how well balanced the game is, its going to happen.

Rather than being eliteist about my tactics, I try to take the opportunities to try new tactics or weapons in a lower pressure environment. I try (with some difficulty at times) to dismiss the losses I had no control over as exactly that, rather than get irritated.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 pm

i feel ya dude, i dont really pvp anywhere outside of FC i hate it when people bring their lag into my world and just lagstab me and youre right about everyone wearing the same armor(you all know what it is) it gets so boring and FROM really screwed up with the dwgr(i use it too) i mean i like the ring but it just makes everyone wear the same armor and use the same weapons but hopefully they wont screw up as bad on the next installment. i will see you in FC then dude.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 pm

I don't mean to offend but I just have to get this out there. People always find something to complain about in this game. First it was the fog ring, and from made that item damn near useless along with spells like iron skin and weapons like the crystal ring shield. I don't think the game was perfect from release, but neither do I think the DWGR is a huge turd on the game itself. If there were no DWGR there would be something else to take its place, people find a way to conform to a certain build regardless of what rings they are using.

@fruit, I like what pirate said here, you shouldn't take the battles that had nothing to do with what you did wrong as a slap in the face. It seemed like a few weeks ago when we 'dueled' in the burg you were already fairly frustrated with lagging there, but there is a whole community of people here who'd be willing to spar with you who are better players than me, and won't die in 2 -3 hits haha. If nothing else I am happy to see you'll be coming back for FC.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Thats the people, not from. Every game has a set of things that the general population uses for 1 reason or another. Usually a combination of "its easy" and "it was recommended" regardless of wether or not its true, they believe it to be so and make it so in their minds, no matter how well balanced the game is, its going to happen.

Rather than being eliteist about my tactics, I try to take the opportunities to try new tactics or weapons in a lower pressure environment. I try (with some difficulty at times) to dismiss the losses I had no control over as exactly that, rather than get irritated.

I completely agree. The thing is its not really that people use the same weapons and armor(that does get boring) but more their tatics. Example, how many people have you dueled who just play defensive and do nothing but wait for you to attack so they can roll punish? not saying thats a bad tatic but im getting rather bored of it. Sometimes i just back off and we just stand there for a couple minutes cause they refuse to do anything but look for a bs opportunity. Add lag into the mix and it makes for a **** experience in general. Its not at all about me losing, even when i win im not satisfied. That is the whole reason i looked into FC to see if there were others bored of the same fight over and over again.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 pm

there's a lot of people that feel the same way, hence FC. last time i was in the kiln that's all people did poise bs me or do nothing but fish for a bs with A BKGA OR GA! it was actually funny but really annoying, i ended up chain bs'ing them all, i had a couple of people ask me about the timing after i chain bs them as if if it was an awesome strategy that eveyone needs to learn because its the best one. i just left after that, i dont see dark souls having a lifespan as long as demon's because the community somehow got so ****.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:42 pm

i hope people dont get the wrong idea that i dislike the game or anything like that. theres very few games ive put over 1000hrs into. I just feel that i have no enjoyment left to be had in the online portion of the game. cant wait to see if we get more bosses on consoles cause my favorite thing to do in dark souls/demons souls is boss challenges and low level playthroughs.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Like I said, try new things. especially if they refuse to attack normally, you should have lots of chances to try anything. what will they do, stand you to death? learn to dead angle, pivot parry or counter bs. Enjoy the practice, then enjoy beating real duelists with the things you practiced.

I cant make you obviously, but if you want to enjoy the game after playing it for so long, you have to be willing to work for it. I was simply offering suggestions on how.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:56 pm

i get what your saying forum pirate but im not talking about losing fights. My complaint is the bugs/lag and having to fight the same type of strategy's. I'm not trying to say dark souls pvp is bad im just personally not enjoying it anymore. Like rant said you can pretty much just counter bs all those people(unless theres heavy lag) my point is that is getting very boring.

I'm not going to say im pro at the game or anything but im a decent player. That being said a lot of pvp wins have just as much to do with luck as they do skill. Seeing as this game requires very precise timing lag can greatly effect the outcome of matches also the infamous button lag can easily get you bs for a ohko.
    dirkdeadeye
    dirkdeadeye
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dirkdeadeye Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:34 pm

It's the mechanics of the game. Strike, parry, backstab. And a few movesets. It doesn't really lend to a diverse PvP atmosphere. Who would swing a DKGS, and i'm talkin about the BIG GS, the one that'll give you a rotator cuff injury. Not many people. And it's not because it's a bad weapon, it scales pretty well. And it hurts like hell when it connects. But in order to get good with that weapon, you're gonna get your *** handed to you by elemental katana weapons. And more often than not, the guy using the BF-BKGS is gonna drop it, and be another cookie cutter lightning washpole, iato..w/e swinging, backflipping, backstabbing jerk. Because he's not having fun with the learning curve. Because there really is no reward for it, other than having to try a lot harder, for a morsel of validation every time you kill one of those people. Meanwhile that guy is wreaking havoc and griefing people who just wanna summon some help.

There needs to be more depth. More counters, longer movesets. I mean this is a japanese game, why can't I do a button smashing combo like a 5 throw king instant KO combo in Tekken? Parry is nice, but what if I could learn a kick, or strike that disarms someone. Why isn't there a moment, a tiny window maybe even just half a second during the backstab aninmation the guy can turn around, and judo flip the guy over, and stab him.

When people say "backstabbing is the essence of pvp in Demon Souls" that means it's been running rampant before and during the development of this game. That was their opportunity to add some depth to the combat system. Why is this game so punishing and hard, but lends itself to an extremely, narrow, nay.. linear sort of combat style when it comes to PvP in the outside, out in the wild?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:00 pm

You're looking for a 2d fighters not 3d dungon crawlers. Or some crazy dks/devil may cry hybrid.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:10 pm

That could work. I know what you mean though. As great as it is to kill gankers, 1 shot bsing them OVER AND OVER gets a little boring.
    dirkdeadeye
    dirkdeadeye
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dirkdeadeye Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:You're looking for a 2d fighters not 3d dungon crawlers. Or some crazy dks/devil may cry hybrid.

When you decide to add PvP, and online interaction in a 3d dungeon crawler..you need to supplement the human players abilities, rather than expect generic, cookie cutter tactics to be viable in a human player environment.

I'm asking for them, or someone else to move the genre past the typical elder scrolls cookie cutter RPG. They got half of it done.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:24 pm

I agree that this game needs some more PvP combat styles but I don't agree on adding juto kicks and odd combos that will instint kill players. If you want that then get a fighting genre game. After all this is more of a dungeon crawler adventure game despite it having PvP. Granted it's a japanese games but I feel that making it button masher style would ruin the game more then help it. Yes it does need better PvP but no Tekken fighting IMO.
    dirkdeadeye
    dirkdeadeye
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dirkdeadeye Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Argetlam350 wrote:I agree that this game needs some more PvP combat styles but I don't agree on adding juto kicks and odd combos that will instint kill players. If you want that then get a fighting genre game. After all this is more of a dungeon crawler adventure game despite it having PvP. Granted it's a japanese games but I feel that making it button masher style would ruin the game more then help it. Yes it does need better PvP but no Tekken fighting IMO.

They're just on the spot suggestions, ultimately i'm just saying there needs to be a little more depth.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 pm

The elder scrolls? Never mind that every rpg and your mom are all dnd rip offs which was inspired by lord of the rings.

Seriously play dedicated pvp oriented games if you're looking for ultra detailed combat like you described.

Its a dungon crawler, from very likely expected the pvp to go exactly as it has,and as the rest of the game does. win by finding every single little exploit and pay very close attention to the enemies patterns to take the opportunity to win wherever and however possible. If it means you get blasted off a cliff by a stealted enemy or insta-murdered by an ill timed css dodge then its their call to make. Not only does our dedicated pvping puts us in the minority, but all of our concepts of what pvp "should be" are artificial constructs we are applying to other peoples works.

If its not good enough for you, build your own game.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:56 pm

I really don't mind random PvP. It has the rules, if you make a mistake you are going to be punished by that mistake. But that's when I say I have to improve this or that. Everything has a counter in this game, you just have to find it and use a strategy according to the situation. If it's a BS fisher, then counter the hell out of him. If it's a WoG spammer, then just roll and wait till he runs out. The only thing that's defective in DkS is the DWGR, if they ever patch it <25% in the next expansion we would see less giants flippers and more kinds of builds. I love DkS, and I'm always striving to learn more. Also as an invader I don't encounter many laggy people.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:02 pm

i kinda agree with what pirate is saying, overall i like the basic mechanics of dark souls and would like them to stay pretty much exactly the same. if you check the patch 1.06 wishlist post i go into detail of what i would like to see changed(although i admit some of the changes i suggested might not work).

i have talked to some computer geeks and they tell me this is much more complicated then i make it sound, but i just dont get why they cant pair players by there ping/connection to eliminate lag. you might have to wait longer to get matches but it just seems like that could be done.

just so people dont get the wrong idea the souls franchise is up there as being one of my favorites of all time along side metal gear solid.
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:51 am

About the whole "japanese game should have ridiculus combo"-comments I just want to add (as a fellow J-tard for many many years of my life) that the Japanese speicalty is to make pretty basic games with lot of variation and let players more or less create the gameplay them selfs. Unleds its a 2d fighter or boring dmc-clone. If its somethings japanese developers like, its clumsy systems and anything else that west gamers would think is stupid or hard :')

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm