Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
StiffNipples
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rarayn
7 posters

New patch - Why, From? Why?

Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

New patch - Why, From? Why? Empty New patch - Why, From? Why?

Post by Rarayn Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:04 am

Supposedly Dark Souls was just updated with a new patch. It was only about 7-8 MB big, and I've yet to see anything like a changelog anywhere.

Like most PC patches, it achieved nothing but breaking mods more or less vital to playing the game on PC. I only had to turn off the FPS Unlocker to make the game work, the problem being that I needed that to keep my framerate at a constant 30. Without it I have a framerate of about 15 in Township. @_@

Last time this happened it didn't take long for the various mods to update, but I am a bit worried about what the purpose of a patch released this late might be.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

New patch - Why, From? Why? Empty Re: New patch - Why, From? Why?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Is this just for the PC?

And might Flicker Souls be back?
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:41 pm

As far as I know, it's only for PC. We've had patches like this in the past as well, usually just containing minor functionality fixes that no-one needs or wants. If that's the case this time as well I don't know.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Looks like it's helping you PC guys out...

StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 pm

So far what we know is tha the Patch breaks DSMFix, DSFix frame rate unlock, and is the patch that PS3 got a while back that fixes the stat drain hack. It also breaks cheat tables but doesn't remove the ability to use CE.

Apparently you can no longer be teleported on hit or have stats drained and you get the free level up if you have been drained.

Zip over to reddit/r/darksouls and have a look on the front page, someone has the old files that were changed so you can copy them over and get the frame rate unlock back, however you will again be vulnerable to whatever they patched.

I can't comment on better connections, I still wasn't able to summon anyone last night, nor did I get invaded and I ran through half the game (up to the Painted World) as human SL55.

I also heard it breaks DSCFix but I can't comment on that either as I haven't tested it yet.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:37 am

Wasn't a great fan of DSCfix, it was great if you were with friends but it almost killed random invading for me. The said thing is, it will probably only take them a few days to patch the stats drain hack or others hacks that this negated.
    kettpower
    kettpower
    Regular
    Regular

Post by kettpower Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:32 am

it seems the issues already got fixed. found that on the steam forum, just go here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1mke6z/i_managed_to_isolate_and_restore_the_4_files_that/

description what to do is in the link. you basically just replace 4 patched files with the old ones, that you can download in the link above. should make all the mods working again. be aware that this solution is only for the steam version, does not work with the retail version which I have. so unfortunately i can't really confirm that it's working from my own experience. people who play the retail version can just back-up these files before installing the patch. always remember to back up any original files before replacing them!

supposedly the patch fixed something about a "stat-draining" hack - be aware that if you apply this "fix" you are vulnerable to this again. and yes, i also wish they would remove that DSCFIX, not because i have a problem with 2vs1, but i think this mod is far from being fully developed.
    Laharls_Wrath
    Laharls_Wrath
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Laharls_Wrath Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:27 am

Apparently rolling back to a previous version limits you to playing online with players using the previous version
    regardless

new version of DSFix is out for the new patch
    http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

not sure if anything has been or is being done with regards to DSMFix and from what I've read DSCFix should still work as long as the dll isnt chained with something that is now broken
    http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1mmepn/roundup_of_tips_and_fixes_for_the_recent_pc_update/
    kettpower
    kettpower
    Regular
    Regular

Post by kettpower Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 am

Laharls_Wrath wrote:Apparently rolling back to a previous version limits you to playing online with players using the previous version
    That seems to be true: just did some invading/coop/hosting in Anor Londo and asked everyone i played with what version they use. i only played with people using the retail version, mostly from Japan. Those who play the Steam version, said that they did the fix with overwriting the new files with the old ones.

So the worst thing is following: I have the retail version and there was no patch whatsoever. Started the game, logged in, DSFIX just worked fine and i have FPS unlock for performance reasons. Apparently you only got the patch when you play the steam version of the game. So to me it seems, that the already small DkS community on PC is divided in 2 parts atm, which can't play online together anymore - ridiculous. I hope I'm wrong!
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 am

StiffNipples wrote:Apparently you can no longer be teleported on hit or have stats drained and you get the free level up if you have been drained.

Even tho I'm not on pc, this sounds like they finally found a way to start dealing with the hacker problem. If so, maybe more patches on the way for you guys.
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:56 am

twigsterxd wrote:
    StiffNipples wrote:Apparently you can no longer be teleported on hit or have stats drained and you get the free level up if you have been drained.

Even tho I'm not on pc, this sounds like they finally found a way to start dealing with the hacker problem. If so, maybe more patches on the way for you guys.
    Naw, hackers can find ways around the patches faster than From can make new patches.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 am

Rarayn wrote:
    twigsterxd wrote:

Naw, hackers can find ways around the patches faster than From can make new patches.
    That makes no sense bud. A patch has to be created for a hacker to get around it lol
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 am

twigsterxd wrote:
    Rarayn wrote:
    twigsterxd wrote:

That makes no sense bud. A patch has to be created for a hacker to get around it lol
    1. From releases a new patch meant to deal with hacking (etc.)

2. Hackers make the patch meaningless within days of its release

3. From makes a new patch several months later trying to deal with the problem

That's what I meant.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 am