Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Sorcerer Help

Zerocloud411

Sorcerer Help Empty Sorcerer Help

Post by Zerocloud411 Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Hey guys. So I made a magic user and I just realized that a Pyromancer is actually a better class than a Sorcerer, since it's the same thing but +4 resistance. I know this isn't a big deal, but does this basically mean a pyromancer is the best starting class for most/all classes?

Also (lvl 67: 8 vit/16 att/35 end/16 str/11 dex/8 res/44 int/8 faith with Dusk Crown and Crimson Set) is my current build. I'm not that interested in PvP since I'm new and trying to understand the game better, but what should my end build look like? Also what would be the difference in a build from PvP to PvE? Thanks for your help.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Sorcerer Help Empty Re: Sorcerer Help

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:57 pm

I would say a lot of times Pyromancer is the best starting class, however it can depend according to your stats. Here's a great site to use if you want to know the best class to start with. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/finder
    Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:I would say a lot of times Pyromancer is the best starting class, however it can depend according to your stats. Here's a great site to use if you want to know the best class to start with.

I know about mugen, that's how I found out about the higher resist having such an impact
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 pm

For pve, imo, the best class for making a mage is a sorcerer.

You start out  with enough attunement and intelligence to use some decent stuff, and you don't need anymore strength and dexterity for pve.

9 strength and 11 dexterity allows you to use a shortsword, a dagger, and a heater shield.  That's about all you need.

You also don't need much endurance for a mage.  Castings allow you to regenerate stamina while attacking effectively (castings don't use stamina).

Also, there's A LOT of light armor with excellent defenses, and your stats,  again imo, would have been much better spent on vitality...and again, for pve.

As far as the differences between pve and pvp.....well.....theres a lot to discuss. The way you design a build for pve and pvp vary drastically.  Your build is much better designed for a pvp glass canon actually.
    Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Animaaal wrote:For pve, imo, the best class for making a mage is a sorcerer.

You start out  with enough attunement and intelligence to use some decent stuff, and you don't need anymore strength and dexterity for pve.

9 strength and 11 dexterity allows you to use a shortsword, a dagger, and a heater shield.  That's about all you need.

You also don't need much endurance for a mage.  Castings allow you to regenerate stamina while attacking effectively (castings don't use stamina).

Also, there's A LOT of light armor with excellent defenses, and your stats,  again imo, would have been much better spent on vitality...and again, for pve.

As far as the differences between pve and pvp.....well.....theres a lot to discuss. The way you design a build for pve and pvp vary drastically.  Your build is much better designed for a pvp glass canon actually.

I chose 35 endurance because I'm planning on using MLGS and I've read that I need 35 to use it effectively. I have to disagree with the part about spending points on vitality, I've read A LOT and seen a lot of videos by people like epic name bros who all say that if you're not bad you don't need vitality as a sorcerer since you won't get hit if you know what you're doing. And I'm only 3 days new and I've gotten to Anor Londo without dying more than 20 times total, so I don't see the need. For PvP sure.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:51 pm

I have a sorcerer with 8 vitality at soul level 11 in the kiln. Of course you can say you don't need hp if you don't get hit. But you'll be glad you have it when you do, and your stamina bar is full because of casting spells.

I'm just saying you might enjoy the luxury of more hp as opposed to endurance. I don't know what you mean by needing 35 endurance to wield the MLGS effectively. Whoever made that statement more than likely meant pvp, not pve.

And also, unless you're going to perfect parry Gwyn, you wont beat him with 8 vitality without some help most likely.

You're also gonna have a helluva time with 4 kings to. But maybe its for the best. Having that low of health will sure as heck teach you how to "not get hit" lol....or what its like to die a lot.

Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Animaaal wrote:I have a sorcerer with 8 vitality at soul level 11 in the kiln.  Of course you can say you don't need hp if you don't get hit.  But you'll be glad you have it when you do, and your stamina bar is full because of casting spells.

I'm just saying you might enjoy the luxury of more hp as opposed to endurance.  I don't know what you mean by needing 35 endurance to wield the MLGS effectively.  Whoever made that statement more than likely meant pvp, not pve.

And also, unless you're going to perfect parry Gwyn, you wont beat him with 8 vitality without  some help most likely.

You're also gonna have a helluva time with 4 kings to.  But maybe its for the best.  Having that low of health will sure as heck teach you how to "not get hit" lol....or what its like to die a lot.

I can't link but google "moonlight greatsword endurance" and no it's not for pvp, its in general. To do an entire combo it takes a lot of stamina and just because I can cast doesn't mean I can do a whole combo and stand next tot he enemy and use my spells.

And yeah that was my goal. I'd rather get good on this guy then make 10 noob characters. Regardless so far I'm pretty happy with him and I've downed every boss before anor londo with ease. I'm just wondering if Dex should be my next stat since it reduces cast time right?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Depends on your castings.

Not all sorceries are effected, and the reduction is minimal and unnecessary in pve, i''ll look for some links, brb.

PS- If you're gonna focus your build on the MLGS, then you don't need castings at all actually.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Comprehensive survey of dexterity's impact on sorcery casting speed

Here’s what you need to know about casting speed in pve. You’ll see the differences are minimal and only relative to pvp in practice.

For tha Love of Castings

Here’s a link about all kinds of things related to mages.

*Also, next stat?...vitality or attunement....but I say vitality.
    Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Animaaal wrote:Depends on your castings.

Not all sorceries are effected, and the reduction is minimal and unnecessary in pve, i''ll look for some links, brb.

PS- If you're gonna focus your build on the MLGS, then you don't need castings at all actually.

Really? Wouldn't the range be helpful until enemies comes near me?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Well ya sure dude, but if you're going to 35 endurance strictly for using a MLGS combo, then you're focus of optimization should probably be on that I would say.

This is how I start every single sorcerer build I make (maybe some more vitality, depends on how fast I'm trying to level up): Animaaal's Starter Sorceror
    Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Animaaal wrote:Well ya sure dude, but if you're going to 35 endurance strictly for using a MLGS combo, then you're focus of optimization should probably be on that I would say.

This is how I start every single sorcerer build I make (maybe some more vitality, depends on how fast I'm trying to level up):

that's pretty much what I had when i was lvl 5
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Cool. Well good luck dude, and Mage ROCKS!
    Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Animaaal wrote:Cool. Well good luck dude, and Mage ROCKS!

Thanks and well I mean i have like 58 points left after getting endurance to 35 so I can still dump them into vitality
    Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 am

Ok after looking through your links more I've decided you were right about Dex not being worth the investment unless I went all out on it. Here is a new build idea I made and I'm actually thinking about PvP since I realized if it works for PvP it shoudl work for PvE, but not necessarily the other way around.

http://mmdks.com/3go0

Between dark sun crown and dusk crown i can't decide. And what is the difference between manus and tin crystal catalyst? If you could help me fill in the blanks here that would be much appreciated.

Also Flame or Butterfly Horn?
    Zerocloud411

Post by Zerocloud411 Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Ok I guess dusk crown is better since MLGS makes up for the magic resist loss. Here is my new build idea for pvp/pve.

http://mmdks.com/3hdh here is the new build. I haven't used most of those spells in pvp yet so I don't know how well put together it is, nor the armor but the stats seem to me to be pretty spot on considering what I've read.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:11 pm