Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+50
DOOM996
gateslol7
Bassman Bob
cerealaire
BloodTempest
OminousSquaffle
PierreSBK71
Green__Eagle
DanTastic
Jansports
Marionx
RANT
Kirk-Barb
Aendron
Hue
Ariona Allant
Shakie666
reim0027
ScottyDoesKnow
Gollumseverywhere
KrazykevS10
VaDoom
MacDragon65
Serious_Much
GrinTwist
Gambs_the_Grey
TheGreatGrapsy
Dibsville
TheMeInTeam
Soul of Stray Demon
Animaaal
Devokai
Sentiel
billy_bayonet
Automancer
Hart
AnCapaillMor
WaffleGuy
Pilgrim34
drdrack
General Bale
hey its andres
Kisuke Urahara
LunarFog
skarekrow13
Exclusive
TheBlackWaltz
Carphil
FAMISIL1
LukeboyDS
54 posters

Favorite Weapon

ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Favorite Weapon - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite Weapon

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Uchigatana. I actually wish it wasn't so good so that it wasn't so common. I'd still use it, love the look.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:49 pm

I guess on the subject of bows...a +15 aveyln with heavy bolts and leo ring twisted 

-or an enchanted composite bow with moonlight arrows.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Mura and the rapier.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Demon's greataxe + CMW + TCC = biggrin

I prefer CMW + TCC to the faith buffs, it does basically the same damage except you also get to use  other sorceries as well.
    Ariona Allant
    Ariona Allant

Post by Ariona Allant Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 am

flamberge with rotten resin. even if the chances of inflicting the effect are low, people get scared of having two bars filling up. works well to make aggressive players more defensive. 
    Also, the shotel. that r2 is brilliant for turtles. Praise the Sun
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:43 am

Ariona Allant wrote:flamberge with rotten resin. even if the chances of inflicting the effect are low, people get scared of having two bars filling up. works well to make aggressive players more defensive. 
    Also, the shotel. that r2 is brilliant for turtles. Praise the Sun
    You might also add dung pie for extra effect.
    Preferably while invading in the depths...
    Aendron
    Aendron

Post by Aendron Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 am

Longsword all the way. I always have a Longsword in my second weapon slot and use it quite religiously. I can swap it out for a shotel or a rapier as situation demands, but I just love the versatility of the moveset, one hand and two. It's not the best weapon, but I just love it. Glad to see it return to DkS 2 as well. Hopefully it will be as good.
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:46 pm

I too would have to say long sword.  It fits my fighting style. I like the way it looks.  It is also the weapon I have the most success with.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm

blacksmith hammer.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm

I prefer CMW + TCC to the faith buffs, it does basically the same damage except you also get to use  other sorceries as well.

They're pretty comparable in every respect.  INT gets other spells, but FAI gets WoG and some great utility spells too.  WoG covers slow weapons pretty well if one doesn't spam it (spamming it generally gets the 2nd or 3rd one resulting in a roll-BS)

I'm starting to take to the mura a bit.  Even on a STR build a freaking elemental mura is no joke.  Powerful reach, solid poisebreak/stunlock, good speed, and despite the split damage it still hurts impressively especially when combo'd on someone close enough to stagger-BS.

Zwei is a great weapon vs gankers:  Run ---> menu swap zwei onto 2nd slot, switch to it and 2h, turn around and catch them.  Almost nobody reacts in time to that and it will often result in killing one or more people outright.

I still think the hammers are really underrated as a backup weapon.  If you can bait a trade with them you can hit-stun and stagger BS almost anybody for massive damage.

In PvE:  Zwei by miles.  It's slow, sure, but you can stagger almost anything with ease:

- Capra demon?  Interrupt it even mid-swing with one 2h r2.
    - Super Smough charging up his butt slam?  One 2h r2 will stagger him, consistently.
    - Farming darkwraiths?  Clams?  Chaos Eaters? Pancake/stunlock them with 2h r2 for easy kills.
    - "Need Tail"?  2h r2.
    - Silver knights?  Still a double-pancake.

Despite its weakness in PvP, 2h r2 from zwei is incredible in PvE, and the weapon is easy to get.

Also underrated in PvE:  Giant's Halberd.

Why the Giant's Halberd?  You can easily buy one and max it out right after fighting O&S if you have any twinkling titanite lying around.  For quality and str builds, you can easily 2h it (24 str needed) and the damage it has is plenty well into NG+ iterations.  Why is this desirable?  It's one of the few maxed weapons that you can get without any serious farming, others being:

- Giant Blacksmith hammer (at the price of killing him sadly)
    - Velka's Rapier (just run in, grab it, upgrade)
    - Tracers (of course, you have to somehow make it to them without a farmed weapon...maybe just use a raw one)
    - Crescent Axe (snuff patches out after getting lordvessel, probably with crystal halberd, good for FAI builds)
    - Dragonslayer Bow (not exactly easy to use as a primary weapon in PvE though).

The other weapons are not guaranteed drops (black and silver knight weapons), or are too weak (Astora's).  Either silver knight weapon is excellent for dex builds, while black knight has some good STR options.  The problem with these is that they necessitate farming for the weapons themselves instead of for chunks, however they're much less farming-intensive even so.  Twinkling titanite upgrades are by far the most preferable to those who hate farming, and as a result I have a ton of armor sets like Giants, Black Iron, Silver Knight, Paladin, etc but almost never bother with the knight sets.

Regardless, I very much like things that take no/minimal farming to set up.
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 pm

As someone who mainly plays on the PvE side of things:

Balder Side Sword: I use this sword in most battles, unless it's against certain bosses. I'm a fan of straight swords in general.
    Falchion: Favorite weapon to use against Four Kings, for obvious reasons.
    The Katanas: Great for the Stray Demon and Demon Firesage and other bosses and enemies.
    Black Bow of Pharis: Sometimes I like to snipe at enemies for fun and I like the range.
    Scythe: I really like using this on Gravelord Nito.
    Great Scythe: I started using this in Seath the Scaleless. I use it mostly for the move set.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    It's one of the few maxed weapons that you can get without any serious farming, others being:

The Gravelord Great Sword is Another one, while it's demon titanite, just the demon near Andre, the ones in Sens(already at 5) and the abundance of demon titanite in Anor Londo means maxing it out is super easy, not even counting the ones you can easily trade for. And to 2h it's low reqs of 16/13 make it a good option for many builds, and it has little scaling so it's not handicapped to badly by not investing further into str/dex.

Often overlooked because of some stigma about noobs, is the drake sword. Which when fully upgraded sports a very decent 300 pure physical AR, which isn't bad considering to wield it you could have stats as low as 12/10 to 2h. A trip through ash lake along with the scale found in blighttown near the entrance to ash lake gives you 6 scales, one can be traded from snuggly two can be gotten from undead dragons and the final scale is a simple kill on the hydra in darkroot basin. Which means as soon as you get to BEFORE Kellog, even without killing the valley dragon or farming drakes a quick stroll in the lake will get you to +4 and 280 AR is plenty to get you through AL
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:04 pm

The Gravelord Great Sword is Another one, while it's demon titanite, just the demon near Andre, the ones in Sens(already at 5) and the abundance of demon titanite in Anor Londo means maxing it out is super easy, not even counting the ones you can easily trade for. And to 2h it's low reqs of 16/13 make it a good option for many builds, and it has little scaling so it's not handicapped to badly by not investing further into str/dex.

I forgot about this one.  It's solid, and I've seen an impressive speed run with it.

Often overlooked because of some stigma about noobs, is the drake sword. Which when fully upgraded sports a very decent 300 pure physical AR, which isn't bad considering to wield it you could have stats as low as 12/10 to 2h. A trip through ash lake along with the scale found in blighttown near the entrance to ash lake gives you 6 scales, one can be traded from snuggly two can be gotten from undead dragons and the final scale is a simple kill on the hydra in darkroot basin. Which means as soon as you get to BEFORE Kellog, even without killing the valley dragon or farming drakes a quick stroll in the lake will get you to +4 and 280 AR is plenty to get you through AL

You can get through AL with a zwei +5 at 16/10.  The problem with the drake sword is that you do all, that run down to ash lake then you have to climb back out if you do this before AL, and even after all of THAT, you could have a comparable weapon by simply upgrading a weapon along the "raw" path at base stats lol.  For example a raw halberd +5 2h at 13/13 has an AR of 299.  Killing capra demon and homeward bone charging the large ember is a lot faster than going down into ash lake!

And that's before scaling.  Though raw damages scaling, you still get:

337 AR (27/13) 2h
    382 AR (16/40) 2h
    410 AR (27/40) 2h

This from something you can trivially pick up en route to the gargoyles, kill the gargoyles on base stats, upgrade it to +5, kill capra easily with wolf ring to poise trade the dogs, and grab the ember for +5 raw which you can *buy* your way into.  Not only does this quickly surpass the drake sword in damage, but maxing it is faster, costs comparable amounts of souls (you find some large shards, and drake sword upgrades themselves are expensive), and is easily enough to clear the game outright, not just AL.

The problem is that neither raw weapons nor the drake sword are really viable in PvP.  Raw is often 100+ AR weaker than +15 at max scaling on a given weapon, making what might have otherwise been a respectable path worthless.

It all comes back to chunks, always to chunks.  To get them you have to go out of your way, do lots of quit/restart, or farm.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    The problem is that neither raw weapons nor the drake sword are really viable in PvP.  Raw is often 100+ AR weaker than +15 at max scaling on a given weapon, making what might have otherwise been a respectable path worthless.

It all comes back to chunks, always to chunks.  To get them you have to go out of your way, do lots of quit/restart, or farm.

You'd have thought that From would let us make +10 raw weapons with the V large ember wouldn't you? There aren't any other paths in the game that stop halfway. It would also make them useful.

Now that I think about it, there ought to be a large raw ember for them. They perform a different role to +15 weapons (better damage with lower stats), so should have a different ember.

On a related note, another fairly good low level weapon is the jagged ghost blade. Its damage isn't the greatest but its 2H R1s are very fast, it does bleed and most importantly, it has next to no scaling. It also has a rather interesting set of R2 moves.
    DanTastic

Post by DanTastic Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:02 am

Shakie666 wrote:Now that I think about it, there ought to be a large raw ember for them. They perform a different role to +15 weapons (better damage with lower stats), so should have a different ember.

Building on that, I've always thought that Raw should serve as a sort of anti-Crystal upgrade.  Meaning that raw weapons should have lower damage output, but with ridiculously high durability.

Edit: Just realized I neglected to answer the main topic.  Whoops.  

In any event, for me it's all about the Longsword and Claymore.  There are other weapons I dig like the Drake Sword, Gravelord Sword, or especially the katanas, but I see those more as utility weapons.  The Longsword and Claymore not only have fantastic movesets and low stat requirements, but more importantly style.

Last edited by DanTastic on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : negligence)
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 am

On a related note, another fairly good low level weapon is the jagged ghost blade. Its damage isn't the greatest but its 2H R1s are very fast, it does bleed and most importantly, it has next to no scaling. It also has a rather interesting set of R2 moves.

It has a lower AR than +15 weapons in its tier even at base stats unfortunately.  The bleed is nice but that can be had from better alternatives as well.

I agree that the raw path could have used a continuation, though if it also relied on chunks/slabs I'd want nothing to do with it lol.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 am

The Jagged ghost blade is often the simplest way for a character to take out Asylum demon early. And getting it and putting it at like +2 from the first lizard you kill gives you a weapon enough to get through Quellag and it takes very little going out of your way typically I find one just clearing ghosts on my way to the composite bow
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:11 am

eh? Nice trick getting to New Londo Ruins before reaching leaving the Asylum.
    PierreSBK71
    PierreSBK71

Post by PierreSBK71 Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 am

(Premise, I play basically only PvE)

My faves:

-Great Lord Greatsword +5
    -Zweihander +15
    -Black Bow of Pharis +15 with poison arrows (I always have a bow as a backup)
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Jansports wrote:The Jagged ghost blade is often the simplest way for a character to take out Asylum demon early. And getting it and putting it at like +2 from the first lizard you kill gives you a weapon enough to get through Quellag and it takes very little going out of your way typically I find one just clearing ghosts on my way to the composite bow

You can kill quelag easily enough with basically any +5 weapon.  Halberd, which is on the way to gargs anyway, is a great choice, but so is the Zwei, a spear, a bow, or most any other +5 weapon depending on your build.

And unless you're doing a challenge run, it's easy enough to beat quelag with a bow +0 and summoning mildred.  I beat her with a regular halberd +0 and shortbow +0 a few days ago, and it's not like it was particularly challenging (mildred did most of the damage while I pain-locked quelag quite a bit).  With a +5 weapon?  Soloing her would be reasonable.  Just run around unlocked until she spits fire, then take a swing or two and repeat.

No farming for an underwhelming weapon (except for its convenience killing ghosts) required.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Green__Eagle wrote:eh? Nice trick getting to New Londo Ruins before reaching leaving the Asylum.

My mistake I meant the STRAY demon. That is located in the Asylum.

I stand by the usefulness of a bleed causing weapon usable by basically any build.

There were not many options for my KJ suicide bomber and weapons.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 pm

I figured as much; my mind is turning mushy and that comment would have been better left unstated.
    OminousSquaffle
    OminousSquaffle
    Casual
    Casual

Post by OminousSquaffle Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 am

Murakumo. It's sexy as hell. I've taken to Some guy's recent style (using mura and an offhand falchion) and it's actually worked quite well. People never expect that lightning-fast offhand attack :3
    BloodTempest
    BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodTempest Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Abyss Greatsword for Artorias Cosplay(My future build)

Gold Tracer for awesome looks.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:03 am

my favorite weapon now is the obsidian greatswors it also fits my characters look

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:51 pm