Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+50
DOOM996
gateslol7
Bassman Bob
cerealaire
BloodTempest
OminousSquaffle
PierreSBK71
Green__Eagle
DanTastic
Jansports
Marionx
RANT
Kirk-Barb
Aendron
Hue
Ariona Allant
Shakie666
reim0027
ScottyDoesKnow
Gollumseverywhere
KrazykevS10
VaDoom
MacDragon65
Serious_Much
GrinTwist
Gambs_the_Grey
TheGreatGrapsy
Dibsville
TheMeInTeam
Soul of Stray Demon
Animaaal
Devokai
Sentiel
billy_bayonet
Automancer
Hart
AnCapaillMor
WaffleGuy
Pilgrim34
drdrack
General Bale
hey its andres
Kisuke Urahara
LunarFog
skarekrow13
Exclusive
TheBlackWaltz
Carphil
FAMISIL1
LukeboyDS
54 posters

Favorite Weapon

billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Favorite Weapon - Page 2 Empty Re: Favorite Weapon

Post by billy_bayonet Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm

drives me insane when people always strive for the most damage per swing out of a weapon, you are missing the most beautiful form of Fighting.

Chain combos
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm

I use it on 28/40, whilst knowing that 40/40 would make it a beast.

The damage is pretty good, but when I go against a UGS, or worse, I switch to my Rapier.
    I use Rapier to make up for Broadswords/Longswords lack of critical damage and to safe poke big Str weapons.

What I like the most about these weapons is their ability to combo for 1000+ damage and that's without finishing the combo with a backstab. It is also exceptional vs DWGR users and low Poise guys.

However, out of all Broadsword users I fought, with the only exception being Billy, they were all super aggresive and easily got parried, or backstabbed. Sometimes, they tried to combo me super hard, but I got more Poise, so that didn't go well for them either.

One random I met the other and Billy are the only guys I know how to use these weapons. Not saying I know how either, I'm still learning. winking
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:14 pm

billy_bayonet wrote:drives me insane when people always strive for the most damage per swing out of a weapon, you are missing the most beautiful form of Fighting.

Chain combos

Well of course, but you can chain combo with quite a few weapons that have much nicer scaling properties.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a broadsword on a quality build precisely because of how it combos.  It rips health quickly.  However, I don't like elemental weapons in general because split damage combos struggle against dedicated scaled +15, and it's even worse with buffs like your typical DM kat or Great Scythe or something.  When people bring that out on you and have decent poise, you can't really combo with an elemental broadsword unless you can stagger them, because the trades will be so painfully in their favor even if they only get 1-2 hits in.

It's not a very ideal hit + roll weapon, so you really want to be able to combo at least sometimes...even if it CAN beat some weapons with hit and roll.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

MLBH

Claw

Hand Axe....its kinda op.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:34 pm

I can't use Claw, but Hand Axe is amazing. People underestimate it, but on a Quality build, that thing wrecks.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:50 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    billy_bayonet wrote:drives me insane when people always strive for the most damage per swing out of a weapon, you are missing the most beautiful form of Fighting.

Chain combos

Well of course, but you can chain combo with quite a few weapons that have much nicer scaling properties.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a broadsword on a quality build precisely because of how it combos.  It rips health quickly.  However, I don't like elemental weapons in general because split damage combos struggle against dedicated scaled +15, and it's even worse with buffs like your typical DM kat or Great Scythe or something.  When people bring that out on you and have decent poise, you can't really combo with an elemental broadsword unless you can stagger them, because the trades will be so painfully in their favor even if they only get 1-2 hits in.

It's not a very ideal hit + roll weapon, so you really want to be able to combo at least sometimes...even if it CAN beat some weapons with hit and roll.

i use broadsword on a 16/45 a 28/40 and a 40/40 and tbh making it chaos is just silly unless im on my darkstalker toons, if you would a demonstration on how it can deal with a Buffer i will be happy to show
    Devokai
    Devokai
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Devokai Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Longsword, Claymore, Life Hunt. My main go-to weapons for mixing up my style at any point.

Just commenting on all the broadsword talk, I can really see how the advancing r2 is super useful in both hands. But it's just ugly imo :)Fashion souls comes before efficiency.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Sentiel wrote:I can't use Claw, but Hand Axe is amazing. People underestimate it, but on a Quality build, that thing wrecks.

Ya, I can only use the Claw with any amount of success with a MLBH in my left hand while fast rolling.  Having a few castings can really help too.

And at 2.0 lbs for what the Hand Axe can do?!?!....its pretty amazing.

About Broadsword....it doesn't scare me...unless its a Spartan build.....I don't %$#@ with Spartans.twistedevil
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Black Knight Greataxe. May not be the best weapon, but there's nothing cooler then swinging around an over-sized axe.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 am

i use broadsword on a 16/45 a 28/40 and a 40/40 and tbh making it chaos is just silly unless im on my darkstalker toons, if you would a demonstration on how it can deal with a Buffer i will be happy to show

I wouldn't mind if you had some videos just to see the approach.  I don't think I am quite at the PvP level where I'd be able to keep up with some of the bigger names here (especially not overseas with the connection issues), and I don't have a dex buff class anymore (My dex/faith went with my hard drive that went bad).

28/40 and 40/40 are both quality though.  At 16/45 it reaches 374 AR while 2h and 345 otherwise.  That's not awful, because it swings quickly, but it's not amazing either.  I can only picture a couple things you could do:

1.  Hit them without being hit
    2.  Parry or backstab
    3.  If they're low poise, win trades with stagger --> combo

If they have enough poise, I can't see how one could trade or even initiate the combo, short of baiting an attack and then going into it that way.  I don't doubt that you could beat me with it even if I buffed a kat, but you could probably do just as well with an uchi (422 1h AR on 16/45), BSS (384 1h AR), SKSS (if that's your thing instead, similar damage as BSS), or even something like the falchion (393 AR).  All of these give you more AR with 1 hand than 2h broadsword gives at 16/45, and while they don't match the broadsword's moveset perfectly they have their own potential.

I don't doubt you could cherry-tap and still win, but that doesn't mean the broadsword is a strong choice on a primarily dex stat distribution.  Is there a theoretical reason I'm missing that gives it more viability despite a markedly lower AR?  It looks very competitive to me at either 28 or 40 str but less so at 16, where its 1h attacks will be only a bit stronger than an estoc's.

The reason I mentioned it as elemental is for lower SL type builds (IE SL 55 in particular), where you wouldn't necessarily want to invest heavily in scaling stats and thus weapons are more likely to be chosen based solely upon things like base stat requirements, weight and movesets.  IMO while you can use it at SL 100 and 16str, it's best as part of either a true quality build or a low-stat elemental.

Feel free to correct where I'm missing out on something though.  You have more PvP experience than I, and it's possible I'm overlooking something since I've not used it in strict duel environments.

Just commenting on all the broadsword talk, I can really see how the advancing r2 is super useful in both hands. But it's just ugly imo :)Fashion souls comes before efficiency.

It has impressive damage, poise break, dead angle potential, and you can work attacks off of it.  However, most straight sword 2h r2 attacks have that AFAIK.  Broad sword also has it off 1h r2s, instead of the more common stab animation.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:25 am

Longsword

The Halberd comes to an extremely close second, but the Longsword is something I've fallen in love with.
    TheGreatGrapsy

Post by TheGreatGrapsy Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 am

I have two favorites atm, the Great Scythe and the Balder Side Sword. One's quick with decent range, and the other has awesome range and respectable damage. Depends on what and who I'm fighting for which one I use.
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gambs_the_Grey Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:31 pm

I have a lot of love for my fire barbed straight sword + and Gargoyles Halberd
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:51 pm

Notched Whip is also growing on me. At +15 it can actually do some really good damage and is surprisingly good at poise breaks.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Longsword, broadsword, and painted guardian sword.

The moveset of that little thing is beautiful.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Priscilla's Dagger has an awesome moveset as well, but if you don't 2h that thing then you'll just dance around and bounce off of people's shields.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 am

Chaos Blade. I used it before it was cool and everyone **** on it cool
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 am

Chaos blade was never cool.

I've avoided posting because honestly I was hesitant to pick a favorite out of the many weapons I enjoy using.

I'd really want to say ascended flame, or canvas talisman or TCC as spells are and have always been a big part of the souls games for me, but I don't feel these items are themselves weapons, the spells themselves are, and It'd be really odd to say Wrath of the Gods is my favorite weapon, though it has been said before "Great combustion is my favorite sword" so maybe I wouldn't be out of line.

I thought the Composite Bow in it's many forms would be a logical choice, I use it on most of my builds in some way, Occult Chaos or Enchanted it's an amazing tool to get long range(or short range) chip damage and keep pressure on a target. And with Leo Ring it's damage is comparable to most average weapons with attacks as fast as it can loose an arrow. But honestly I just find the bow effective and useful, I don't get any particular joy from using it other than the joys of dealing damage effectively and safely.

In the end the only weapon I use that I feel something special for is the BKGA. I love the way it looks, I love it's swings, that first upward swing, the horizontal 1h moveset, the crushing running attacks. Despite it's stupid weight and requirements and regardless of it's effectiveness I just enjoy hitting people with this thing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:30 am

Haters can hate silly

Favorite Weapon - Page 2 IMG_20111121_222822
    MacDragon65
    MacDragon65

Post by MacDragon65 Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:33 am

RH: Balder Side Sword
    LH: Avelyn
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:37 am

Broadsword. I couldn't believe it at first, then I practice a little and got tought some tricks.
    Now it's the weapon I played with the most.
    This with a composite bow in a quality build is my favorite setup.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:25 pm

My other favourite weapon would have to be my mighty foot.I can fit it on any build,it has fantastic poise break and the kick+gravity combo is enough to one-shot anyone.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm

KrazykevS10 wrote:My other favourite weapon would have to be my mighty foot.I can fit it on any build,it has fantastic poise break and the kick+gravity combo is enough to one-shot anyone.

#1 reason to carry a Chaos Knife around for crits instead of a rapier.

#2 reason to use a katana to cause bleed instead of a curved sword

#1 tactic against AFK targets.

I'm Jansports and I approve this message
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Can I answer this with lag? It's the most unpredictable weapon, but it can cause such laughs.
    Gollumseverywhere
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Gollumseverywhere Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:53 am

I have to say claymore. I find that 2h running attack to be extremely useful on my 40/40 dex/strength build... I can honestly say ive had many zero loss nights in the forest because of it...i must try the broadsword

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 am