Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Tolvo
Soris Ice Goldwing
Emergence
Aigaios
reim0027
TheMeInTeam
Hugh_G_Johnson
Latitoast
wretchedsausage
e134rr0n
14 posters

When the sun goes down... the creeps come out to play

e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

When the sun goes down... the creeps come out to play Empty When the sun goes down... the creeps come out to play

Post by e134rr0n Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:04 am

Hey all.
    New to the forums so just using this as a form of introduction, been enjoying some pvp in ooly tonight (psn) and having a few beers devil

just began to notice a trend;

my first 10 or so invasions of of the night were all excellent 1v1s (with the exception of a couple surprise WoGs sending me to quick dark demise)  but is it just me or as it gets later do more and more and gankers come out to play? haha. Last three times i invaded there were 2 summons waiting for me at the spawn point:died: 

Also noted;
    Seems like the last hour or so there has been less honor involved. I like to do my 1v1s with a nice formal bow start, no healys, etc. but from probably aroun 1-1:30 (us ET) started having a lot more people backstab while i bowed, run into mobs to use humanity, jump off when I was about to win to spite me. Stuff like that.
    Any who, really did just mean for this to be an introduction! Nice to be here!
    wretchedsausage
    wretchedsausage
    Addicted
    Addicted

When the sun goes down... the creeps come out to play Empty Re: When the sun goes down... the creeps come out to play

Post by wretchedsausage Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:11 am

Welcome to the family happy
    I'm sure you'll fit in here really well.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

When the sun goes down... the creeps come out to play Empty Re: When the sun goes down... the creeps come out to play

Post by Latitoast Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:16 am

It might be based off where you live, what timezone are you in?

I'm in the East Coast and I've noticed it too, a lot of scumbags come out at night, just a few minutes ago someone tried to attack me while I was applying Resin, and someone else straight up went for the backstab. There's a lot of BS fishers too.
    e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

Post by e134rr0n Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:23 am

@latltoast

Yeah east coast here too, i had a pretty funny one happen just before i quit actually. Hosts standing at the bottom of stairs from bonfire in Ooly town, bows, I bow, so i walk down start the fight, there must've been two phantoms because i got hit with a WoG and Gravelord sword dance simultaneously haha:biggrin:

Yeah every other fight i was in tonight there was someone fishing for a bs at least half of the time.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:48 am

Just be thankful you're on Xbox, bad players come out during the day, scumbags come out at night.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:13 am

Look at your 'players met'; dollars to donuts most of the creeps are Japanese.  Japanese players are known for being laggy and having a play-to-win mentality.
    e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

Post by e134rr0n Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:53 pm

im ps3 actually haha

@hugh
     but yeah there does seem to be a pattern of japanese names, or at least a fair amount of anime references, tho whos to say based on that alone.
    I dont mind the play-to-win mentality so much, some of the stuff gets frustrating but honestly trying to overcome it just gets be better i feel like.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:Look at your 'players met'; dollars to donuts most of the creeps are Japanese.  Japanese players are known for being laggy and having a play-to-win mentality.

They're laggy because of bad net code connecting between two places that already have a long latency.

The only thing that bothers me for more than a moment are hackers.  They are unfortunately also out in more force at night.  Just yesterday I saw 4 different players ninja-flipping in full havel's or other impossible gear, from entrance to forest to bridge (infinite stamina), and 3 with frozen HP different from the havel's guys (I BC'd out).

I don't think you can stereotype foreign players of any kind, when we have good ole local players casting TWoP on you on spawn and then spamming beads/CSS from 2 players.  There's nothing you can do; you're going to die to that if you spawn there.  Even THAT bothers me less than hackers...much less.

I envy Ps3's ability to actually block people.  I've reported people for hacking and avoided them and the game will still **** force me to invade them.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:37 pm

I don't have a problem with play to win, but I consider winning to be coming out on top in a fair competition.  If you notice a lot a Japanese players have builds and playstyles that are only designed to back-stab and they fish laggy ones at that.  Either they know what they're doing and are gutless cowards or they don't and they're idiots.  Unfortunately, that's the only conclusion I can come up with.  

And team... it's not EVERY Japanese player, but it is a shocking majority.  And it's the opposite of a stereotype.  My feelings on Japanese people/culture were very positive until I began interacting with them in this game.  
    e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

Post by e134rr0n Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:08 pm

I was ganked this morning where as i invaded the summon ran up and TWoP'd me, then host WoG spams me until 2nd TWoP cast, rinse and repeat to death haha.

then they bow'd of course thumbs up

luckily one invaded me after so i got a little taste of revenge via a sunlit claymore to the face.

Playing to wins just that tho, cant hate on it, i bow before every match sometimes i get screwed for doing that but at least a couple times a day ill end up in another match with the person and ill just bow again id say 50% of the time they bow back and its a better fight.

plus stuff like that just gives you more drive to beat them to a pulp!!
    I think every souls player must be more than accustomed to unfair deaths at this point, just think back to your first play through how much you wanted to kill every game designer at From.

Edit:
    If anyone wants a straight up duel ive been dropping a red soap where people summon for knight art and kalameet, just message me. My psn ID is the same as my username. Im making a new sl 80 this afternoon though so evening would be better.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:29 pm

e134 - welcome man!

@Hugh - careful with those generalizations. I don't want any group pigeon holed like that.
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:27 pm

What is it with all the racism?

Dark Souls is a Japanese game and therefore has a lot of Japanese players, this is one reason we see so many players from Japan. Because there is a higher chance for you to run into a player from Japan there us also a higher chance to run into a Japanese player that would use tactics that you consider cheap.

That said hating on a whole country because some people from it dont play the way you would like them to play is really childish, and going so far to say that a game changed your whole opinion of the countries culture and people makes little to no sense to me.

Welcome e134, they gank you and then bow right, i know how you feel man.thumbs up 
    Its more annoying then when that do the 'Point down' gesture.
    e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

Post by e134rr0n Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Haha yeah, its a slap in the face to those of us who use a bow to indicate we'll be fighting straight up. At least shoot me a "well what is it?" or something if your gonna gank!

I managed to blast a host of a 3v1 off the edge of the stairs today tho that was pretty satisfying.

I haven't had to deal with this many gankers since the game came out and i was in the well hated forest cov. I think people must just be bored waiting on dksII
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:I don't have a problem with play to win, but I consider winning to be coming out on top in a fair competition.  If you notice a lot a Japanese players have builds and playstyles that are only designed to back-stab and they fish laggy ones at that.  Either they know what they're doing and are gutless cowards or they don't and they're idiots.  Unfortunately, that's the only conclusion I can come up with.  

And team... it's not EVERY Japanese player, but it is a shocking majority.  And it's the opposite of a stereotype.  My feelings on Japanese people/culture were very positive until I began interacting with them in this game.  

The benevolence of a Fex, a Japanese woman and gamer combined with the gracious generosity of Japan's famous Livedoor Wiki and their entire community allowed us to translate from Japanese to English and create the foundation for this amazing site you all come to talk Souls on.  If that hasn't bolstered your impression of Japanese culture then please go somewhere else to talk souls.

Last edited by Emergence on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Hugh quiet okay or just edit that out.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Not to mention there are a lot of people from other countries with japanese sounding PSN ID's since anime and such things have made japanese things trendy, as well there are likely japanese players with PSN ID's that sound like they're from other countries.  I remember playing with someone with the words Hulk and Hogan in their ID, along with a lot of other things.  Turned out they were japanese and didn't speak a word of english.  I can only imagine the awesomeness that is Hulk Hogan, American Hero, doesn't require translation into any language.  I find it odd how often people assume another player is of a region/ethnic group, unless they tell us they are we have no reason to actually assume they are.  Hell, some people just say "I don't understand your language" to not have to talk to people.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Hugh that's a shocking opinion to have compressed into a misguided, incorrect and pitiful blanket statement :|

Don't get how a game can change someone's perception of culture in a negative way if I'm perfectly honest.. Not like I say my view of americans has dimmed because of COD.

Anyways, back on OP. In my opinion this trend of people with more try hard to win mentalities corresponds with the types of people who stay up late to game. These people will include those more obsessed with video games than most playing dks, people with few friends (can correlate with the first point), people who have psychological issues to crave victory to make up for their lack thereof of accomplishment elsewhere in their life and other such specific groups of people. There's a number of reasons, but generally if you means you stay up later playing the game you'll be more likely or I guess you could say 'at risk' of using tactics like that. Obviously tough, there's numerous other reasons that people do it. But there's one aspect silly
    e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

Post by e134rr0n Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Fair point,
    I tend to play late at night because i dont sleep well and work most of the day, just happened that i have this weekend off and i got to enjoy (mostly) some nice friendly pvp earlier in the day and noticed a drastic increase in gankage as i approached my usual hours.

On another note,
    I really had intended this topic as just a coy comment / introducing myself to the forum so as soon as I work out how im going to close it before it becomes an argument devil

thanks for the welcomes!
    e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

Post by e134rr0n Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 pm

I guess i would go about that by requesting it be locked?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 am

You can PM one of the Admins or Mods online to lock a topic if you wish to.  Yeah, not a very good first impression of the forum I imagine with the arguments.  But uh, trust me, we're usually better than this.

I'm very trustworthy, I'm a doctor!

And by that, I mean I've played a doctor.

I'm lying still, I'm just an actor.

A terrible one.

But yeah, PM an Admin/Mod about locking the thread.
    e134rr0n
    e134rr0n

Post by e134rr0n Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:40 am

Gotchya,
    yeah no worries about the impression haha, mainly just would rather my first post not turn toxic.:dung:
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:38 am

I'll sell you some blooming moss.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:41 am

Tolvo wrote:...I'm lying still, I'm just an actor...

He's still lying, his name backwards is ovlot.Suspicious 
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 am

I've seen some Japanese tryhards before,doesn't mean all players in the country are.I'd chalk it up to bad luck if anything,not like I haven't seen hordes of tryhards from every other country. It's a problem with individual people rather than a culture.

Back to the original post,there is a golden time early in the night to play when more normal people are on.Play too early or too late in the day and you tend to find more players you'll dislike.I'd say the reason for it is that the people who work and just play more for fun get on for a bit after they've gotten home and had dinner.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 am

When the connection is so bad that they can front stab you from just inside lock-on range, what do you want them to do?  I don't care if they fish or just attack you, you can't possibly have a quality match that way.  They might as well fish kill you and get it over with, or vice versa if somehow you wind up with the better connection.

I wish the game simply avoided invasions on sufficiently large ping (300ms plus maybe?  Maybe less).  There's no way you can have a quality experience when the connection disparity is longer than multiple attacks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:05 pm