Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
StiffNipples
ScottyDoesKnow
6 posters

SL50 MLGS Build Advice - Dark Hand Shield

ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

SL50 MLGS Build Advice - Dark Hand Shield Empty SL50 MLGS Build Advice - Dark Hand Shield

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:24 am

So here are the current configurations of my build, I've been using the first one a lot cause I love the rapier but I don't know about the dark hand. Looks awesome when not raised, but I don't like the noise and it blocks your view when it is.

Dark Hand + Rapier: http://mmdks.com/30ld
    East-West + Composite: http://mmdks.com/30le
    Wooden + Short Bow or Catalyst: http://mmdks.com/3039

I love the wooden shield and want to use it, but with the rapier that's 4 more points in endurance which is 4 less in vitality. The dark hand just feels so insubstantial, is it actually any good? I know I shouldn't be blocking much but I'm still pretty much a noob so I need to sometimes.

I do also notice I run out of stamina a lot though so it might be good to have the extra. Decisions, decisions. Are there any poise breaks between 42 and 47? Because I could always drop the iron bracelets for eastern gauntlets and use grass crest instead.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

SL50 MLGS Build Advice - Dark Hand Shield Empty Re: SL50 MLGS Build Advice - Dark Hand Shield

Post by StiffNipples Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:43 am

If you don't care about looks throw on the Hollow Soldiers Waistcloth for 54 Poise which hits the next poise break.

You're swinging a Greatsword, it's going to burn through your stamina, I haven't really used the Dark Hand too much, but it's very lacking in stability to blocking will use lots of stamina and your guard will break easily, saying that it weighs sfa and has good magic defense.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

SL50 MLGS Build Advice - Dark Hand Shield Empty Re: SL50 MLGS Build Advice - Dark Hand Shield

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 am

I've been using the mlgs+dark hand. It works great as long as you don't just turtle. Be the attacker.
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:04 pm

How's the small leather shield? I have a feeling I'll hate the look, but it does have a nice stability bonus (30 -> 40). Bad magic resist but that's really only for magic damage weapons, don't usually try to block magic.

Edit: Unfortunately I do very much care about looks, so no waistcloth for me.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:17 pm

I've found the Small leather shield to be quite decent and it doesn't look bad with the right armour selection. And both the Dark Hand and the SLS become pretty awesome if you buff them with Strong Magic Shield
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:28 pm

ScottyDoesKnow wrote:..... The dark hand just feels so insubstantial, is it actually any good?...

I feel that for pvp, the Darkhand might be the best “shield” available.  There are a few things that make it unique. The Darkhand has a much stonger affinity towards pvp for a couple different reasons.

-It blocks 80% of any incoming damage type (80/80/80/80).  Bear in mind this is only IF you have the stamina to absorb the attack you are blocking.

-The Darkhand has incredibly LOW stability…however, if you are not tanking, then it actually benefits you in pvp.  Because of its low stability, you can block an attack from an Ultra Weapon, and be completely knocked out of its stun lock range.

The following quote sums it up nicely…..

Acarnatia wrote:I've been using the mlgs+dark hand. It works great as long as you don't just turtle. Be the attacker.

ScottyDoesKnow wrote:...I do also notice I run out of stamina a lot though so it might be good to have the extra.....
    Bear in mind that all the shields you are using have pretty low stability.  If you want a shield that blocks 2 or 3 hits and still leaves you with some stamina to function, there are much better options.  However, the shields you are using are great choices for the “stick and move” playstyle.

Dusk Soul wrote:I've found the Small leather shield to be quite decent and it doesn't look bad with the right armour selection. And both the Dark Hand and the SLS become pretty awesome if you buff them with Strong Magic Shield

If I have a +1 you’re getting it.  I LOVE SMS. If you can pull off buffs in duel, then you can use this with equal efficiency.

The 2 things about SMS I dislike are:
    1-It does nothing  against dead angles.
    2-It only lasts 15 seconds.

However, it is INSANELY powerful.  With the DWGR you are practically immune to damage for 15 seconds.  It also lowers the damage you take from partial parries even further.  Heck, I use it on the MLBH in my left hand.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:52 pm

This is what I would do using MLGS at SL50.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=477992287538279026

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:09 pm