Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Jansports
robsthedon
xenon_nobelium
Dibsville
testspecimen85
9 posters

MLGS Build Advice

testspecimen85
    testspecimen85
    Casual
    Casual

MLGS Build Advice Empty MLGS Build Advice

Post by testspecimen85 Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:52 am

I've wanted to make another Moonlight Greatsword build since I erased all of my INT toons a while ago.  I rarely use magic, but I remember loving the MLGS back in the day.  Anyway, this is what I'm thinking.  The spells aren't set in stone or anything, but I do want a mix of pyro and sorcery.  Does anyone see any obvious improvements I might be able to make?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

MLGS Build Advice Empty Re: MLGS Build Advice

Post by Dibsville Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:55 am

http://mmdks.com/312v

Higher defense, still 61 poise, Enchanted Rapier over Chaos.
    Two extra stat points to allocate.
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:13 am

http://mmdks.com/315b have a little decency! concept is easily executed @ lvl100, no need to go total overkill!
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:18 am

Dibsville wrote:http://mmdks.com/312v

Higher defense, still 61 poise, Enchanted Rapier over Chaos.
    Two extra stat points to allocate.

Reduce dex to 12 increase att to 19
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:37 am

http://mmdks.com/316e

You can always menu swap if you want to pull out a rapier, extra stats thrown in End Armor choices tilted towards getting better physical/fire/lightning defenses as Crown makes trying to beef up magic defense pointless.

Spells chosen for variety of coverage and assumes you'll be free aiming the MLGS R2s in place of any Great Fireballs. Black Flame for poise damage, firesurge for chip/raw dps, Bead for Mid-close range threat, HCSM for instances when your opponent is too far to punish it.

Once you have HCSM active you can 2h the MLGS and as soon as they pop into range to activate HCSM start an R2 which you can manually aim towards the end point of their roll should they choose to dodge HCSM. (This little trick is perhaps one of the biggest reasons I consider MLGS one of the top 3 weapons in the game, it's scaling stat facilitates a nasty combo that rewards you with great damage)
    testspecimen85
    testspecimen85
    Casual
    Casual

Post by testspecimen85 Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:19 pm

So I've taken all of your suggestions and come up with this.  I don't really use a shield when I play like this and also I like to be able to swap two-handed to a catalyst of flame with only the left d-pad.  I've removed one slot of attunement in favor of 50 END and 45 INT.  Also replaced the rapier with an enchanted falchion.  I can use either weapon as my sidearm and switch my armor accordingly.

Is it going to be problematic to only have 3 spell slots?  I think it might work.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:07 pm

I would feel naked with only 3 spell slots and enough Int to use the likes of Pursuers/CSS/HCSM ect. But thats me. If you think you can work with just 3 go for it.

I always would highly advise against Child Mask, it's the weakest stamina effect, and at 40+ you shouldn't be having any real stamina issues at all.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Well there's no reason for 13 dex, when the most you'll need for wep req's is 12. And I would definitely take a light shield over the flame just for the sake of black flame.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:54 pm

I don't like using magic, but i have strictly MLGS build.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=175520688791780677

It's pretty fun, and people expect me to take out a catalyst but it never happens.
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:29 am

A couple builds of mine if it helps:

MLGS + Magic: http://mmdks.com/31lj
    MLGS: http://mmdks.com/31lk
    St1cky1cky1775
    St1cky1cky1775
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by St1cky1cky1775 Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:48 am

Check the build I have in my signature. It's quite beastly.
    testspecimen85
    testspecimen85
    Casual
    Casual

Post by testspecimen85 Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Ok, I looked at the build I posted earlier and realized I had wasted a point in dexterity.  I have the actual final build done.  I'd like to specifically thank Dibsville and Jansports as it's an amalgamation of both of their suggestions.  It has 5 attunement slots and the endurance to swap a heater shield for the rapier if the situation calls for it.

Thanks everyone!
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Looks solid, but I have one more for you.

http://mmdks.com/31xc

All I did was bump your INT down to 40, since that is a natural break point on stats. I also bumped VIT down to 49 (You're only losing 14HP, so it's fine), and bumped DEX up to 13. I put a few stats points into END, that way you can switch to a 3.0 weight shield, such as the Crest Shield.

13 DEX will allow you to swap to something like the Falchion. If you'd prefer to not use it, you can drop the DEX back to 12 and get VIT back up to 50.

If you still prefer the build you made, that's fine. This is just one final general change.
    testspecimen85
    testspecimen85
    Casual
    Casual

Post by testspecimen85 Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Dibsville wrote:Looks solid, but I have one more for you.

http://mmdks.com/31xc

All I did was bump your INT down to 40, since that is a natural break point on stats. I also bumped VIT down to 49 (You're only losing 14HP, so it's fine), and bumped DEX up to 13. I put a few stats points into END, that way you can switch to a 3.0 weight shield, such as the Crest Shield.

13 DEX will allow you to swap to something like the Falchion. If you'd prefer to not use it, you can drop the DEX back to 12 and get VIT back up to 50.

If you still prefer the build you made, that's fine. This is just one final general change.

So many options, lol.  That's one thing I both love and hate about this game.  There's so much freedom that a build can tweaked and re-tweaked ad infinitum.  It drives an OCD person like me bat**** crazy.

The real thing I'm hung up on now is whether or not to have 4 or 5 spell slots.  4 would give me 3 extra points to distribute, but 5 would give me room to fool around with pursuers and other spells.

I think I'm going to get here by lvl 100 do some sparring before I add the remaining 25 points; see what's what.

Questions for Dibs:  Why bea's catalyst?  Looks?  Doe it scale better than sorcer's at 40 INT?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:17 pm

To answer your question: just simply looks. I prefer Bea over Sorcerer and Izalith.

Also, you should go for 5 Slots. You're already an 1800HP 61 poise mage. Most mages are 1100HP 40 Poise. I'm actually surprised how amazing this build turned out.

But anyway, you should strive for 5 slots. If you really don't think you need it, then you don't have to level it while you're sparring up from 100. You can decide whether you want it while you're leveling up.
    testspecimen85
    testspecimen85
    Casual
    Casual

Post by testspecimen85 Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Dibsville wrote:You're already an 1800HP 61 poise mage. Most mages are 1100HP 40 Poise. I'm actually surprised how amazing this build turned out.

Me too--err, well I still have to finish it.  Hopefully it's done in time for next Friday's FC. You and Jansports' help was invaluable.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:36 pm

This might sound like a pain, but if you aren't already consider getting a second and even third MLGS. I personally use the R2 a LOT and sometimes I have to swap to a fresh one mid fight cause I'm getting low on durability.

personally I think 5 spell slots is a good place to be. This lets you take a few core spells (Bead and HCSM would be my choice) then fiddle around with the other slots, try things like Dark Orb which as I said before looks like bead when you start to cast it but has a different cast time so you can catch people rolling at the wrong time. Pursuers is nice to use if you want a ton of pressure. As they're rolling away from them you can free aim the R2 and catch them, if the explosion stuns them they'll also eat the pursuers and probably be dead. CSS is a big damage favorite. Chameleon as a few cute uses.

I do however implore you NOT to attempt to use Great Heavy Soul Arrow or the like. It can hit someone, but not very often

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm