Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Zeta Prime
PlasticandRage
twigsterxd
SirArchmage
drdrack
Dibsville
SadPanda
11 posters

New Challenge Run Idea

SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

New Challenge Run Idea Empty New Challenge Run Idea

Post by SadPanda Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:54 pm

So after watching a playthrough of the Pokemon Nuzlocke challenge, I came up with an idea for possibly the hardest run in Dark Souls.

For anyone that doesn't know, the Nuzlocke challenge is a challenge run in Pokemon with the two distinct rules being:
    -If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead, and must be released.
    -You may only catch a Pokemon ONCE in each area. It must also be the first Pokemon you encounter in that area.

So I came up with a Nuzlocke Dark Souls challenge! Here are the rules (these will most likely be changed from feedback):
    -Max SL is 20.
    -No twink weapons.
    -No magic of any kind.
    -Your starting gift CANNOT be the master key.
    -Limit 3 resins per playthrough.
    -If you die, the equipment on your character upon death must be dropped.
    -After you start a boss fight, you CANNOT change your equipment at all.
    -You can only kindle ONE bonfire.
    -No summoning for help.
    -Cheesing methods are not allowed, (Manus bow trick, Capra firebomb/dung pie kill, Ceaseless Discharge glitch, etc.)
    -Once you enter NG+, ALL equipment must be dropped.

What do you guys think? It seems like a pretty difficult run, and I plan on doing it sometime this week.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

New Challenge Run Idea Empty Re: New Challenge Run Idea

Post by Dibsville Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Seems challenging yet fun. I'm definitely doing this after I finish my current run. Pretty amazing.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks lol. Don't give me the credit, I pretty much copied the rules of Pokemon Nuzlocke and put it into Dark Souls lol 
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:21 pm

You know whats makes this a better idea, If you die you must delete your character and start over

That my dear friends, is what we old gamers like to call "hardcore mode"

But who am i kid, I'm probably going to do your run instead though, lack of balls and all
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:31 pm

drdrack wrote:You know whats makes this a better idea, If you die you must delete your character and start over

But who am i kid, I'm probably going to do your run instead though, lack of balls and all
    No, because then you have annoying things like Bed of Chaos and falling off of a cliff on accident. It's definitely optional though.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:18 pm

drdrack wrote:You know whats makes this a better idea, If you die you must delete your character and start over

I am actually doing that right now. I am making characters, naming them after forum members, and seeing how long they last. Mr. Tart was blown up by Quelagg, Hart was trapped by skeletons, and so far RANT is on his way to Sen's Fortress.

http://www.ironmanmode.com/

twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Drop all equipment in ng+ ?
    Be real hard bare handed.
    Only 1 bonfire? Not a good choice as you die in anor you go all the way back to firelink or your kindled bf. Also, replenishing flasks means you have to go ALL the way back then fight your way back to where you were.
    No twink weapons? So we can use anything made with demon or dragon?
    If you die alot you better pray you can afford to buy lots of weapons.
    Sorry bud, just seems a little much unless you are real good.
    I like wut drdrack said tho, death, delete, start over
    And mage LOLOL
    Hart trapped by skellies bwahaha
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 pm

What's the Ceaseless Discharge glitch and Manus bow trick? I've been out of the loop for awhile.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:48 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:What's the Ceaseless Discharge glitch and Manus bow trick? I've been out of the loop for awhile.
    Discharge: Running back to the Fog Gate to have him kill himself

Manus: You can snipe him from above and kill him without ever entering the Fog Gate if you have enough arrows.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:48 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:What's the Ceaseless Discharge glitch and Manus bow trick? I've been out of the loop for awhile.
    When you fight Ceaseless, if you run back to the start, he'll jump on the land and die if you smack him a couple of times. And you can cheese Manus with a bow before entering the fog gate.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:52 pm

twigsterxd wrote:Drop all equipment in ng+ ?
    Be real hard bare handed.
    Only 1 bonfire? Not a good choice as you die in anor you go all the way back to firelink or your kindled bf. Also, replenishing flasks means you have to go ALL the way back then fight your way back to where you were.
    No twink weapons? So we can use anything made with demon or dragon?
    If you die alot you better pray you can afford to buy lots of weapons.
    Sorry bud, just seems a little much unless you are real good.
    I like wut drdrack said tho, death, delete, start over
    And mage LOLOL
    Hart trapped by skellies bwahaha
    Well obviously it's supposed to be hard, that's the idea of a challenge. And you can rest at any bonfire, although it would be more interesting if you could only light 3...

You can only KINDLE one bonfire. And it would make more sense to kindle a regular bonfire rather than a firekeeper bonfire. Dragon weapons would be good, but not a good trade off. Same with demon weapons. And I think there should be a limit on buying weapons, or using a different weapon when you die. Maybe you just can't use that specific weapon if you die. I'm not sure, the feedback is appreciated though.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm

That's not a glitch, it's totally scripted. Has it's own animations and everything. He jumps the gap, falls and grabs the ledge to steady himself and you attack his hand so he falls. Like someone hanging from something and getting their fingers stepped on in a movie. I didn't even know you could fight him fight him until someone summoned me for it and we did it together.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:That's not a glitch, it's totally scripted. Has it's own animations and everything. He jumps the gap, falls and grabs the ledge to steady himself and you attack his hand so he falls. Like someone hanging from something and getting their fingers stepped on in a movie. I didn't even know you could fight him fight him until someone summoned me for it and we did it together.
    It was probably intended to be a secret way to kill him, much like a few of the bosses can be cheesed with other strategies.

The thing is, when someone added a video on it it began getting exploited to death, which is probably why FROM patched it to make it harder to do.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:22 pm

I honestly feel like it was the intended way to beat him. It came pretty naturally to me my first playthrough, and I missed all kinds of things. I came in, grabbed the armor, got killed very quickly, came back, got my souls, grabbed the armor, and died very quickly, etc, until about the 4th try when I decided to just try to grab it and run. That's really all you need to do to make it happen, and as hard as he is on your first run through the game people deciding to try to just make it a break for it after a few tries isn't such a stretch.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Sorry panda mis read wut you meant about the bonfires. Limiting purchased weapons would be good because it forces you to farm.
    You didn't comment on my ng+ comment. Would like to know your thoughts on that. Maybe kindling AL or princess bf as well as an alternate just because AL with 5 flasks could be difficult if u run out of hum. Or is AL 10 flasks? Forget cause I always have about 18 at that time.
    If you die, you lose your equipment. Sounds good but if you only have 2 or 3 long swords, it would hurt if you weren't allowed to use long swords again. So don't ban them on death. Maybe banning it just for that area until you beat it making people carry different ones.
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 pm

I see a sad panda in the future
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Yeah, but again, it's a challenge run. They're supposed to be unforgiving, and it's the sense of accomplishment of beating that challenge that makes it so great. In NG+, you pick up your starter equipment again, minus the armor. So that isn't really much of a problem. There would probably have to be limits on farming too, for humanity at least. Restricted healing runs are usually the most hard and most accomplishing to beat.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 am

Every bonfire tended by a Firekeeper gives you 10 estus flasks. The O&S fight would be fine if you had to run back to the first bonfire to replenish your flasks. In fact, that bonfire would be easier to base from if you could not summon help for the boss fight.

Dropping armor after a death is a little extreme, but I've done a naked run before.

I think I'll do this challenge next. A lot of thought would have to be given to which stats to increase and which weapons would be available to use and lose.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am

What this challenge lacks is the Forced use of random crap you find on the ground. In Nuzlocke one of the biggest deals is which of the random pokemon you get on each Route, sometimes you get lucky and grab a Scrafty (who will become a gym eating machine) or sometimes you get a Bidoof and cry.

Perhaps a rule requiring the player to use a weapon/thing found in the area when fighting the boss. For example when fighting Kellogs I will use the Eagle Shield as it is found in Blight town. And for the 4 kings I will be holding an Estoc. I got lucky on the way to Gargoyles and I got to use a BSS against them. ect.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Jansports wrote:What this challenge lacks is the Forced use of random crap you find on the ground. In Nuzlocke one of the biggest deals is which of the random pokemon you get on each Route, sometimes you get lucky and grab a Scrafty (who will become a gym eating machine) or sometimes you get a Bidoof and cry.

Perhaps a rule requiring the player to use a weapon/thing found in the area when fighting the boss. For example when fighting Kellogs I will use the Eagle Shield as it is found in Blight town. And for the 4 kings I will be holding an Estoc. I got lucky on the way to Gargoyles and I got to use a BSS against them. ect.
    Sounds good, but then it will turn it into farming essentially. And since you get no weapons in the Demon Ruins (not sure), it would make some areas impossible.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Whats the point in dropping your equipment whenever you die? You're forcing people to farm the equipment again for no reason. Also, if you kindle 1 bonfire, you can always run back to it for a refill once the shortcuts are unlocked (inconvenient, but makes it less of a no-healing run).

A better idea for a limited healing run IMO would be no healing except with miracles or something. No emergency healing then.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Or you could just skip the Estus Flask...
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Shakie666 wrote:Whats the point in dropping your equipment whenever you die? You're forcing people to farm the equipment again for no reason. Also, if you kindle 1 bonfire, you can always run back to it for a refill once the shortcuts are unlocked (inconvenient, but makes it less of a no-healing run).

A better idea for a limited healing run IMO would be no healing except with miracles or something. No emergency healing then.
    You would get it if you've done a Nuzlocke:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge
    Raijinilli
    Raijinilli

Post by Raijinilli Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:46 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:That's not a glitch, it's totally scripted. Has it's own animations and everything. He jumps the gap, falls and grabs the ledge to steady himself and you attack his hand so he falls. Like someone hanging from something and getting their fingers stepped on in a movie. I didn't even know you could fight him fight him until someone summoned me for it and we did it together.

And he says just before he falls, "Fly you fools!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 pm