Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

challenge yourself

Jodecho
    Jodecho
    Addicted
    Addicted

challenge yourself Empty challenge yourself

Post by Jodecho Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 am

so how many people here actually do challenge runs? ive completed the game with many builds and do my fair shair of pvp, but i have to admit im getting a little bored whith what has become the day to day in DkS. the SL1 run wasnt nearly challenging enough, and using the calamity ring on NG+ was dissapointing as well. i think im gonna do a no shield only bow run. ive never relied on only the bow before so its gonna be interresting. ill probably stay somewhere in the SL10 range, but just so i can do some coop when i get bored or i would just say base lvl. im gonna use a estoc (never used a fencing weapon before) for farming souls to buy arrows but thats it.

so anyways does anyone have any good armor ideas? i was just gonna do it naked but i get tired looking at the burn victim for so long.

also, what is the hardest challeng run you have done? did you complete it, and what was the pivital moment where you knew from that point on that you were just finnishing it just to finnish it? with me thats usually four kings. once they are done with the rest of the game is just meh. i am forseeing some trouble with the capra demon with the bow only run though.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

challenge yourself Empty Re: challenge yourself

Post by Sentiel Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 am

I've done a bow only run, on a higher SL though. It was NG+ on SL 127.
    If the situation demanded I had Chaos Blade always ready, but I didn't have to use it more than ten times.

Rapier and fencing weapons in general found a way into my heart, so I did a Rapier only run to reach SL 99, but I used bow on enemies that are immune to criticals.

Bow is suprisingly good and viable weapon, even if it's damage is low.
    Some bosses, like Quelaag can be stunlocked to death with it and it usually requires little effort to execute as well.

Spells only run with my SL 117 was very entertaining as well. The idea was to kill only with spells and also to not skip. Clear the locations and defeat as many enemies as possible in one go, with using bonfire to replenish spells only before a bossfight, or PvP. Only Sorceries and Pyromancies (mainly for Crystal Golems and PvP), no melee weapons were allowed, except for catalyst R2. big grin

Another fine run was with base gear. The stuff you start with at the Asylum. It was possible to upgrade it (of course) in whatever ways you want, but it was prohibited to remove it, or to equip anything else.
    Leveling up is optional, both ways are fun.
    This was before DLC. Now, with DB, Sorcerer could destory everything, even with base catalyst. Well Pyromancer could always burn everything in his path as well. I did this with Knight and had a blast.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 am

the most fun run ive done is a fat roll playthrough while beign alive the whole playthrough, a lot of deaths to lagstabbers lol.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 am

RantFromRant wrote:the most fun run ive done is a fat roll playthrough while beign alive the whole playthrough, a lot of deaths to lagstabbers lol.
    The very definition of masochism. lol!
    Jodecho
    Jodecho
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jodecho Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 am

the very first time i played the game was a fatroll character, i thought that was how the game was meant to be played. it works for some people but the most i can stand is a medium roll. of all 12 of my characters only 2 of them are med roll, 1 is the fat roll (cant delete him for nostalgias sake). other than my first 2 characters, and 3 of my pvp characters, all my challenge runs and "whatever" playthroughs have stayed below SL 60, and most of them are below SL 20. ive been thinking about doing a sorc/pyro/faith low SL run w/ dusk crown ring equipped (for the 1/2 hp) but i already stared the bow only run and i dont wanna do two at the same time. ive also though about a channel but i dont have the first idea how to get started, and there are alot better players out there than me that have very good channels (EpicNameBro and Vegeta311 just to name two (also check them out if you havent already)).
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am

Not sure who, but someone posted a crazy video of a challenge they did here. Not sure if it was a whole challenge run, the video was just Quelaag boss fight.

Naked, Toxic'd self with Pies and I -think- SL 1, not sure if it was 1 or low level. Someone should set up an entire run of challenges like that, with specific conditions for each boss fight.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 am

Jodecho wrote:the very first time i played the game was a fatroll character, i thought that was how the game was meant to be played. it works for some people but the most i can stand is a medium roll. of all 12 of my characters only 2 of them are med roll, 1 is the fat roll (cant delete him for nostalgias sake). other than my first 2 characters, and 3 of my pvp characters, all my challenge runs and "whatever" playthroughs have stayed below SL 60, and most of them are below SL 20. ive been thinking about doing a sorc/pyro/faith low SL run w/ dusk crown ring equipped (for the 1/2 hp) but i already stared the bow only run and i dont wanna do two at the same time. ive also though about a channel but i dont have the first idea how to get started, and there are alot better players out there than me that have very good channels (EpicNameBro and Vegeta311 just to name two (also check them out if you havent already)).

the sorcerer/pyro low sl runs are the easiest since theyre kinda op, you just have to be good at doging and keeping your distance. i would do a starting gear low sl run, no elementals just base gear upgraded to +15 and base sl. i did one with the bandit and i loved it.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 pm

I never do challenge runs, just really really fun(bad) builds.

Left Handed swordsman.

Bowman.

Shield only.

etc.
    Jodecho
    Jodecho
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jodecho Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 pm

@ Zephryl -> thats a good idea, ill have to come up with some conditions. i know one i usually do is no lockon. i dont know how common that is but it makes you have to know your rolls and enemy movements better since you no long circle them.

@ Rant -> yea sorceries and what have you are way OP but its still something thats on my list of things i havent done yet so the idea is up in the air weather i actually do it or not, i just like the idea in being limited on attacking enemies, its add a little extra tension and more carefully planning, knowing what to kill and what to dodge past/run from (i hate saying run from, but so much of this game is meaningless once you know patterns and dont need souls and loot)
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:04 pm

I imagine the run would have generic rules, such as naked, or with a SL cap, and then you'd add/remove restrictions for each boss. E.g Kill the Gargoyles with Fist weapons, kill Artorias with a Bow + Fat Roll (From weapons rather than armor).

Would just need to decide what would make each boss the most challenging, and hopefully fun.
    Jodecho
    Jodecho
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jodecho Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Zephryl wrote:I imagine the run would have generic rules, such as naked, or with a SL cap, and then you'd add/remove restrictions for each boss. E.g Kill the Gargoyles with Fist weapons, kill Artorias with a Bow + Fat Roll (From weapons rather than armor).

Would just need to decide what would make each boss the most challenging, and hopefully fun.

i could not immagine fighting Artorias with a fatroll. i almost shudder at the though

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 am