Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Mr. Tart
JohnnyHarpoon
BrandBrandBrand
TheDarkPygmy
Wilkinson3424
KrazykevS10
Animaaal
Reaperfan
Tolvo
SirArchmage
Serious_Much
Halicarnassis
aceluby
nsane32
Latitoast
ResIsBestStat
AnCapaillMor
densetsushun
skarekrow13
Encore
User1
RANT
PlasticandRage
27 posters

Video Game Trivia

BrandBrandBrand
    Casual
    Casual

Video Game Trivia - Page 16 Empty Re: Video Game Trivia

Post by BrandBrandBrand Wed May 22, 2013 2:25 pm

That's it. It was a hamster. I just looked into this a bit, and interestingly, it might just be a rumor that this was ever censored out. It looks like every copy of the game released in the states had the option. But maybe a later european release censored it. This is what you'll find on wikipedia. In any case, I could not find a single person online saying "I played a version in which you could not microwave the hamster."
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 22, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm not positive on this, but I actually don't think the NES version has the option. I have both, which means I obviously don't play the NES version much because the PC one has such better graphics, but I feel like I remember trying it the last time I played and not being able to. It actually serves you better to not do it anyway because there are other things that are beneficial to microwave but if you blow the hamster up in it it becomes unusable because it's all covered in guts and when you try your characters are like "I'm not going near that."

That probably would have been a difficult question if there wasn't such a fan of the series here. They're both awesome games. I've actually enjoyed the majority of SCUMM games that I've played.

Here's my question:

I'm assuming most of you would know what this game is due to its recent remakes and offshoots, but my question is who is the character you're tasked to rescue in this game, and what's the name of the game he originally comes from?

Video Game Trivia - Page 16 8A80Y9kRDb1f4jqnhUAOun4AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
    BrandBrandBrand
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BrandBrandBrand Wed May 22, 2013 3:32 pm

I think only the "bad boy" characters could do it, but I'm not sure, I haven't played it in ages. Here's an interesting quick read by one of the guys who worked on porting it to the NES:

http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/maniac.html

Apparently Nintendo didn't like the sound of "NES Scumm", so it was struck from the credits. Look Skyward

I think I'm going to hunt for a way to play the original PC version (I'm on a mac); it would be fun to play this again and to see all the original references and jokes.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

BrandBrandBrand wrote:I think only the "bad boy" characters could do it, but I'm not sure, I haven't played it in ages. Here's an interesting quick read by one of the guys who worked on porting it to the NES:

http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/maniac.html

Apparently Nintendo didn't like the sound of "NES Scumm", so it was struck from the credits. Video Game Trivia - Page 16 2707236321

I think I'm going to hunt for a way to play the original PC version (I'm on a mac); it would be fun to play this again and to see all the original references and jokes.

sending you a PM
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Bionic Commando is the game...not sure about his "Princess Peach" if you will.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 22, 2013 5:39 pm

He'd fill Princess Peach full of lead with his signature weapon.

Do you make those pictures of animal or find them? That would be really fun to do. So many funny possibilities
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Lol, I wish he would, Mario Kart Wii is makin me hate Peach, little angry

I've edited a couple, but haven't really made anything. I am gonna change my sig to, "meth bad" or something.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 22, 2013 9:03 pm

If I made a couple would you consider them? I have some time on my hands being all sick, and I think it'd be fun. I always think about it when I see your avatars.

Here's a hint: his weapon is a rapid fire machine gun, and it's a big deal in Bionic Commando.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Another one I don't know
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 pm

If nobody gets it in the next few guesses I'll give a hint that'll probably give it away. If it doesn't most likely nobody will get it and I'll just give it up.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 22, 2013 10:57 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:...If I made a couple would you consider them? I have some time on my hands being all sick, and I think it'd be fun. I always think about it when I see your avatars...

Oh totally dude. I'm not attached to anything I've used at all. I just like changing em up for fun.

If you made one dude, I'd sport it like a flag...

...a &%$#ing bada$$ flag of TRIMUPHANT TRIMUPHERY!!!! Joy

In other words, I'd be honored.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 pm

gatling gun? I got nothing lol
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Well his weapon is called machine gun. His name is part of the weapon's name, like it's called "such and such's machine gun." I'll accept either his name or the name of the game he's from though. Bionic Commando is sort of its spiritual sequel. Kind of like how Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are related except in the opposite way. The gameplay is totally different between the two, but the same characters are there, and the stories are vaguely related.
    BrandBrandBrand
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BrandBrandBrand Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 am

I've got nothing here either. Well, nearly nothing. The name "Joe" keeps popping into my head. I think the guy from Bionic Commando is named Joe. But then my mind just goes to "Bazooka Joe", partially because he's got a bazooka, but I've got to be confusing this with the bubble gum. The other thing that keeps popping into my head is "Super Gun Bros". But I think I'm making that up. Memories of my childhood are like a foggy dream. Anyway, maybe some of this will jog somebody else's memory.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Your really close. His entire name is in your post. He didn't have a bazooka though. He has a machine gun. Spencer, the main character, is the one who gets a bazooka.

I'll accept either his name or the game he's originally from, which can be considered the first game in the series.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 pm

I know the answer(s), only because I cheated though.

I could see you figuring it out, Brand.

Plastic, are these games sweet? I just got done Contra and original Zelda and am looking for more older games to play.
    BrandBrandBrand
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BrandBrandBrand Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 pm

I don't think I'm going to get it. I've been thinking about it off and on all day (when I haven't been playing Maniac Mansion - thanks Plastic!), and nothing more concrete is coming to me. Ok, my guess for the person being saved is "Machine Gun Mike." Again, I think this is just free association kicking in. As for the game, I'm stuck on Super Gun Bros! Does such a game even exist?! (I do hope that's a real game: what a ridiculous name.) Bah, no access to google is driving me crazy!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 pm

You're not there yet brand. I can just give it up if you guys want. Seems like everyone's gravitating away because nobodies getting it. I can't help it. I love retro gaming, and the majority of my video game knowledge is from that era.

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:
    Plastic, are these games sweet? I just got done Contra and original Zelda and am looking for more older games to play.

Bionic Commando was my favorite NES game when I was a kid. Like most NES games it's a challenge, but I think the challenge it presents is really unique. It's a vertically inclined platformer with no jump button. Instead you have a bionic arm and grapple from place to place. It's all about timing your swings and knowing what to grab. It's really rewarding once you get good at it too. The kind of game you can really skill it up in and show off. There's an interesting story too. Very WWIIish. Even has a Hitler lookalike as the main baddy. If you try it and like it and you have a ps3 (not sure if it's on xbox live or not) you could try Bionic Commando Rearmed too. Rearmed 2 is horrible, but the first one is awesome. Really does justice to the original and will test your mettle as a gamer.

Also if you don't have experience with it already you should definitely try Zelda 2. Adventures of Link gets a bad rap because it's really different from all the others, but I honestly think they pulled it off. I actually recently did a playthrough for the first time in years, and it's still a blast.

If you're looking for something that'll keep you engaged for awhile Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest is another great one that people immediately dislike because it's different. It's one of my favorite games in the series. Just finished a revisit to that game last week. Such wonderful retro nostalgia.

I could recommend NES games all day long. If you're looking for good platformers Shatterhand and Megaman 1-6 are all spectacularly enjoyable games too. These are all pretty approachable games too. You won't pull your hair out playing them like you would if you were playing Ninja Gaiden or something of that caliber.
    BrandBrandBrand
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BrandBrandBrand Fri May 24, 2013 11:49 am

I'm not going to get this. I'll be looking skyward after I hear the answer, I'm sure, but it's not coming to me now.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am

Same here
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 am

His name's Super Joe, and he's the main character in this game: Video Game Trivia - Page 16 2Q==

called Commando.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 am

Oh Jebus. Lol. That game rocked
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 am

Sure did. That and Gun.Smoke. Top down shooters were a staple of early NES.

I have to give it to Brand. He was so close that I probably could have on his last guess anyway.
    BrandBrandBrand
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BrandBrandBrand Fri May 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Haha! Man, I had all the elements there, just all confused. That's funny. And Gun Smoke. What an amazing game. I played that game over and over.

Ok, this one should span gaming generations. These two extremely minor characters have cameos in a number of the Final Fantasy games (both the main series and off-shoots). They always appear as a pair (or nearly always). First, the easy question: what are their names? Second, the difficult question: in one installment of the series, they appear with their names as anagrams (or nearly anagrams) of their usual names. Which installment is this and what are their names in this installment?

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri May 24, 2013 12:54 pm

gaaaahhhh I hate you, I don't remember the names but the game is ff8(maybe)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:18 am