Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Serious_Much
RANT
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
barecanvas
Artorias
Pargar-theGreat
10 posters

The future of dark souls

Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The future of dark souls Empty The future of dark souls

Post by Pargar-theGreat Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:47 pm

do you think a future version of this franchise will include full worlds with villages and such. or even maybe have 5 on 5 battle arenas a more mmo, but absolutely not mmo lol style setting?
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The future of dark souls Empty Re: The future of dark souls

Post by Artorias Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 pm

i doubt it the soul series are single player games with a small mp aspect and they are not based on mp
    barecanvas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by barecanvas Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:14 am

Everything dark souls doues is all based on the lore of the story, even the multiplayer aspect of it. For your idea to work, theyd have to tie all that in the
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:40 am

arena's could be run by old monk like proprietors who summon the combatants to battle, would be in a secret area in the blight town esq area (there will be one mark my words) and in the lore the losers body is consumed by the spectators (who says we disipate to dust in the next one! we might have to collect our old corpses not blood stains!) thus you cannot reclaim your held souls, said held souls acting as a bet when you enter the arena. first time there you could be dragged into a fight (boss fight, old monk style, upon victory your freed, or have to fight your way out. after a certain point in the game you could come back and find a new owner who allows the tournaments discuseed earlier.)
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 am

i hope not.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:04 am

Pargar-theGreat wrote:do you think a future version of this franchise will include full worlds with villages and such. or even maybe have 5 on 5 battle arenas a more mmo, but absolutely not mmo lol style setting?

....When did the souls games suddenly become world of warcraft?

They are absolutely not gonna go in that direction i think, goes against core principles in the games.
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:26 am

....@ serious; i guess my "absolutely not mmo style" didn't quite register with you if you have to ask that ?. in no way did i mean an mmo world "all single player settings here guys calm down... lol. My approach is more like a zeldas world, traverse dungeons find village, traverse dungeon with aspects of mutilplayer find village.... etc etc etc... use your imaginiations
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 am

and sparkly i dig your approach!!
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:20 pm

I don't think they'll go in that direction. If they wanted to they could have done it this go around because of the PvP in Demon's Souls... yet they didn't. Why? Because MP play is not the core of this game. A hard, but fair single player experience is the heart of this game and the reason why they produced it. The secondary feature is an extremely unique MP where co-op and PvP is completely random, but is still based on the single player experience. I would be extremely surprised if they went to a more MP centric route.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:23 pm

pargar having the mmo elements would still change the online to a more multiplayer orientated game, which is not what this game is about. It's about the single player with integrated multiplayer. having it seperate would completely change that.

in terms of the whole village thing, I think that again they wouldnt do in a wide scale. The whole point of dark souls is the feeling of being alone, but even demons had a sort of communal area in the nexus (but even that was just full of dead people).

I could see perhaps having a townish setting like firelink shrine but developed, where NPCs gather and would grow as the game went on, but again having something like that would likely detract from the atmosphere the souls games try to create, and would probably be avoided by FROM
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 pm

I hope not, this game to me is perfect as is in essence, only things that could be changed are more options for the pvp, I mean easier ways to fight specific friends and play with specific friends, that's it.

This game is about challenge, survival and pvp, we don't need things that would overcomplicate it and might take away power from the essentials.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 pm

I think one of the original posters desires is closer than he thinks but From changed it to make the game special. Regarding "full worlds and villages..."

This is pretty much the whole game. Lordran is pretty extensive in square footage actually and almost every place you go is a "village" or location very much like a classic RPG or mmoRPG. Undead Burg, the Parish and Depths all are like a village ecosystem surrounded by the "wild" areas/dungeons (forest, catacombs is a tangent to the graveyard from the "village"). Both Anor and New Londo are cities as well. I'm guessing the poster meant more "typical" villages and areas with merchants and normal members of society.

In my opinion though, the beauty of this game is their take on these locations. In the "real" world, important people/places/things are in populated areas, not a random dungeon in the middle of nowhere. As in life, Dark Souls is focused on the remnants of civilization. In Dark Souls we are smack in the middle of the pinnacle of Lordran society. When we arrive however, existence itself seems to be on it's last breath. Where once we may have found a cheerful apple merchant with his cart crammed among the bustling tenaments, we are greeted with demon hounds. The last gasp of this place hollowed beings grasping at torches like their long lost spark of life. The only beings with a spark of intelligence seek to slice our throats. And that's just Lower Undead Burg. Having a typical RPG anything would dramatically reduce this atmosphere. Even the last dwindling ties to civilization are scattered and represent more than the society we are presently in. The handful of the living come from lands we'll never get to know. Adding to this is the transient nature of many of the survivors. We are mostly alone, and when we are not, we likely will be again soon. Having even one area reminiscent of a classic village would be a nice heroic symbol of humanity's last bastion of light but cheapens the premise that we are alone in our world.

I actually am a little frustrated with From for making FOUR freakin' blacksmiths. We fight tooth and nail to find somewhat living and sane beings and somehow blacksmiths are all the rage amongst survivors!
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm

I think that From will be keen to keep the aspects which make the 'Souls' series so unique, so I doubt they will go in this direction.

Having villages etc would make it a much 'nicer' place to be next time around, which is not ideal. It would be much like a 'Zelda' world in fact as you mention above. I think the real skill From have developed is creating worlds which tell a story without the need for lots of characters spewing dialogue. You can tell a lot from just looking at the crumbling ruins of a once great city or a pile of bodies or giant bookshelves etc etc. Like a good book, your imagination fills in the gaps. To me, DkS has a 'full world', it's just a very different and far harsher one than most. I'd like to see this continue in the next game.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

i still want the old monk boss fight back in some form in the next one, that was really cool. as for towns... idk... if you did have a full town it would have to be attacked constantly to fit with the way lore seems to fit in souls games, maybe for the first few areas its intact then it gets decimated with a few survivors and a couple of the merchants escaping to other areas. combat would be possible here possibly even invasion that would make the townish area sufficiently brutal and lonely.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:15 pm

like in dark souls the firelink shrine bonfire goes out, would be like that but more extreme with many npc's dieing irretrievably.
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:37 pm

good constructive feed back thanks all! i see your all points and well written skarekrow.

@sparkley i'm with you i loved that boss." from" has redefined multiplayer imo, i would love to see a game where that was their first priority. its like they know people love the multiplayer but they do everything they can to make it feel lonesome. and i get that i do. but just for "me" id like to see them push the envelope in with these ideas.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

So maybe a From/Bethesda joint titled Elder Souls with the tagline being "Prepare to die....all over the dang place"

Just kidding...I see where you're going. I personally love Dark Souls and wouldn't want it changed a bit but also have room in my heart (and PS3) for Skyrim and other RPGs. I wouldn't mind seeing a darker Skyrim or a bigger Dark Souls assuming the integrity of concept stayed true.

Last edited by skarekrow13 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't want it to sound like I was teasing)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 pm