Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
The Letter X
EeAyEss
Seignar
User1
densetsushun
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
WandererReece
11 posters

Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident

WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident Empty Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident

Post by WandererReece Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:28 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

I found this when I was researching some stuff. It happened about 5 years ago. It's a very interesting artical. The funny thing is it started because of a glitch.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident Empty Re: Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:50 pm

"Yale University
    terrorism expert Stuart Gottlieb admitted that while the outbreak was
    interesting and relevant to the times, he would not base a
    counter-terrorism strategy on a video game"

Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident 2707236321
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident Empty Re: Virtual Plague in WoW AKA Corrupted Blood Incident

Post by densetsushun Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm

That sounds like quite the amazing glitch. I love how epidemiologists researched it and drew parallels to the real world.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:12 pm

You may not believe me, but I hope you do. I was there to witness that that massacre, and a level 9 came up to me, saying 'Stay away from there! A disease is over there, it's killing everyone!' Me, being level 49, considered myself able to fight against it. I saw dead corpses everywhere, and NPC's still alive. I wondered, 'What has gone on here?' I decided to leave, having satisfied my curiosity, only to find a level 12 run up to me. He said 'Do you have the disease?' I said 'No, everyone's dead. There's an NPC over there. I think he's immune.' That player proceeded to run off to the nearest town, where I was headed. We found more corpses of more dead players. A level 53 started to follow me, asking if we should kill lower levels we see, so we don't get the disease. I was a dwarf hunter, and he was a Night Elf healer. Naturally, I chose to.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:16 pm

That's really cool, Renegade!
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:19 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:That's really cool, Renegade!
    The story, or me actually being there to witness the plague? Either one, I thank you. It was utterly catastrophic. I felt like a bit of a **** when I did what I did at the end of the story, but it was to protect myself. It was a fight for survival, a very tense experience, and actually pretty fun to be there. I didn't end up catching the disease, but the Healer I was with did eventually, when we went our separate ways. The Zombie Apocalypse was organised by Blizzard, but it caused some distress to newer players, who didn't know it was purposefully placed in the game. I ended up having around 6 low level players following me through the woods, for protection, It felt like DayZ, in older times.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 pm

I read a commit somewhere that said the Corrupted Blood Incident was last best thing to happen in the game.

Last edited by WandererReece on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Well, in a way, it was. It encouraged the WoW community to work together. Well, in a way. The lower levels were slaughtered by higher levels in any available area. It also had a aura of mystery, and it felt really tense. Also, the Zombie Apocalypse event was underwhelming. So, in a sense, the Corrupted Blood 'event' was actually the last best thing.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:43 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:You may not believe me, but I hope you do. I was there to witness that that massacre, and a level 9 came up to me, saying 'Stay away from there! A disease is over there, it's killing everyone!' Me, being level 49, considered myself able to fight against it. I saw dead corpses everywhere, and NPC's still alive. I wondered, 'What has gone on here?' I decided to leave, having satisfied my curiosity, only to find a level 12 run up to me. He said 'Do you have the disease?' I said 'No, everyone's dead. There's an NPC over there. I think he's immune.' That player proceeded to run off to the nearest town, where I was headed. We found more corpses of more dead players. A level 53 started to follow me, asking if we should kill lower levels we see, so we don't get the disease. I was a dwarf hunter, and he was a Night Elf healer. Naturally, I chose to.

Must have been incredible. Did it feel like you were in a different game? The fact you went out to kill others to save your hide while others hid and some helped kind of shows how practical of a simulation this could have been, to a certain extent. I wonder what would have happened if this game combined the Dark Souls mechanic, except with the fact people could pillage you.

It quite literally sounds like the most awesome thing (granted, annoying) that has ever happened. How long did it last, if it was suppose to be a short term ailment? I'm thinking that major cities were all but destroyed?

Do you still hold a memorial for the deaths?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Seignar wrote:
    RenegadeCop wrote:You may not believe me, but I hope you do. I was there to witness that that massacre, and a level 9 came up to me, saying 'Stay away from there! A disease is over there, it's killing everyone!' Me, being level 49, considered myself able to fight against it. I saw dead corpses everywhere, and NPC's still alive. I wondered, 'What has gone on here?' I decided to leave, having satisfied my curiosity, only to find a level 12 run up to me. He said 'Do you have the disease?' I said 'No, everyone's dead. There's an NPC over there. I think he's immune.' That player proceeded to run off to the nearest town, where I was headed. We found more corpses of more dead players. A level 53 started to follow me, asking if we should kill lower levels we see, so we don't get the disease. I was a dwarf hunter, and he was a Night Elf healer. Naturally, I chose to.

Must have been incredible. Did it feel like you were in a different game? The fact you went out to kill others to save your hide while others hid and some helped kind of shows how practical of a simulation this could have been, to a certain extent. I wonder what would have happened if this game combined the Dark Souls mechanic, except with the fact people could pillage you.

It quite literally sounds like the most awesome thing (granted, annoying) that has ever happened. How long did it last, if it was suppose to be a short term ailment? I'm thinking that major cities were all but destroyed?

Do you still hold a memorial for the deaths?
    Let's answer these questions one by one:

It did feel like I was in a different game, yes. Similar to what I said earlier, it felt kind of like DayZ in Warcraft. There was a feeling of adrenaline of killing others to save my skin, yes. I felt so on edge, I just could'nt leave my chair at the time. I also nearly never witnessed teamplay in Warcraft, and this really brought people together, if not in the right way, in my case.

It was a hell of an awesome day. I was kind of overpowered too. I nearly died twice when we were going through dungeons looking for loot of victims who died hiding away from the rest of civilisation. (Which felt really scary too.)

It lasted a few hours, for everything to die down after all the first deaths, and after customer reports of people complainng of how suddenly and randomly they died, Blizzard were on the case, but not very fast.

Yes, I feel sorry for all that I killed. All the people who lost their stuff, just so I could run from what seemed like an inevitable death at the time. I feel especially sorry for the Night Elf, who died not too long after we went separate ways.[list][*]

EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 pm

What happens when you die in WoW?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Well, it's dependant on the area you are in. In the Wilderness, you will lose all of your things if you die, either to a player or a creature of the wild. In organised PvP fights, there are choices weather it's a stakes fight or not.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:13 pm

That sounds so terribly fun. I honestly wish I could have experienced that myself, Renegade.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Believe me, it was so fun, so adrenalin fueled, it actually felt like the best time I have ever had online. If you don't want to pay $15 a month (Isn't that the price in the US?) to play Warcraft, there is a way around it. Keep making emails and using the 30 day trials.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Doesn't the trial have a level cap?
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 pm

WTH, if you die in WoW you never lose your stuff, you just die, appear at the closest graveyard in spirit form, and you have to run up to your corpse to be able to revive, or talk to the angel in the graveyard and revive but weakened for (I think) 10 mins.

And you managed to kill lower level players if they were in the same faction as you? I mean you can kill low level enemy players, but if a low level player from your faction with the disease would run to you, you could only run away.
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Well, it's dependant on the area you are in. In the Wilderness, you will lose all of your things if you die, either to a player or a creature of the wild. In organised PvP fights, there are choices weather it's a stakes fight or not.

I think you're mistaking WoW with Runescape buddy silly

Either that or i got trolled.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Trolling.
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Trolling.

More than likely winking
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:15 am

Old Warcraft was different to what it is now by a long shot, but yeah, I'm sure I got lost somewhere inbetween. It was years ago.
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Old Warcraft was different to what it is now by a long shot, but yeah, I'm sure I got lost somewhere inbetween. It was years ago.

I was there in Vanilla WoW , and so was my roomate and we're both 110% you didn't lose stuff when you died happy
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Person accidently posts one small piece of inacurate info. Now the entire forum hates him.

BAZINGA!:

Seriously, why do you have to be so hateful to him?
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Sorry for the derail but, since we accidentally got on the topic of Runescape, anyone else here remember the Falador massacre? For those who don't know, the majority of areas in Runescape have pvp turned off (they've flip flopped on this one a few times so do note this wasn't always the case throughout the games history) and players cannot fight each other. However, someone found a glitch where he could attack people in any area in the game. Not only that, but they couldn't fight back due to the game thinking they were trying to kill another player who wasn't killing them. Needless to say, the guy who did it slaughtered the bejeezus out of everyone in the city of Falador for at least a good 3 hours before he finally got stopped via the mighty, yet slow to act banhammer.

In those days, when you died, you'd lose all but 3 of your items you had on you. The 3 items were chosen based on the games chosen value for the item (so a powerful sword would be kept in place of an ore or a healing item) I recall the guy's name was Duriel. Which just made me laugh because, he used frost magic to slow people down and then slaughter them before they could even do anything about it. After the dust settled, and the rivers of blood had been washed away, they had to roll back the servers for around 3 hrs to prevent the loss of anyone's stuff.

I personally didn't take part in either the slaughtering or the getting slaughtered. One of my friends told me to be there at like 7:00pm but didn't tell me why. Imagine my surprise when I read the news page and found out I missed out on possibly the most hilarious thing ever. sad
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:19 pm

I wasn't there for the Massacre, but.. I have read about it. All it sounds like to me is a bad accident.
    KingSeekerCow
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Oh man. The memories of ZG. I think Blizzard used that as a format for the BC expansion raids because 20 mans were the hype during and after BC.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 am