Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Covenent Betrayal Penalties Removed?

WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Covenent Betrayal Penalties Removed? Empty Covenent Betrayal Penalties Removed?

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

I read leaving the Chaos Covenent without talking to Oswald will give you an egg head. I did this twice after 1.07 but never got an egg head.

I also read leaving the Way of White temporarily removed one of your estus flask. I had this happen once before the patch, but I did this a second time after the patch and didn't loose any estus.

Were these removed after the patch? All the patch info doesn't list any covenent betrayal changes.

The Way of White page no longer list any betrayal info, but the Chaos servent page still lists the egghead. However, the wikidot doesn't list egghead under betrayal penalties.
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Covenent Betrayal Penalties Removed? Empty Re: Covenent Betrayal Penalties Removed?

Post by VaDoom Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Never got an egg head by betraying chaos servants, even before 1.07. Maybe you're not 100% sure to get an egg head upon betrayal.

But I'm sure the rank penalty still exists.
    I can't answer about Way of White.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Covenent Betrayal Penalties Removed? Empty Re: Covenent Betrayal Penalties Removed?

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Way of White should be an easy one to test. Shouldn't you be able to start as a knight and go smack Petrus the second you get to Firelink? Or does slapping him around not count against the covenant?

(I know you could just talk to him and join as well but who wants to talk to that guy?)
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 pm

^ I didn't check rank penalty, but it's probably still there.

I honestly can't say I got an egg head before 1.07 either, but that's because I always talked to Oswald. Actually, the first time I "should have" got an egg head may have been in 1.06. However, I clearly remember avoiding what should have been a second egg head. It was a couple days ago.

I know for a fact a lost a flask once by leaving Way of White. Fairly recently I left the Way of White and didn't loose a flask.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Way of White should be an easy one to test. Shouldn't you be able to start as a knight and go smack Petrus the second you get to Firelink? Or does slapping him around not count against the covenant?

I tried that and it didn't work.

I got a test going. I took a character that used to be Chaos Servent +2 and joined the Way of White. Then I rejoined the Chaos Servent.

I did not lose an Estus Flask. I was Chaos Servent +1 after rejoining the Chaos Covenent. Then I rejoined Way of White. My character has been standing around for 10 minutes. He is not scratching his head. He doesn't have an egg head yet. Maybe I have to kill the Chaos Leader?
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:31 pm

This makes for a good related discussion to my topic about trying to figure out if sin is really involved with leaving covenants. (link)

I don't think the game ever had many betrayal penalties in place, at least since 1.05 and on.

Certain covenant restricted items become unusable (Red Eye Orb, Eye of Death, Soothing Sunlight miracle, etc), but leaving a covenant without angering anyone in the process doesn't even seem to be a source of sin. I don't think there are many other penalties than losing access to items in place.

I'd never heard of getting an egg-head by abandoning the Chaos Covenant. If you kill The Fair Lady, Eingyi will attack you, and he has the ability to larvae grab-attack (the same as all the other egg carriers), which causes the egg infection. Perhaps that happened to someone, and shortly after getting the egg-head, they thought it was because they abandoned covenant (when it technically wasn't).

I've left the Chaos Covenant many times, for the sake of opening the shortcut to lost Izalith, always abandoning without Oswald and sometimes killing the Fair Lady. It's never given me an egg head.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:31 pm

That could be it. I was under the impression (not sure why or where) that with some covenants just leaving is no biggie, it's the violent end of your separation that caused the penalty. I would be concerned even with that criteria with the Petrus test now that I think of it more. While he allows you to join, we all know by now he isn't a very devout member it seems so maybe the Gods know that smacking that fool up isn't a betrayal. Getting diarRhea there though is admittedly more work to test.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks Retro, that's good info. I saw the egg head thing posted in various places so I thought it was true.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:42 pm