Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
Animaaal
aprilmanha
ComaPrison
hageshisa
defacto
Sir-flicker
Shkar
Ashran
Onion Knight
FattyOfDoom
Marino.
Acarnatia
Serious_Much
Sloth9230
mr_no_face
DE5PA1R
crbngville2
aceluby
tinypantha
steveswede
24 posters

Bad feelings about online for Dark Souls 2

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Bad feelings about online for Dark Souls 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Bad feelings about online for Dark Souls 2

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Well only middle schools i've known go till you're like 14, though dunno if you mean that to be honest
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Bad feelings about online for Dark Souls 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Bad feelings about online for Dark Souls 2

Post by Marino. Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 pm

No its an actuall graduation here .
    I went to School for 11 Years until i was 18 . Its the second highest regular Graduation
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Marino. wrote:No its an actuall graduation here .
    I went to School for 11 Years until i was 18 . Its the second highest regular Graduation

Harry Potter style ehh?
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:
    Marino. wrote:No its an actuall graduation here .

Harry Potter style ehh?

Didnt he only go for six or seven Years ? lol!

Anyway this is my graduation . I averaged 2.4 and could have attended the Gymnasium (Highest) but sadly went out of time .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realschule
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

ah i see... wait where are you from then.. What ages is high school, like 19-20?

Wait so you're german (or one of the other ones listed on wiki silly )

School system is sure different over where you are huh.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

FattyOfDoom wrote:Ok, I'm confused. If it's region locked, I can't play with other countries?

What a load of crap, that's unfair sad

In Demons Souls every region had its own Server .
    It was divided between US, EU and Asian .

So someone on an EU server couldnt play with someone on US .
    But it prevented lag
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Serious_Much wrote:ah i see... wait where are you from then.. What ages is high school, like 19-20?

Wait so you're german (or one of the other ones listed on wiki silly )

School system is sure different over where you are huh.

I'm German and started School with 7 . Normally Kids would attend school when theyre 8 but i dont know why i started early tbh .

Perhaps i should write where i'm from since noone seems to get "onDe" 😢
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't think people bother too much, I mean I'm from Endiness apparently lol!

I started earlier than that.. I started at 4, but i did pre school too... Guess I didn't get to enjoy my childhood like you did :|
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Marino: I think lol

We Americans have a pretty weird middle school system I hear, at least compared to Mexico were my parents are from.

here it's k and then 1-5(at the same school, then 6-8, and last is 9-12 with college/university being optional.

In Mexico it 1-6, then 7-9, and last is 10-12. with universities and all that again. Not sure if they have kindergarten though.

Do you guys have kindergarten? Pre-school is optional here, it starts at 4.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm

i didnt count pre-school
    I'm not sure if i did pre-school anyway, cant remember probably not happy .

Well, but look you're a Student and i'm a Carny guess it does make a difference winking

Sloth: We have Kindergarten and Pre-School and both are optional .

School is divided like this here .
    1-5 6-9 10-12 and 12 to i dont know

Also you can skip a class if you're smart like i am was lol (i skipped the 3rd grade)

i think we got a li~tle bit Off-Topic here bounce

Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 pm

@FattyofDoom: That's exactly what that means. One of the factors that causes so much lag in Dark Souls is that because everyone is using the same server and the server can only process so much data. More players means more lag and less players means less lag. Online play in Demon's Souls has much less lag because the players play on region-specific servers. (though which server is determined by which regional copy of the game you or I are using, not on where you or I actually are) Because there are less players, there is less data to constantly process, so the game runs faster. This also means that there are less players on each server, and apparently the European servers have so few players that there isn't anyone else to play with.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Acarnatia wrote:@FattyofDoom: That's exactly what that means. One of the factors that causes so much lag in Dark Souls is that because everyone is using the same server and the server can only process so much data. More players means more lag and less players means less lag. Online play in Demon's Souls has much less lag because the players play on region-specific servers. (though which server is determined by which regional copy of the game you or I are using, not on where you or I actually are) Because there are less players, there is less data to constantly process, so the game runs faster. This also means that there are less players on each server, and apparently the European servers have so few players that there isn't anyone else to play with.

As a regular on the EU server back in the day, it was extremely busy around launch and just before Dark Souls launched, also there is less sort of agreed level cap for coop and such, so less same level people.

But yeah, Demon's is slowly dieing sadly on all servers in reality, it's just the smaller EU server highlights this sad fact.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 am

So I'm basically screwed if I want to play with others :/
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:17 am

What about a big, a huge, a biblical server to all the world? With the power of all regional servers, united as one!

pd: dont know if is possible. Maybe nope. :V
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:29 am

Ashran wrote:What about a big, a huge, a biblical server to all the world? With the power of all regional servers, united as one!

pd: dont know if is possible. Maybe nope. :V

As something that needs to explained to most people unaware of servers, their problems are often unable to be solved by simply throwing money at it. While it is indeed possible to add more RAM and even sync multiple processors together, there is still a limit to the abilities of the server. Not the least of the issues is that you still have to store and, more importantly, MAINTAIN said servers. This is kind of hard when the system releases enough waste heat to start melting itself or starts to short.

If you ever happen to glance at the World of Warcraft forums around weakly maintenance (where they take the servers down for an hour or two) there is often a few dozen threads complaining about how they should just buy better servers. As I just explained, that's not really an option when you have the best servers available. Sure, you could buy more, but that leads to whole new issues happy
    Sir-flicker
    Sir-flicker
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sir-flicker Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am

Just wondering which region is Australia bound to?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Sir-flicker wrote:Just wondering which region is Australia bound to?

It's bound to the asian server
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Said this a while ago. Default to your region's server but you can change it if you like. Happens all the time.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Acarnatia wrote:@FattyofDoom: That's exactly what that means. One of the factors that causes so much lag in Dark Souls is that because everyone is using the same server and the server can only process so much data. More players means more lag and less players means less lag. Online play in Demon's Souls has much less lag because the players play on region-specific servers. (though which server is determined by which regional copy of the game you or I are using, not on where you or I actually are) Because there are less players, there is less data to constantly process, so the game runs faster. This also means that there are less players on each server, and apparently the European servers have so few players that there isn't anyone else to play with.

You're mistaken about how this works.

In dark souls there are no servers. All of the processing is happening on the consoles themselves, which does take processing power, but does not contribute to lag in any significant manner. However, having a server be 'in charge' of the online element does make summoning and invading more consistent, so there is does contribute to the lag you see when you try to summon someone and the sign disappears very shortly, but it will have no affect on in game lag.

Secondly, the reason there seems to be less lag in Demon's Souls is because they force you to play w/ people in your region. If you are in the US and play the EU or Japanese version of the game there is PLENTY of lag.

There are only two things that affect lag, physical distance and bandwidth. Servers only limit physical distance by region locking, if you played the same person w/out a server it would have the same amount of lag.

We need to stop the expectation that servers are going to solve lag. It won't.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Playstations and Xbox still run off of basic computer functions like memory. If I or anyone else I know of runs too much on a single computer at once, it can't keep up with the amount of data and runs slower, overheats and sometimes just stops working. The same thing applies to MMO servers and online games; too many players signing in at once has caused game servers to simply crash for a time. The same thing is at least a part of lag in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Certainly other factors contribute; the amount of data being processed does affect computer speed.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Playstations and Xbox still run off of basic computer functions like memory. If I or anyone else I know of runs too much on a single computer at once, it can't keep up with the amount of data and runs slower, overheats and sometimes just stops working. The same thing applies to MMO servers and online games; too many players signing in at once has caused game servers to simply crash for a time. The same thing is at least a part of lag in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Certainly other factors contribute; the amount of data being processed does affect computer speed.

The main use of processor power is more to actually generate all the visual effects and keep it working well. Double the amount of textures generated and you greatly increase the lag. It's the same reason many games have issues when too many particles are being used.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Fallout: New Vegas had lag and it didn't even have online Look Skyward
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Hopefully there's an option to not use the servers, then if people despise lag they can screw themselves
    defacto
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:If you aren't willing to directly pay a company for their games, then don't play their games at all. It's pretty simple.

What are you talking about? They don't get squat from second hand sales. To them it's the same as Piracy. If I make 100 games, for 100 people, but only 50 buy and then share that with the other 50, then I just lost money on 50 games, that I could have sold otherwise.

Publishers/ developers, whoever it is that gets the money. It's better than it going to retailers.

What? This makes no sense.

You can't "share" PS3 and 360 games. You can sell them at which point they change owners. The previous owner doesn't get to keep it.

You know, you should start an online petition to get car companies money from all the used car sales.

It's just UNFAIR that used car lots sell used cars. I mean, they don't even make anything!!!! But they are still profiting!! What a bunch of LOSERS!

Every time a person sells a used car the company who made the car gets a 100 dollar fee. I mean, it's only fair, right?

Don't buy into the publishers brainwashing. It's not right to do it with any other used object. It's not right to do it with video games. The only reason they do it is because they can get away with it. I'm sure every company would love to get money every time a used item of theirs changed hands.

Whoever thought up the online pass probably got money signs in his eyes like in the cartoons when he thought of it.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:15 pm

If I sell a car, I still need to buy another car. Unless I no longer need a car; in which case, I no longer need any car companies service anyway. Once I play a game, I don't need to play it ever a again. Unless the game is really good; in which case, I probably wouldn't sell it.

The owner of the disc is irrelevant. Fact of the matter is, you still got to experience the contents of the disc. Thats what you're paying for, an experience. The disc itself is just a licence. Go to a theater and watch twilight. Once it's over, ask for your money back. That's what your doing when a you sell a game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:19 pm