Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
defacto
aceluby
befowler
Bioraptor
Tomhet
bla
GkMrBane
CaptanSpudsy
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Oran_G_Coon
RANT
Slarg232
Isirith
Soris Ice Goldwing
Everynevers
Djem
The Letter X
Automancer
deadagain
SillentShadow
MiketheMushroomMan
25 posters

Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?

Oran_G_Coon
    Oran_G_Coon
    Regular
    Regular

Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?

Post by Oran_G_Coon Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:01 pm

RantFromRant wrote:can you honoestly tell me that the first time you played it solo it was easier than demon's or dark souls?
    No way! Demon's Souls was definitely easier to get into - you could LOCK ON to enemies! And no matter how crappy your damage was, at least in Demon's Souls your weapon never bounced off every now and then (not counting attacking enemy shields . . . but who does that?)
    RantFromRant wrote:(tri is easy mode btw)
    So true, and not just because of the improved camera. After playing Unite I realized the big bad Alatreon was just a bigger clone of the weaker Elder Dragons.
    RantFromRant wrote:i always solo everything then coop since its a lot eaiser to make all the armors and weapons.
    If you're talking about the PSP stuff: You actually found people to quest with? I envy you . . .
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?

Post by RANT Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Oran_G_Coon wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:can you honoestly tell me that the first time you played it solo it was easier than demon's or dark souls?
    No way! Demon's Souls was definitely easier to get into - you could LOCK ON to enemies! And no matter how crappy your damage was, at least in Demon's Souls your weapon never bounced off every now and then (not counting attacking enemy shields . . . but who does that?)
    RantFromRant wrote:(tri is easy mode btw)
    So true, and not just because of the improved camera. After playing Unite I realized the big bad Alatreon was just a bigger clone of the weaker Elder Dragons.
    RantFromRant wrote:i always solo everything then coop since its a lot eaiser to make all the armors and weapons.
    If you're talking about the PSP stuff: You actually found people to quest with? I envy you . . .

there wasnt a lot of people and some of them already had a roup they would always play with(which is the reason you see a lot of locked rooms) but you usually can find someone that will help you. i havent played it in over a year but that's how it was when i used to play pretty much everyday. im so pissed capcom never released 3rd in north america, not ecvcen the hd version for ps3 which looks awesome.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:43 pm

befowler wrote:The original Moria and Angband games in the 90s. A thousand different items and effects to memorize, randomly generated dungeons every time, and one save file per character with perma-death. They were turn-based so you had to think about literally every move, because if your resistance potion happened to wear off the turn before a full strength chaos drake decided to blast you, your 50th level paladin was going to turn back into a level 1 pumpkin in a hurry. There was also no cap on mob summons, so if you step through a door just as a death lord summons an archlich, the archlich summons 10 liches, each lich can then summon 10 nether wraiths, each of which can then summon 10 barrow wights, etc, and suddenly your laptop is on the other side of the room. This goes way back, but I think you can still find them online if you really want to lose a year of your life.

These are available for free on any android device. I just downloaded them for my new tablet. See you in a year!
    Everynevers
    Everynevers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Everynevers Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:46 pm

I LOVED/hated my MH Freedom on my PSP. Once my co-op buddy ditched his copy, I wasn't able to get back into it. I thought the MH I played was incredibly challenging. I really REALLY want a 360/PS3 MH to be released for NA... kinda gave up on that dream. Seems Capcom just doesn't think us round-eyes can handle it or something.
    defacto
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Everynevers wrote:I LOVED/hated my MH Freedom on my PSP. Once my co-op buddy ditched his copy, I wasn't able to get back into it. I thought the MH I played was incredibly challenging. I really REALLY want a 360/PS3 MH to be released for NA... kinda gave up on that dream. Seems Capcom just doesn't think us round-eyes can handle it or something.

Yeah not really sure why they think that a translation would cost so much money to not make it worth it.

It can't cost that much to port it to NA/Europe.

GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:30 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:both .hack ps2 trilogies, good music and interesting concepts, the monster hunter games (always chasing tail, much like dark souls lol), the soul reaver series, Phantom brave (srpg)

Look up sword art online.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:05 pm

Re Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, I loved this on the PS1 and recently downloaded it from the PSN store. Specifically, there is a code you can enter for your name in chargen that will start you with 99 Luck, but sets all other stats to 0 and gives you only 25 hp to start. Plus since your constitution starts at 0 you get only 1 hp a level until the stat itself breaks like 10, so you need about 25 levels to get anywhere close to what you have when you start a regular game at level 1. This makes the game much more Dark Souls-y, because with almost no life, no defense, and no offense to speak of even basic mob at the beginning completely destroy you. I had to resort to using only his combo spells for several hours (and even that is hard because your magic points are also nerfed thanks to your 0 intelligence).

In theory your high Luck should help you get rare drops better, but the drops themselves are pretty worthless until you get to the tough monsters mid-game and later. The parallels to dark souls are actually pretty interesting.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:30 pm

There are very few games that try to appeal to the same areas as Dark souls. Personally I have not played demon souls, and have little interest in doing so, but I have found dark souls to be a profoundly enjoyable game.
    Other games that have had a similar effect are:
    Dragon age origins (mostly due to the vastly increased intricacy of interactions with people and deep story)
    The elder scrolls 4 oblivion (first elder scrolls game I played, it blew me away)
    The elder scrolls 5 skyrim (an amazing successor to oblivion)
    The mass effect trilogy (everything about these amazed me until the ending of the third game)
    Bioshock 2 (while you didnt really have to delve into the story to enjoy the game, it was immensely thought provoking to consider the ideas that were presented)
    Assassins creed (almost purely from a gameplay standpoint, but still worth mentioning)
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 pm

*Worthy* . This reeks of pretention.
    Everynevers
    Everynevers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Everynevers Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:37 pm

befowler wrote:Re Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, I loved this on the PS1 and recently downloaded it from the PSN store. Specifically, there is a code you can enter for your name in chargen that will start you with 99 Luck, but sets all other stats to 0 and gives you only 25 hp to start. Plus since your constitution starts at 0 you get only 1 hp a level until the stat itself breaks like 10, so you need about 25 levels to get anywhere close to what you have when you start a regular game at level 1. This makes the game much more Dark Souls-y, because with almost no life, no defense, and no offense to speak of even basic mob at the beginning completely destroy you. I had to resort to using only his combo spells for several hours (and even that is hard because your magic points are also nerfed thanks to your 0 intelligence).

In theory your high Luck should help you get rare drops better, but the drops themselves are pretty worthless until you get to the tough monsters mid-game and later. The parallels to dark souls are actually pretty interesting.

I'm pretty sure I have a playthrough with that "save-name" going... It's been so long I don't remember how far I got, lol.
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Monster hunter definitely springs to mind, only with less story and more OH MY GOOD LORD WHAT IS THAT HUMONUGUS LEECH ON THE CEILING. OH GOD IT'S GOT BOB OH GOD RUUUUUUN (google search gigginox if you don't believe me). And a separate online and offline mode.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Aznul wrote:Personally I have not played demon souls, and have little interest in doing so, but I have found dark souls to be a profoundly enjoyable game.
    You are missing out winking

If you haven't checked it out and at least plan to watch a let's play, I would recommend Squint's: http://lparchive.org/Demons-Souls/ Very thorough and in-depth commentary.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 am