Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Mr. Tart
BIG TIME MASTER
ComaPrison
MasterofShadows
raecor14
mugenis4real
ViralEnsign_
Acarnatia
Marino.
MosquitoPower
Serious_Much
mr_no_face
Djem
Nessima017
ChizFreak
callipygias
Forum Pirate
WyrmHero
22 posters

Stealth mode, yes or no?

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Stealth mode, yes or no? Empty Stealth mode, yes or no?

Post by WyrmHero Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:24 pm

If you guys have played Skyrim, you know when you press R3 or L3 can't remember right now, you get on stealth mode. Do you guys think this idea could be implemented in DkS 2? Another game, Kingdoms of Amalur, uses this same mode for the rogue class in third person, and it's fun as hell. The thing here is that most enemies in the Souls series are always waiting for you. They literally are facing towards you in every area.

For the thing to work, from has to make these enemies walk a random path or some of them facing their backs.Then you can go on stealth mode and use your daggers/critical weapons for backstabbing them. Arrows and spells can work the same way, boosting the critical damage while on stealth mode.This idea can make assassin, sneaky builds more fun for PvE.

For PvP, stealth mode wouldn't be as effective unless a completely invisible spell or ring can hide you from players. This mode can also mean that backstabs aren't as powerful as when done in stealth mode, or maybe can't be done at all. If both backstabs can be done then the stealth mode animation has a different animation than the normal backstab.

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Stealth mode, yes or no? Empty Re: Stealth mode, yes or no?

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Clever cat ring. Or thief ring? Can never remember, anyways it (they?) worked fine as a stealth mode imo, and they cost ringslots.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Thief ring yeah. The fog ring doesn't work like that one right?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 pm

No. Fog ring makes you translucient, thief ring reduced the range at which the opponent could see you. It got intense fighting someone dodging in and out of your sight range
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:40 pm

My initial reaction is no, but that comes from the fear that anything that moves the Souls series closer to other rpg's game play might snowball.

After thinking about it I'm still going to say no, because I like that now you have to give up a ring slot and spell slot to be in stealth mode. You have to plan ahead instead of just clicking a button.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:00 pm

These are my thoughts:

• Add somekind of thief ring, with it's original effect, not Fog Ring which just makes you translucent.
    • Modify Hidden Body it has the same effect as Thief Ring. They don't stack.
    • When you have either Hidden Body or Thief Ring active/equipped, you can only advance at walk speed but while doing a special crouch/sneak mode animation, AND you're translucent. The translucent effect is just the identifier of the spell/ring, the way people realize you were using that. People can still lock on you at a certain distance even though you're invisible.
    • Revamp Chameleon spell so your form have the proper lighting of the environment, it's very easy to distinguish people that used Chameleon because their form stands out from the environment, for further reference use Chameleon next to a pot in Dark Anor Londo and you will see the difference. To balance it, because otherwise you would have to go like a madman destroying every piece of the enviorment for the chance it's an invader silly, make people that used Chameleon cause a very distinguish, yet no loud, noise. A careful player will stop for a moment, and hear the enviorment, thus revealing that that he is not alone in that place. Yet the noise doesn't have to be too loud, otherwise it would just make it as easy as the lighting issue.
    • Make invaders cause noise, AND modify Aural Decoy spell so it causes real sounds accord to the enviorment (but this spell has no cast sound).
    • A cool idea, but I'm just dreaming, would be to make an area where enemies AND players (except yourself of course) are all invisible. The only way to see them is to consume an item (like transient curse) or could be just keep a ring equipped. But you only see enemies as red fog until you get really close to them and see their true form. It would make so invaders can hide in packs of enemies only to surprise the host once he gets close.

PS: I gave you +1, what's up with all this waves of people repping down others' post when they just suggest new things?
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I like the idea personally it would be a nice evolution aslong as its not super easy to stealth and enemies dont forget about arrows in there back *cough skyrim.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:07 pm

The enemies in dks will just stand there and let you shoot them repeatedly if you have some distance. thats better how?
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:The enemies in dks will just stand there and let you shoot them repeatedly if you have some distance. thats better how?
    "dont forget" so they dont just stand there, so they look for u.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Right, my bad. Sorry. Lots of Skyrim bashing here, and I like skyrim so I'm quick to jump on it.

Anyways yeah, decent ai would be nice.
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Right, my bad. Sorry. Lots of Skyrim bashing here, and I like skyrim so I'm quick to jump on it.

Anyways yeah, decent ai would be nice.
    No worries, i like the game aswell the stealth is just a bit derpy lol.
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:15 pm

As much as i love dark souls though the AI is sooo bad sometimes. So for a good stealth system we need smart AI
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:15 pm

It'd be more fitting if Dark Souls II gave stealth mode to the enemies. Seems only fair for me to catch an arrow in the face from a stealth sniper, or be snuck up on from behind by a roaming knight or something.
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

callipygias wrote:It'd be more fitting if Dark Souls II gave stealth mode to the enemies. Seems only fair for me to catch an arrow in the face from a stealth sniper, or be snuck up on from behind by a roaming knight or something.
    That would be badass. A noise indicator would be good for that but you would have to listen carefully for things like a bow stretching.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Nessima017 wrote:As much as i love dark souls though the AI is sooo bad sometimes. So for a good stealth system we need smart AI

Indeed they have to make the enemies smarter and more unpredictable. Most enemies in DkS just go rushing towards you in super aggressive mode which can be fun and challenging but it's not as interesting.
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 pm

WyrmHero wrote:
    Nessima017 wrote:As much as i love dark souls though the AI is sooo bad sometimes. So for a good stealth system we need smart AI

Indeed they have to make the enemies smarter and more unpredictable. Most enemies in DkS just go rushing towards you in super aggressive mode which can be fun and challenging but it's not as interesting.

They also need to fix pathing up, i grinding tactic i always use it too gather all the cat covenant npcs and is to lead them to the stairs, then you stand behind it and all the npcs just leap of the edge, its funny but immersion breaking.
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:25 pm

I really dont think stealth should be stat related though just through skill maybe armor i dunno.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm

The sneaking system needs improvement, but I don't want to be able to hide from other players just because I pressed a button, I want it to involve skill.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 pm

after reading the first page Honestly stealth in dark souls and demon's souls was a very small and very under utilized concept. But in Dark/ Demon's souls when was there ever a time that you weren't trying to kill everything in you path to take its' souls unless you were running just to get from point A to point B because you needed to get to a blacksmith or merchant. Surely the rings and spells we have now create enough of a stealth factor but still makes it the brutal "everyone is against you" game. Skyrim is a world where you can afford to sneak around people thus leveling you sneak skill. In the Souls games you don't want to just pass up kills resulting in souls thus leveling you up. keep the hardcore stealth to Metal Gear folks
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Stealthers were everywhere in demons souls. Slippery buggers to. Maybe I was abnormal but like a third of my fights were against stealther with huge swords who rolled around like sonic the hedgehog.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm

well i mean taking baby steps to insure a quiet approach is decent enough with a few added rings is all thats needed in my opinion i really liked the battle with the Old Hero because he was blind and it made you want to be as sneaky as possible which isn't hard
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 pm

Stealth mode... No. Equips/spells to
    Make stealth an option- yes.

Chameleon/hidden body are cool, the options from semons for stealth were a good laugh too
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Maybe you guys are right there are alot of options, enemies just seem to have 360 vision sometimes lol. I think enemies that use stealth aslong as your given things to notice them by is a great idea though, there was 1 npc like that in dark souls it was one of the cat covenant guys.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Stealth mode... No. Equips/spells to
    Make stealth an option- yes.

Chameleon/hidden body are cool, the options from semons for stealth were a good laugh too

Im for stealth spells as well, but I want one like Chameleon that lets you become or possess one of the world objects not just tern into one.

That way, when under invasion the attack could come from any destructible object!

Or even amp it up even more and have more enemys like those rats that jump out of boxes... only this time there is no telling what box/object they are in.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Nessima017 wrote:Maybe you guys are right there are alot of options, enemies just seem to have 360 vision sometimes lol. I think enemies that use stealth aslong as your given things to notice them by is a great idea though, there was 1 npc like that in dark souls it was one of the cat covenant guys.
    I kind of disagree with the 'given things to notice' part, though I like the earlier thing you said about hearing the bowstring draw from a sniper. In general I think if they did something like this it should be player quality. Make us nervous to the point we're inching through areas scanning everywhere, including up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 pm