Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Swords That the porcelien mask guys are using

Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Swords That the porcelien mask guys are using Empty Swords That the porcelien mask guys are using

Post by Johnthethird Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01 am

In case you didn't know, the sword that they were all using is called the Falcata. They were used by the ancient celts, and are based off of the greek kopis.

This is a Falcata.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Swords That the porcelien mask guys are using Empty Re: Swords That the porcelien mask guys are using

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:08 am

Well there are lots of name for the types of sword they are using...

Kopis, Kukiri, etc.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Swords That the porcelien mask guys are using Empty Re: Swords That the porcelien mask guys are using

Post by Acarnatia Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 am

You've got that backwards-the Greek and Roman weapons of similar design are believed to be based off the falcata, believed to have been invented by the CeltIberians. And the Khopis, falcata and kukri, while similar in design, are NOT the same weapon. They are not the same length, have different curves and are handled differently. Saying those are the same is the equivalent of saying a gladius is the same thing as a spatha.
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:33 am

Acarnatia wrote:You've got that backwards-the Greek and Roman weapons of similar design are believed to be based off the falcata, believed to have been invented by the CeltIberians. And the Khopis, falcata and kukri, while similar in design, are NOT the same weapon. They are not the same length, have different curves and are handled differently. Saying those are the same is the equivalent of saying a gladius is the same thing as a spatha.
    I do not think they are the same, but I'm fairly certain that the weapon from the trailer is a falcata and not a kopis. I apologize that I got the order mixed up. It was always my impression that the Celts got the design of the falcata from greek merchants.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 am

It's understandable; it's just that it's actually the reverse of that-the Greeks and Romans actually took the falcata from the CeltIberians. (the Celtic tribes of Iberia, or modern Spain) And, yes, based on the length and curve it does seem to be a falcata, though those were obsolete long before full-plate armor was invented, so perhaps not. I think so, though.
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:29 am

Acarnatia wrote:It's understandable; it's just that it's actually the reverse of that-the Greeks and Romans actually took the falcata from the CeltIberians. (the Celtic tribes of Iberia, or modern Spain) And, yes, based on the length and curve it does seem to be a falcata, though those were obsolete long before full-plate armor was invented, so perhaps not. I think so, though.
    This could mean two things.

It could mean that it is simply a prequel, and takes place in the time when those were still used.

IT could also mean that because the gods are no longer here, the humans have become more primitive in technology.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:42 am

More than likely, they saw a cool sword and paid more attention to its design and uses, and not when it became obsolete.

Plus the weapon would still be effective against less armored enemies. Or it could just be a cultural or stylistic choice from the group.
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:56 am

Tolvo wrote:More than likely, they saw a cool sword and paid more attention to its design and uses, and not when it became obsolete.

Plus the weapon would still be effective against less armored enemies. Or it could just be a cultural or stylistic choice from the group.
    Yeah thats true. Dark souls tends to get you used to overanalyzing.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 am

it looks like a scimitar crossed with an axe, maybe some decent str scaling on a curved sword?
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:it looks like a scimitar crossed with an axe, maybe some decent str scaling on a curved sword?
    It's deffinately a falcata. And yeah. I could see this sword having streangth scaling. I'm guessing streangth and dex will both be Cs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:13 pm