Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Pharaun
Whknight
FlamingHarlekin
Halicarnassis
Brokewilly
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Carphil
shadowsoldiers
Big Ben
deadagain
DxV04
strangejoy
16 posters

The Forest Covenant!

strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The Forest Covenant! Empty The Forest Covenant!

Post by strangejoy Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41 am

I had a sh 🤡 t ton of fun last night killing high level forest hosts and their phantoms with my low level toon. My success rate was well under 50%, but it feels great to pull off a victory now and again. I thought it might be helpful to collect a few tips for dealing with forest hosts, sunbros, and the occassional darkwraith that helps the host. Please feel free to add tips. IMO, all bets are off when you're dealing with these clowns; you should feel free to pivot stab, chain bs, etc., when you see mr. havels pinwheel and goldilocks charging in your direction.

(1) Use power within! I'm amazed that I never see other forest covenenters using this buff. It's ideal for forest invasions. First off all, you're never going to have a fight with a camper and his phantoms that lasts longer than 100 seconds. Either you get in there and kill them in several hits, or it's over. Extra bonus: forest hosts are way too dumb to bleed you out. It has never once happened to me. I'm not even sure they recognize the obvious aura.

(2) Bring a hard hitting elemental weapon. This falls in the "duh" category, but it's worth mentioning. Claymores, bandit's knives, rapiers, and mail breakers are all contenders.

(3) If you're pimping a bandit's knife, rapier, or mail breaker, don't forget your hornet's ring. Even an SL300 is going to feel the pain when he's bs'd with a +5 lightning mailbreaker + hornet's ring + power within.

(4) Don't be a hero. There is no point in charging into combat if your opponents are positioned such that you can't get to the host without going through the sunbro and subjecting yourself to a 2v1 backstab fest. Pull back and wait for reinforcements. The hosts and their phantoms tend to refuse to engage you 1 on 1, and they also often refuse to move from their favored camping spots, so you'll have time to run on most occassions.

(5) Consider hanging out in Alvina's room and using fire tempest when the host and his sunbro come waltzing in. Make sure your back is to the wall, and pack your best poise gear if you're going to try to pull this off. Inner strength + dusk crown will maximize your success.

(6) When you're dealing with a darkwraith that is helping a host, it's a good idea to engage them together in close quarters (again, Alvina's room is a good spot). The host and DW will sometimes accidentally hit each other, which is great for lols and gives you and opening to kill.

(7) Kill the host, fool! The campers don't pay anything when you kill their sunbros. All they need to do is resummon, and there are apparently no shortage of sunbros willing to troll the forest. This goes double for darkwraiths. If you kill them first, the host will actually get souls and humanity as their reward for being a lameass bitch.

(8 ) Change your ring after you get the invasion message. Once the invasion message starts going, it's irreversible (unless there is a connection issue), so this is a great time to change your ring. Going into combat with Alvina's ring is a total waste.

(9) Wrath of God! There are good and bad uses of WoG. A bad use is charging into your opponents and attempting to spam the spell. Unless you have a very powerful WoG (I don't), this isn't going to kill your host or their golden boy. It also looks stupid and gives your host an excuse to call you cheap, even when they're double-teaming you (waaah, WoG spam). A good use is finishing off a host after a successful bs or combo. When the host's health is low, his trusty phantom will always try to prevent a chain bs and the host will always try to retreat. Using WoG at this moment forces the phantom to back off and punishes the host for their flasking shenanigans. Another good use is to hit the host and his phantom on the stairs behind Alvina's room. It's extremely hard to avoid WoG and the stairs, and using this spell often causes the host and his phantom to do something stupid that results in a free backstab (i.e., a drop attack from the stairs). If they run away instead of faicing WoG on the stairs, you can hold out for reinforcements.

(10) Use the mobs. While many campers clear out the mobs immediately outside of the bonfire and in the clearing before Alvina's room, few campers bother to kill the treants near the eastern set corpse (follow the wall next to the stairs until you get near the edge of the cliff). When you walk past those mobs, they'll wake up. Use them to your advantage. The mobs provide a temporary distraction for one of the 2 or 3 campers, giving you a 5 or so second window to pin down the host. Resist the temptation to focus too much on any distracted phantoms and beeline towards the host. If both the host and the phantom(s) engage the same mob, consider tossing a fireball into the mix to break up the party. Note: This only applies to instances where you're outnumbered (2v1 or 3v1). If you're in a 1v1 or 2v2 situation, don't waste time and demean yourself running around trying to attract mobs.

(11) If you happen to see me in the forest as a fellow blue (psn: eight_way_santa; I wear royal helmet, black iron chest, and hollow soldier legs), please don't interupt any 1v1 fights. I can't speak for other forest covenenters, but I enjoy the occassional 1v1 against the rare honorable host. Also, if I invade while you're fighting 1v1, don't expect any help unless your opponent is doing something obviously cheap.

Last edited by strangejoy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

The Forest Covenant! Empty Re: The Forest Covenant!

Post by DxV04 Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:49 pm

very good advice. I usually lure them past aliva go right around the steps and activate chaos fire storm of sword dance.
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Awesome advice, just joined forest hunter. Now I need to aquire power within.
    Big Ben
    Big Ben
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Big Ben Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

You make sunbros sound like bad people! All we are doing is helping those who ask for help!

PRAISE THE SUN! cheers
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Big Ben wrote:You make sunbros sound like bad people! All we are doing is helping those who ask for help!

PRAISE THE SUN! cheers

Come to the forest, golden boy. I've got a claymore that will fit quite nicely between your grossly incandescent eyes. twisted
    shadowsoldiers
    shadowsoldiers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by shadowsoldiers Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 pm

You've never run into me when you're in the forest I guess. Flamburge and lifehunt are my 2 weapons. Both bleed silly I'm quick to get backstabs and Im faster than you. haha. Nobody has ever outrun me hehehehe. I'll be there later tonight after some Darkwraith invasions to get 99 humanity. Hope to see you there >: ) if you try and recognize me, I wear darkmask and armor of thorns with 2h flamberge that doesn't team you with my host. ^^ but if you run or hide I will hunt you down. o.o
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 pm

shadowsoldiers wrote:You've never run into me when you're in the forest I guess. Flamburge and lifehunt are my 2 weapons. Both bleed silly I'm quick to get backstabs and Im faster than you. haha. Nobody has ever outrun me hehehehe. I'll be there later tonight after some Darkwraith invasions to get 99 humanity. Hope to see you there >: ) if you try and recognize me, I wear darkmask and armor of thorns with 2h flamberge that doesn't team you with my host. ^^ but if you run or hide I will hunt you down. o.o

PSN or Xbox? I plan to be on PSN tonight with my SL12. Bleed isn't relevant to me, because my vitality is too low to sustain more than two or three hits from a fully upgraded weapon. 8) You'll recognize me by my royal helmet. I'm the only person I know who uses it (not sure why).
    shadowsoldiers
    shadowsoldiers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by shadowsoldiers Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 pm

:afro: Psn ofc <3 mine is sl 80 +5 chaos flamburge. I am noticed because I don't attack you when you fight my host unless he's loosing, then a quick jumping slash with the lifehunt says your all mine >: )

I'm one of the few using thorns armor so i'll be noticed pretty easily.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I also use the royal helmet with my low level darkwraith. Check him out:

Royal helmet

Solaire's chest

Solaire's shield

Chaos Barbed Straight Sword

Gloves of thorns

Leggings of thorns
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 pm

used to have a forest hunter toon, i usually camoflauged until the lvl 200+ host fell of a cliff or got squashed by another phantom sometimes i camoed then kicked them off, never a head up fight, not at lvl 15!
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

New advice added. The forest covenent was totally awesome last night. I lost track of all the hosts and golden boys that I killed, and I think others were having a lot of success too. As far as I know, we dislodged all of the campers. winking Rock on, forest brothers!
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 pm

strangejoy - Great advice. I never tried Power within as part of my attack. And you are right since you don't have much time it may just be enough to quickly kill a host. Also, never thought about fighting in the room with Alvina - I usually like to be able move around some. Will also give that a try combined with Power Within and Fire Tempest since my poise is high enough for me to get if off.

Got my butt kicked most of last night and this morning. Ran into some tough dudes but oh well - who wants to live forever!!!

Keep the faith - this battle will be won
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Brokewilly wrote:strangejoy - Great advice. I never tried Power within as part of my attack. And you are right since you don't have much time it may just be enough to quickly kill a host. Also, never thought about fighting in the room with Alvina - I usually like to be able move around some. Will also give that a try combined with Power Within and Fire Tempest since my poise is high enough for me to get if off.

Got my butt kicked most of last night and this morning. Ran into some tough dudes but oh well - who wants to live forever!!!

Keep the faith - this battle will be won

Sorry to hear about the butt kicking. What SL are you? I recently leveled my SL12 to SL50, and it has significantly increased my kill rate. It helps to have a few spells and other tricks in your arsenal.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Hats off to you strange this is a truly well made post and almost wants me to change back to a forest hunter... Maybe NG+?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 pm

strangejoy - I'm SL 160 - must have been running into some high soul level campers (2 at a time mostly) since I usually don't have that many problems. The weapons I'm most leary of is the Moonlight Greatsword and that dang Greatsword of Astorias. Last night ended with a camper I nearly beat a previous invasion (used every attack & defense I knew) - he simply refusing to fight back when I fought him the 2nd time - I guess I shook him up previously and he did not want to lose his souls & humanity. We just basically just looked at each other - it was kinda funny. If another forest member would have invaded - I would had to save face by joining in on the kill. He looked pitiful though - so I just warped out.

War is behavior with roots in the single cell of the primeval seas. Eat whatever you touch or it will eat you." - FRANK HERBERT, Chapterhouse: Dune

Brokewilly signing off - can't wait to enter the forest once more with murderous intent in my eyes.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Brokewilly wrote:strangejoy - I'm SL 160 - must have been running into some high soul level campers (2 at a time mostly) since I usually don't have that many problems. The weapons I'm most leary of is the Moonlight Greatsword and that dang Greatsword of Astorias. Last night ended with a camper I nearly beat a previous invasion (used every attack & defense I knew) - he simply refusing to fight back when I fought him the 2nd time - I guess I shook him up previously and he did not want to lose his souls & humanity. We just basically just looked at each other - it was kinda funny. If another forest member would have invaded - I would had to save face by joining in on the kill. He looked pitiful though - so I just warped out.

"War is behavior with roots in the single cell of the primeval seas. Eat whatever you touch or it will eat you." - FRANK HERBERT, Chapterhouse: Dune

Brokewilly signing off - can't wait to enter the forest once more with murderous intent in my eyes.

I also find the moonlight great sword to be a challenge. I don't see artorias that frequently. Hey, if you have a slot open, why not cast great magic barrier before you go in for the kill? Make sure to do it out of their sight, as they likely have backup weapons, and you'll want to be able to keep your trick a secret if you face them more than once.

Hopefully we'll run into each other in the forest one of these days.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:22 pm

strangejoy - Yeah - definitely I use Great Magic Barrier - that's how I was able to shake the camper up last night. He could not hurt me for a period of time so he was like what the heck. One time when I used GMB - I basically had to chase a spellcaster all around the forest. - so funny.

I am going to try Power Within (especially since they may not notice the aura) in order to kill a host fairly quickly - hopefully I can the lure a camper in Alvina's area and cast Fire Tempest. I really need to work on my ability to quickly kill the host.

A nice war is a war where everybody who is heroic is a hero, and everybody more or less is a hero in a nice war. Now this war is not at all a nice war." - GERTRUDE STEIN, Wars I Have Seen
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 pm

strangejoy wrote:
    Big Ben wrote:You make sunbros sound like bad people! All we are doing is helping those who ask for help!

PRAISE THE SUN! cheers

Come to the forest, golden boy. I've got a claymore that will fit quite nicely between your grossly incandescent eyes. twisted

And I got a Flamberge for them too!! Oh does not suit you how about a Marukomo LOL

By the way this gravelord wants a truce with the forest hunters... serious....
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

DxV04 wrote:
    strangejoy wrote:

PRAISE THE SUN! cheers

And I got a Flamberge for them too!! Oh does not suit you how about a Marukomo LOL

By the way this gravelord wants a truce with the forest hunters... serious....

I love both the Flamberge and the Murakumo, so it suits me fine. I've unintentionally invaded a number of gravelords in the forest recently. They were all honorable 1v1 fights, so I've got no beef with the GLs. But when I invade, I'm obliged to kill regardless of the victim. Who am I to disobey the cat?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 pm

strangejoy - undying loyalty to the feline queen - priceless!! Now that is the spirit. The forest is too chaotic of a place to trust anyone but another forest covenant member - everyone else is a potential threat.

Oh I love this covenant - even though I get my butt kicked to the ground sometimes.

"War demands sacrifice of the people. It gives only suffering in return." - FREDERIC CLEMSON HOWE

Brokewilly over and out - gotta grind before the killing!
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Ok thats cool, I figured forest hunters would be happy to torture any jumpers with BP mushroom people. Just trying to help... twisted

By the way I moonlight as a forest hunter. and the weapons where meant for the sunbro not the forest hunter winking
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:10 am

DxV04 wrote:Ok thats cool, I figured forest hunters would be happy to torture any jumpers with BP mushroom people. Just trying to help... twisted

By the way I moonlight as a forest hunter. and the weapons where meant for the sunbro not the forest hunter winking

Fair enough. If I see you, I might just black crystal.
    FlamingHarlekin
    FlamingHarlekin
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FlamingHarlekin Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 am

So helping ppl makes us SunBros bad, did i get this right? sad The Forest Covenant! 3596227959

oh well i will still do that what i love the most -> The Forest Covenant! 639795459 and Jolly-Coop! big grin PTS! The Forest Covenant! 639795459
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:56 am

FlamingHarlekin wrote:So helping ppl makes us SunBros bad, did i get this right? sad The Forest Covenant! 3596227959

It's confusing, isn't it? The word "help" has possitive connotations, but it turns out that helping people gangbang invaders at spawn points is generally frowned upon. In real life, helping can also be ambiguous. Helping someone rob a bank = not the good kind of help. Helping multiple people beat up a single person in a competitive match = cheesy in real life and Dark Souls.

Anyway, I'm glad the sunbros do it. The forest wouldn't be as much fun otherwise. It would be just another duel location (well, "just another" is probably the wrong phrase, as the typical duel locations are becoming more and more like the forest). Happy hunting, golden boy cheers .
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 am

I've been tempted as of late to just wander in there and see how many people I beat up before someone brings me down... Sometimes good can be tempted to do great evil The Forest Covenant! 1330857165

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:47 am