Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
ViralEnsign_
Tolvo
Rarayn
billy_bayonet
Mr. Tart
Spurgun
10 posters

A question to everyone who knows anything about medieval warfare/soldier setups

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

A question to everyone who knows anything about medieval warfare/soldier setups - Page 2 Empty Re: A question to everyone who knows anything about medieval warfare/soldier setups

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:23 am

I wouldn't know the names of techniques there but probably shoulda helped that thread stay alive. It was a good one. Spur, my two cents here for your build would just to be to define "foot soldier" better. Economy determines all and you could be stuck with the Gold Hemmed set and a club for an accurate foot soldier. Personally, I envision conscripted soldiers or untrained villagers with weapons when I think of a typical foot soldier. So light armors, probably clothing or leather (if lucky) look. Weapons would be spears, small axes, maybe a wooden shield.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

A question to everyone who knows anything about medieval warfare/soldier setups - Page 2 Empty Re: A question to everyone who knows anything about medieval warfare/soldier setups

Post by Tolvo Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 am

That's always the thing about fantasy, it doesn't depict reality. In movies and books you always see walls of armored head to toe enemies going at it with finely crafted swords, and all sorts of expensive things.

When in reality in a battle 250 vs 250, in total you'd have like maybe 20 guys like that.
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 am

Tolvo wrote:Perhaps we should see a revival of this thread?

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t11379-hema-historical-european-martial-arts
    That's the kind of thread I enjoy lurking in, but rarely have much to add in. What I know about medieval equipment and tactics has mostly been picked up on the side as I study other historical topics. (Which means I know enough to find the Estoc one of the most frustrating weapon in the game, but not enough to discuss anything in any depth)
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:30 am

skarekrow13 wrote:I wouldn't know the names of techniques there but probably shoulda helped that thread stay alive. It was a good one. Spur, my two cents here for your build would just to be to define "foot soldier" better. Economy determines all and you could be stuck with the Gold Hemmed set and a club for an accurate foot soldier. Personally, I envision conscripted soldiers or untrained villagers with weapons when I think of a typical foot soldier. So light armors, probably clothing or leather (if lucky) look. Weapons would be spears, small axes, maybe a wooden shield.

When i think of foot soldier, i think of someone who is outfitted with weapons. They might not be in good condition, and they might not be the best there is, but they have at least been given real weapons. I don't know what kind of armor they would have.

What you're describing right now is what i would call pheasants. People with no training that have been called out to war, and just use whatever they can find as a weapon.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:02 am

I know you didn't ask for a pheasant set, but i just had to make one real quick. xD

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3094293283184699
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 am

I think the pheasant could also have a longbow (used for hunting), and a wooden shield silly
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am

Wooden shield, good idea. Bow, doesn't feel pheasanty enough. silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

Short bow, Long Bows were typically used for archers on walls. As well you had to be trained to use one.
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 am

Ideal Dark Souls pheasant build:
    Spoiler:
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:11 am

You forgot to give him a pheasant, a type of dagger . silly
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:11 am

Tolvo wrote:Short bow, Long Bows were typically used for archers on walls. As well you had to be trained to use one.

Ok.

@Rarayn.

lol!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:16 am

Alright, so you're looking at basic trained infantry. Any polearm except for my Great Scythe or Lifehunt but spears, winged spears, halberds would fit my sterotype the best. Leather or chain armor. Basically, I'm adding zero to the conversation big grin

Think Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the end battle scene. They have equipment but Lancelot's is better.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 am

*has not watched that movie*
    Okay, now i know what they should look like lol

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

I think you should cease all use of any TBBT avatars and references immediately. If you haven't seen that movie your nerd card is forfeit.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 am

I'm pretty sure that i wasn't even born when that movie came out >.>

And i never claimed that i was a nerd. I'm just using this avatar because i like TBBT, and because it's funny.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:33 am

Lol. Just ribbing you. That movie is hysterical however
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 am

In a good way or in a bad way?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:36 am

A good way, it's considered one of the greatest comedies of all time.
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 am

Tolvo wrote:You forgot to give him a pheasant, a type of dagger . silly

Good point.

Updated pheasant build:
    Spoiler:
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:39 am

Both. Some things are just plain silly and absurd. Others take absurdity to genius levels. There's a lot of subtle cleverness too. Overall I would call the movie genius but on the surface many things look downright stupid or nonsensical. For example, there's a point in which we're introduced to an enchanter/wizard associated with King Arthur. He's asked his name which most assume will be "Merlin." He gives an unexpected answer which is pretty clever in it's own right. However, the delivery from the actor is really what sets it up. I've seen the movie dozens of times and could still do a spit take on occasion with that line.

And oh yeah, I may one of the grizzled old timers here but it's older than I am too actually.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 pm

So, should i watch it?

And i'm probably one of the youngest members on the forum silly
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Yes you should
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 pm

I'll see if i can find it anywhere.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Spurgun wrote:I'm pretty sure that i wasn't even born when that movie came out >.>

And i never claimed that i was a nerd. I'm just using this avatar because i like TBBT, and because it's funny.

Omg that's from TBBT? God i'm stupid. Look Skyward
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:
    Spurgun wrote:I'm pretty sure that i wasn't even born when that movie came out >.>

Omg that's from TBBT? God i'm stupid. Look Skyward

A question to everyone who knows anything about medieval warfare/soldier setups - Page 2 33m3051

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:36 pm