Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
ViralEnsign_
WarriorOfBenOwnage
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
callipygias
Rynn
ChizFreak
The Letter X
TehInfamousAmos
Glutebrah
eduardolee
XachAttack
martyrsbrigade99
WyrmHero
RANT
ChaosMoogle
19 posters

Do we all need Katanas and Greatswords? / Alternative Weapon Dueling Covenant

callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Do we all need Katanas and Greatswords? / Alternative Weapon Dueling Covenant - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we all need Katanas and Greatswords? / Alternative Weapon Dueling Covenant

Post by callipygias Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:45 pm

ChaosMoogle wrote:Katanas, Katanas...more Katanas and Claymores, with the occasional rapier turtle. That's 95% of my Burg experience, but perhaps others have better luck.
    No, that sounds about right.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Do we all need Katanas and Greatswords? / Alternative Weapon Dueling Covenant - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we all need Katanas and Greatswords? / Alternative Weapon Dueling Covenant

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=4768305251006613

the scythe halberd weighs the same as a katana.... crap this is what were going to be seeing all the time when the dlc hits isn't it... just with an uchi... this is my current build except that i have 40 vit and added the 10 extra points into str so i could use lots of weapons...
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 pm

callipygias wrote:
    ChaosMoogle wrote:Katanas, Katanas...more Katanas and Claymores, with the occasional rapier turtle. That's 95% of my Burg experience, but perhaps others have better luck.
    No, that sounds about right.

Haha! I'm not paranoid or hallucinating then silly
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Sparkly - I think so. I heard some murmurs that Katanas (why do I always want to apostrophise that word!?) had been buffed for PtDE...surely this can't be true? I hope the people that were saying that on YT etc were just trolling. I haven't done much checking into the DLC cause I want to avoid spoilers where possible; I know about the various nerfs/buffs but I wasn't sure about that one.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 pm

ChaosMoogle wrote:Sparkly - I think so. I heard some murmurs that Katanas (why do I always want to apostrophise that word!?) had been buffed for PtDE...surely this can't be true? I hope the people that were saying that on YT etc were just trolling. I haven't done much checking into the DLC cause I want to avoid spoilers where possible; I know about the various nerfs/buffs but I wasn't sure about that one.
    Katana's were NOT buffed...
    Also, will you completely outlaw the weapons, or if used in an unorthadox manner will they be permitted, such as offhand katana's, an offhand spear, etc. The point is to diversify, and this would be diversity, right?
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Yes the point would be to diversify. I would put this to the vote as the point is to diversify away from these weapons, and offhand spears, katanas and Quelaag's Furysword's are not that uncommon in my experience.
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 am

I may be able to join, but my schedule is jacked. I have a couple 120's that would qualify. I'm definitely interested though.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 am

ChaosMoogle wrote:Yes the point would be to diversify. I would put this to the vote as the point is to diversify away from these weapons, and offhand spears, katanas and Quelaag's Furysword's are not that uncommon in my experience.

I never once dueled a Quelaags Fury sword
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:24 am

If people havent already mentioned this....the forum covenants section is a pretty good place to talk builds and set up duels and what not.
    godpenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by godpenguin Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:27 am

Uh, new player here. Before I started to get into pvp I went with an int build because I wanted to be caster. I then found out pure caster is not very viable (might just be me being noob but some enemies just tank or block spell spam). Prior to reading guides my build just deviated and went into what people seem to call "tryhard". Full Havels with a mask of the child. MLGS and uchigatana lol. Its the easiest.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 am

Well a Faith Int crossclassed caster is extremely viable! Try this

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2756599935277867
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am

Hi guys. More support, excellent! happy

I'm thinking of a Covenant with branches in dueling and general invading that both apply the same weapon/item philosophy. Granted, the invasion side isn't always going to result in swathes of victories, but hopefully it will allow you put to what you have learned in dueling into practice, or if you are already bad*** with slow/impractical weapons - annhilate with ridiculous builds, look awesome while doing and feel good about yourself for showing others that diversity is awesome! (which you may already be doing anyway, but hey! - why not do it for the honour of a covenant) Praise the Sun

I'll be working on some proposed guidelines/restrictions/areas/covenant mechanics over the next day or so, and will post them for all your input so that we can agree on what weapons and equipment we would all like to see outlawed for the covenant. I will be including the new content in this, but I'll mark anything from the DLC with a spoiler warning. Should I post this in the Covenant or PvP section?
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:21 am

Try the covenant section.
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:21 am

Oh, one last thing. For the invasion side, would you guys like to have weapons and armours that are covenant-rank specific like some of the other user covenants (with perhaps the more difficult PvP wepaons usable at higher covenant ranks), or would you prefer more freedom in that respect?
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am

godpenguin wrote:Uh, new player here. Before I started to get into pvp I went with an int build because I wanted to be caster. I then found out pure caster is not very viable (might just be me being noob but some enemies just tank or block spell spam). Prior to reading guides my build just deviated and went into what people seem to call "tryhard". Full Havels with a mask of the child. MLGS and uchigatana lol. Its the easiest.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with anyone doing this happy Everyone has to learn to PvP somewhere, and the Katana and Greatsword weapon classes are the best places to start. The covenant will be aimed at those who would like to fight with, and fight against the more unusual and uncommon weapons purely as a change from the more frequently seen builds that most figh clubs/dueling areas present happy
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Personally, I think freedom should be allowed with armor and weapon choices regardless of rank. A big reason I haven't joined any user made covenants yet is because they have specific loadouts for certain ranks, and I want to use whatever I want to use at any given moment.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:23 pm

A cool idea would be that the high ranks have access to the most underrated/useless weapons ever. Lucerne, maces, GSoA.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I've recently caught interest in pvp myself,(i'm mostly a co-op guy, but better late than never right?) though it bugs me quite a lot when everyone looks the same etc, so yeah, i'd love it if you brought up once of those 'fight clubs', it would be real fun and great practice for me, i'm sure. As for the 'unique' weapons, i've had a lot of interest in the mace for quite a while, the only reason stopping me is the thought of pvp and that it doesn't seem to good anyway, but, yeah.
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:I've recently caught interest in pvp myself,(i'm mostly a co-op guy, but better late than never right?) though it bugs me quite a lot when everyone looks the same etc, so yeah, i'd love it if you brought up once of those 'fight clubs', it would be real fun and great practice for me, i'm sure. As for the 'unique' weapons, i've had a lot of interest in the mace for quite a while, the only reason stopping me is the thought of pvp and that it doesn't seem to good anyway, but, yeah.

Awesome silly Love the avatar btw silly Keep your eye on the Covenant section over the next day or so, I'll be posting a starting thread outlining what I propose, and to get input and opinions there happy
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks! I've been sticking with this sexy beast for about a year and a half now(not counting this forum). As for covenants, so far i haven't found any player covenants just about interesting enough to join, but as for this one, if it goes well, you can count me in. And as XachAttack said, freedom should be allowed etc. Totally agree with him, you should totally follow his advice! Joy
    xelectrowolfx
    xelectrowolfx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xelectrowolfx Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Why don't you check out the knightsofastora. We'd love to have you, and we have 30 members and growing. Check us out.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm

So what are you banning?
    Greatswords
    Katana's
    Spears
    Rapiers.

I know these for sure... but some are on the line, like Ultra Greatswords, do you consider these common?
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Rynn wrote:So what are you banning?
    Greatswords
    Katana's
    Spears
    Rapiers.

I know these for sure... but some are on the line, like Ultra Greatswords, do you consider these common?

straight swords, scythes, BKGA, daggers, DGM and DGA, Zwei are all really common as well.

looks like half the weapons in the game are really common actually.
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm working on the list today, because as you say some are on the line! I'll be posting an outline in the covenant section later today (UK here) and giving people a chance to make a case for some weapons or equipment they feel strongly about happy

xelectrowolfx wrote:Why don't you check out the knightsofastora. We'd love to have you, and we have 30 members and growing. Check us out.

Haha! Nice recruiting silly I'll probably join up with a couple of the other covenants once this is off the ground (if it takes!).

Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I only read the OP:

Recently i've tried out a build that uses a chaos server, the dragon head (not torso) and the dragonslayer greatbow and honestly these three things i've never really used before but now i love them all!! big grin

Just made up a darkmoon bow/bandit knife build on mugen that I plan to start tonight. Yes the bandit knife is overdone but two things that I think will justify this :

I've never had a fast roll or DWGR character before. Ever. I always mid roll and do just fine so this is gonna be really hard for me to control big grin

Also the bandits knife is upgraded through fire not lightning so yknow silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm