Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Greatshield shield bashing Viable?

T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Greatshield shield bashing Viable? Empty Greatshield shield bashing Viable?

Post by T-King-667 Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:53 pm

As we all know, none of the great shields can parry so instead you shield bash with them. But is it really viable? I Read somwhere once upon a time that Shield bashes are good for hitting away an opponents shields when there turtleing (equivalent to kicking) They also cause a bit of damage aswel (although not much damage even at +15) So its primary use is to beat away a shielded opponent when kicking is just as fast. I killed a few players in pvp by throwing a suprise shield attack in the end but other than that whats the use?
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Greatshield shield bashing Viable? Empty Re: Greatshield shield bashing Viable?

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm

You count as blocking while you make the attack, so it's a way to get a "kick" without dropping your guard.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 pm

In addition it takes away more stamina then a kick.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:39 pm

There's that, too. Greatshields have their place, but that's mostly to do with their defensive qualities.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Well i guess Since i useually use ultra great weapons with my greatshields I can bash to catch them off guard with a quicker attack than normal. But i dont think it still counts as a block.?
    CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CaligoIllioneus Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Also shield bashes can be parried (unlike kicks), at least by the Balder Knights and NPCs. Probably by players too, and they have huge tells...
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:38 pm

It's still a block. It's not reliable though, as you're only blocking during the last half of a bash.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Rynn wrote:It's still a block. It's not reliable though, as you're only blocking during the last half of a bash.
    Well better than nothing. I dident think it blocked at all. But yes a shield bash can Be parried by other players to the dude who asked ^^ Im trying to find a use to everything in this game and shield bashing is one of them.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Lets go over this then.

Shield Bashing pro's
    • Higher Stamina loss for blocking opponents
    • Blocks during the animation
    • Does Damage
    • It's stun effect is longer then the kick's stun.

Shield Bashing con's
    • Parryable
    • Longer animation then a kick, resulting in opponent recovering all the lost stamina inbetween bashes
    • Far more avoidable then a kick.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Rynn wrote:Lets go over this then.

Shield Bashing pro's

• Higher Stamina loss for blocking opponents
    • Blocks during the animation
    • Does Damage
    • It's stun effect is longer then the kick's stun.

Shield Bashing con's

• Parryable
    • Longer animation then a kick, resulting in opponent recovering all the lost stamina inbetween bashes
    • Far more avoidable then a kick.
    So a conclusion would you advise a shield bash over a kick? If you were useing a greatshield?
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Why use just one? A greatshield allows you to choose the best response to a given situation. One or the other will serve you better against certain adversaries, depending on how quickly you need to intercept them.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:06 pm

I'd probably start with a shield bash then start doing kicks. Most of the cons of the bash are easily worked through if you don't just keep pressing bash.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 am