Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
reim0027
dancash1808
Aleakon
Forum Pirate
The Letter X
IV_Mark_VI
10 posters

Great Magic Barrier

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Great Magic Barrier Empty Great Magic Barrier

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:23 pm

I've been using this lately on my DMB character and... I love it. It gives me the win so many times. It completely makes magic characters do nothing to me (well, no one has a backup Chaos Rapier or anything).

This is now a permanent spell on any invasion character that can spare it. I would honestly prefer this to SLB / DMB against a magic based opponent.

With this and buffs, I normally have lingering on, then switch to Wolf or Hornet or Ring of the Sun's firstborn.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Great Magic Barrier Empty Re: Great Magic Barrier

Post by The Letter X Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 pm

I've also started using this recently. It's funny when I am dueling a buff user when I myself use a buff along with GMB. It completely nullifies their attacks on me and I can attack without remorse most of the time.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:31 pm

gmb doesn't stop slb is the biggest problem (in my experience thats by far the most common buff) so its a gamble, if they use slb while you use gmb then they have a huge advantage and they're not likely to let you buff again, even if they let you the first time.

I love it, but that there's no similar miracle for slb is bull**** and undermines the point of gmb.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:38 pm

When I invade, I watch them from afar. If they have the Moonlight GS, buff. If they have Crystal HOming Soul mass, buff. If they have nothing, I normally use my buff and go on in and pop a grass.

I find magic + DMB is more common than SLB. GMB nullifies WoG, DMB, CMW, CSS, MLGS... helps out so much. I'm talking invasions here, not duels. In duels, buffs are very common. In invasions, not so much as you have to rest at a bonfire right after. CMW is more common in invasions as you have multiple casts.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Ah, I invade at 80 where buffs and magic are rare (though they're scary when they're present,) I was talking duels
    Aleakon

Post by Aleakon Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:59 pm

how does GMB work with the DLC spells ? are they getting mitigated as well by the buff ?
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:gmb doesn't stop slb is the biggest problem (in my experience thats by far the most common buff) so its a gamble, if they use slb while you use gmb then they have a huge advantage and they're not likely to let you buff again, even if they let you the first time.

I love it, but that there's no similar miracle for slb is bull**** and undermines the point of gmb.

Would having an equivalent buff to protect from SLB not defeat the point of the rare and unblockable damage type... you know by making it blockable.

and if it was what would it have over DMB +3
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 pm

GMB is awesome in the forest. Especially when one of the fighters stays back and spams CSS or MLGS 2H R2 (or WoG).
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:15 pm

dancash1808 wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:gmb doesn't stop slb is the biggest problem (in my experience thats by far the most common buff) so its a gamble, if they use slb while you use gmb then they have a huge advantage and they're not likely to let you buff again, even if they let you the first time.

Would having an equivalent buff to protect from SLB not defeat the point of the rare and unblockable damage type... you know by making it blockable.

and if it was what would it have over DMB +3
    I'm not one to call op, but slb does just as much damage as dmb+3 anyways due to the lower lightning defense of most armor. Thus making slb essentially superior, because it can't be stopped.

Imo proper balance is like rock paper scissors with preference skill and luck being the biggest parts of what is good, how good it is and in whos hands it is good, slb, being so strong and without a spell to cut its damage, is the nuke here. Its unambigiously a better choice, always, because it can't be stopped. That I have a problem with.

If there were no spell to cut the damage, but it did half the damage of dmb, I wouldn't have a problem with it, it would then be the risk free and unblockable but low power alternative to dmb or cmw.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 pm

I love the miracle, I always try to have it on my faith builds.
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:11 pm

I miss Warding...
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 pm

i always attune gmb on all my builds, its so good against dmb but specially against those annoying mlgs users i just laugh at thier 130 damage per backstab.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:28 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:
    With this and buffs, I normally have lingering on, then switch to Wolf or Hornet or Ring of the Sun's firstborn.

I am totally with you on the GMB + DMB combo. It is deadly.

I am curious as to why you use the lingering ring on this specific build? It does not increase the 40 second GMB time, nor does it increase DMB's 60 sec buff time?

On one of my Darkmoons, I invade using cracked reds and have Flash sweat, Great Magic Barrier, and Vow of Silence attuned along with either DMB or Wotg in the final slot. I use Vow when facing host plus sun bros, GMB for the reasons you stated, and Flash sweat if I notice a pyro glove before I get in range of the host. This guy uses GC shield and does not often grass, I just manage my stam.

I second the motion for a need of a "great lightning barrier" miracle. I REALLY thought we would get it with DLC considering we have pestered From about the rare defenses against lightning...but...no.. sad
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

I miss warding too. My main DeS build was Faith. I used a Clay, Mirdan, and Moonlight. All of them cut through warding.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:18 am

I use Lingering Dragon ring because I'm an idiot and thought it extended those spells...

Thanks for letting me know! I thought it worked with spells in general, not just magic/pyro.

I honestly don't like the Rock/Scissors/Paper approach for things you cannot change. I don't mind it for weapons, as you can quick select different weapons. But you can't quick select magic, so going into a fight you may have a strong advantage or disadvantage right off the hop. People may call that build strategy, but it would be nice to have a system where you can make in fight decisions instead of relying on how you're built and what spells you've selected right off the bat.

Some of the fights I find most entertaining is when I switch to a variety of weapons to counter another person's switching of weapons. Switch to a high poise weapon to counter great scythe users (Greatsword) and trade blows. If they switch to another tactic, you switch. Greatscythe does a lot, but so does a 2H hit from a Zwei or Greatsword.

I would love a system that your build could have a lot of versatility in how you fight things. GMB is great, but I feel bad for pure magic builds that can't hurt me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm