Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
SATLOS
Serious_Much
Spurgun
kings1990
Knight Alundil
Tolvo
ViralEnsign_
callipygias
Rifter7
cloudyeki
BackstabFisherman
Juutas
RANT
Purity
Ghadis_God
WyrmHero
OrnsteinBro
21 posters

How does one punish aggression...

OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

How does one punish aggression... Empty How does one punish aggression...

Post by OrnsteinBro Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:17 pm

... without backstabbing?

I'm talking about the kind that involves them running up to you, keeping as close as possible and approaching your shoulder. The kind where you don't know if they're going to swivel in for a backstab or if they are trying to be 'nice' and only go for the hit.

I generally go for the counter BS, and it always seems to make people angry. I don't know what to do, there I keep getting hate mail for 'playing dirty' and I don't want to get more- yet at the same time when I stop counter-BSing I get lagstabbed way too often.

I'm sick and tired of this. How do you guys stop aggression?
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

How does one punish aggression... Empty Re: How does one punish aggression...

Post by WyrmHero Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Parrying works, although I don't use it much because of lag. As a very aggressive player myself parrying is one of my weaknesses.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Just keep counter bsing them, it's not playing dirty to punish their tactics with another legitimate gameplay mechanic, it'll teach them not to stay in kissing distance of their opponents. Or just kick them, and immediately follow up with an attack. That will stop the pivot stabbers too.
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 pm

@Wyrm Parrying is already risky because of lag, and even more risky as you don't know whether or not they will just swivel and backstab or not.

I'll try kicking more frequently, but I've done it before it's kind of a hit-or-miss thing. Sometimes it works and they stagger, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes they just teleport past the space I was expecting to land the kick due to lag (and this is disastrous if they were meaning to land a backstab).
    Purity
    Purity
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Purity Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm

[rant]Honestly, everybody, STOP. What is this? Backstabs exist. If someone leaves an opening, gets back stabbed. They are in the game and exist for that. People fishing backstabs if anything make me laugh.

I have no idea why everybody cries so much about this, personally I simply laugh whenever someone cries for getting backstabbed. There are like 10 threads about what you should do instead of backstabbing/if its wrong to backstab when someone's fishing........ is this all this community is about?

Rage and worry less, play more! Thanks.

ps, I rarely backstab, but only because I prefer to play a different way. I don't even understand the WotG hate either, it's pretty easy to roll in and hit while they're spamming it. Oh well.

There's a ton of ways to play the game. Sometimes I wish duels would simply be whoever defeats the other first, not all this pseudo-intellectual-social-norms and stuff
    [/rant]

Sorry about that, rough day, had to get something out of my chest and that's what popped up.

Last edited by Purity on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Kicking is the best you can do if you don't wanna counter bs them, I find staying locked on always works but I have no idea why unlocking sometimes misses the kick. I say just keep countering their bs, las night a troll invAded me in anor and I countered bs'd him three times in a row, killing him then after a couple of secs I got a message from him telling me he reported me for cheating lol
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Kick...nuf said.
    BackstabFisherman
    BackstabFisherman
    Regular
    Regular

Post by BackstabFisherman Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm

For the ones sending hate mail over a backstab, just troll them even further with a reply than you did by backstabbing them.

I get hate mail all the time, its not uncommon to get one about 1/4 of the time.

Noobs are going to whine about losing to any strategy, its those lag stabbing, backstab fishing, family mask, ninja flipping, WOG spamming griefers :x or (Insert strategy/gear here) that they lose to. People whine and complain and make any excuse they can other than recognizing they suck at the game.

Part of the reason I went with this name is because someone sent me some hate mail calling me a filthy backstab fisherman. I figured the name has a nice ring to it, so I decided to use it.

So basically don't worry about being honorable, or making people mad, just play the game how you want, and hand the whiners a tissue.

Last edited by BackstabFisherman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Purity wrote:[rant]Honestly, everybody, STOP. What is this? Backstabs exist. If someone leaves an opening, gets back stabbed. They are in the game and exist for that. People fishing backstabs if anything make me laugh.

I have no idea why everybody cries so much about this, personally I simply laugh whenever someone cries for getting backstabbed. There are like 10 threads about what you should do instead of backstabbing/if its wrong to backstab when someone's fishing........ is this all this community is about?

Rage and worry less, play more! Thanks.

ps, I rarely backstab, but only because I prefer to play a different way. I don't even understand the WotG hate either, it's pretty easy to roll in and hit while they're spamming it. Oh well.

There's a ton of ways to play the game. Sometimes I wish duels would simply be whoever defeats the other first, not all this pseudo-intellectual-social-norms and stuff
    [/rant]

Sorry about that, rough day, had to get something out of my chest and that's what popped up.

I think it's because of all the hate mail. And the people who write it are not only very upright but also extremely inflammatory. It really makes you feel like less than a human being after talking to them.
    Purity
    Purity
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Purity Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 pm

It's not you who's doing anything wrong though.
    BackstabFisherman
    BackstabFisherman
    Regular
    Regular

Post by BackstabFisherman Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 pm

If they act like the got the sniffles, offer them a tissue and a shoulder to cry on.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Step by step for dealing with over-aggressors

1) kite with a bow and poison arrows. Repeat till they either change strategy or are poisoned.

2) acquire a sweeping weapon.

3) lock-off

4) win by dead angle.
    BackstabFisherman
    BackstabFisherman
    Regular
    Regular

Post by BackstabFisherman Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Anyone else get far more hate mail on the PC than on PS3? I've received hate mail in several foreign languages, including Japanese, some languages I didn't even know what the hell they were. I know longer care about the butt sensitivity of the gaming community when they can't even take a loss with stride.

A guy beat me earlier and I actually sent him props, saying nice job. I tried to circle backstab him and he locked off and backstabbed me! lol

Last edited by BackstabFisherman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Purity
    Purity
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Purity Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Seriously! This game is so amazingly fun...

Don't worry about hatemail, it's probably coming from a dark and smelly basement. Blighttownish would probably be the adjective to describe them. People just like to cry whenever they lose
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:24 pm

i don't see how having a "dark and smelly basement" where you play video games of all things would categorize a persons behavior over the internet...

so.. are people who play in brightly lit atics with dozens of air fresheners around considered noble gamers?

stop labeling people when you weren't even there.

and op: kick, counter bs, gc or back peddle.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm

I like the basement-dweller label. IT STAYS!
    Purity
    Purity
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Purity Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:11 am

loool honestly? Is someone offended by that joke? Sorry didn't mean to disrespect anyone who's not a cry baby player and lives in a basement. To be honest, spoilled brats are probably more likely crying over little things that make them lose games on the internet, instead of learning to play.

But my point remains, they're the ones being pathetic.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 am

If I ever need to punish someone I follow up my great scythes 2H R2 with the follow up attack that swings the hot box in a 270 degree arc.... that is normally enough to finish most people.

That or I pull the 2H Shotel R2 which also tracks well.

Otherwise I'll probably pull a counter BS. Nothing like watching an opponent back pedal trying to get away from me.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:22 am

Swing while unlocked predicting where they will be, especially if your weapon dead angles. This will BS cancel if they BS, or just hit them otherwise. If you dead angle, they can't parry it either. The standard trick is just kicking, great combusting is a pretty good option. Some choose WotG, but it really leaves you open for a BS.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:47 am

yeah.. i find wotg is better at punishing things like whiffed attacks and bad rolls. i was going to throw it in there too.. but if they're coming at you like that and aren't locked into some kind of animation..

idk. to risky.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 am

Totally agree with purity. Hornet ring lagstab em all, who cares lol
    kings1990
    kings1990
    Casual
    Casual

Post by kings1990 Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

What i dont understand is how you think this will help. I pvp all the time and people backstab and lagstab me or just turtle or gank or whatever but its a game sure i bow at the begining but thats only coz i cant be bothered to go through my message box full with hatemail coz i dont fight with "honour" no body cares its a game if your gonna cry about loosing then play something else or play offline if not then just learn to lose with grace coz otherwise your gonna get pissed off while everyone else laughs at you for being sad
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:51 am

Knight Alundil wrote:Totally agree with purity. Hornet ring lagstab em all, who cares lol

I don't use the hornet's ring.

Also to the rest, most sweeping moves have too slow of a startup. Also, you're at risk of getting parried if the guy is savvy with them and trying to bait you into one. And you can't use a bow if they're running towards you because they're moving so fast that you won't get a hit off without taking one yourself.

I met another guy who wouldn't quit running at my shoulder, I kicked him in the shield once, but he came back. I GC'ed him in the face and he came back again. GCed him a second time and HE STILL CAME BACK. So I was like 'f**k this' and counter BSed him. After that he complained I was an unskilled noob who could do nothing but BS fish and use cheap tactics.

Some people...
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:53 am

I either parry them as soon as i see their pattern, or i stunlock them when they're coming for me.
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm

It's hard to tell when they'll attack if all they do is run for your shoulder.

There's no prior experience from which to deduce their next attack, because they never did make an attack. Also I have no idea if they are going to go for the lagstab or not, since if they do parrying is useless as my character will just pivot 180 degrees back in mid-parry and get backstabbed. I've tried it before and gave up on it because it kept leading to me getting BS'd.

Also, I'm using a low vit build and I can't afford to take risks so this is especially annoying for me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:58 am