Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Rynn
isthefridge
Forum Pirate
Rin
SlakeMoth
RandelOolacile
Seignar
11 posters

Why you should use a bow!

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Why you should use a bow! Empty Why you should use a bow!

Post by Seignar Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 am

Bows are one of the best tools in the game. They have the longest range in the game, they require low stat investment and are quite versatile in their use. I'm sure most of you know what makes bows great, but for those that don't, allow me to enlighten you.

The Good
    -Like Pyromancy, bows require little in actual stat investment; they can be used by nearly all builds.
    -They have poison arrows that can be used in large quantities, effectively giving long range poisoning to melee builds and caster builds alike.
    - Due to having aiming reticules, the bow can bypass lock-on limitations that hinder Magic, also they allow a player to be more "accurate"
    - Like Pyromancy, a dedicated build is capable of great damage both in PVP and PVE
    - The stats required for using and improving bows are related to the improvement of Magic and Melee alike.
    - They are excellent for handling situations that Melee normally could not deal with.

The Bad
    -Bows require 2 hands, hence they can be slow when trying to react to a situation when under pressure.
    -The elemental upgrade paths do not boost bow damage, hence a bow is only as effective as how well your build is dedicated to using it, however Magic damage still applies.
    - Bows are (obviously) quite horrid in Melee save against 0 poise enemies.
    - Their is no way to have Lightning or Bleed damage on bows.

But, enough of small points. Let's get into detail:

1) A bow has an aiming reticule that is similar to a Binocular, but does not leave you motionless. Even if you can't use a bow due to stat requirements, you can use it as a binocularbut still be able to zoom out, move or dodge roll at a moment's notice.

1A) This has a use in PVP to be able to spectate fights while being a safe distance away.
    1B) In PvE, you can use this to view far off areas, and see enemies more clearly.

2) You can have up to 2 slots of 999 arrows, giving you 1998 uses. Those are 1998 ranged shots that can be deadly under the correct build. You can ultimately use this as a great ranged alternative to Magic, due to the immense stock of arrows.
    3)Shooting with an aiming reticule allows you to hit far off enemies, while being far off aggro range.

3A) This has an incredibly good application. An enemy will only attack you under 2 situations: you get in their aggro range or you hit them. This means an enemy will not engage you if you stay out of range and don't damage them. So, if you see a swarm of enemies, be happy to know you can shoot an arrow at one of them to lure them to your position, allowing you to engage 1 on 1.
    3B) I some areas of the game, you can use this to kill enemies that are normally out of lock-on range and are in particularly hard areas to reach (*Ahem, Firebombers and Ledge Snipers*). This makes the journey to those areas less treacherous.
    3C) This is a stealth application. Their is a sound system in the game where an enemy will react to noise and turn in that direction from which the noise came, hence how it's easier to sneak up on enemies with hush. Shooting an arrow at the ground or walls near an enemy will provoke them to turn to the sound; shooting at a wall or the ground behind them will cause them to turn their backs to you, lowering their aggro range.

4) They come in Poison. This lets you deal heavy poison damage to your enemies; gives you an advantage.

4A) They also come in fire for handling certain enemies, particularly in the depths and New Londo.
    4B) Poison is a nice way to handle big enemies safely.

The Headshot

A neat trick and buff from DS that was given to the bow. A headhsot is simply to place an arrow on the enemies' head, dealing 50% critical damage as well as completely breaking the poise barrier, causing instant stagger. This is a good way to perform your first shot. Note that despite being a critical hit, it is not boosted by Hornet Ring.

Also note that a headshot can stagger enemies that normally could not be staggered.

Special Notes

-Queelag's human body is completely treated as a head. Her stagger is also long enough for you to prepare a second shot with a Short Bow. You can permanently stun lock Queelag with a Short Bow.
    - Yo can "aim" Magic with this. When you turn off your aiming reticule, your camera is still stuck in the direction you were aiming. If you fire a Soul Arrow, it will travel on line with where the reticule is aiming. However, note that not all Magic is precisely on the reticule. The Lightning Spear miracles, for example, come from the left/right hand and so are slightly to the side of the aiming reticule. Despite this, it is an excellent way of "extending" the range of Magic. However, do to the time it takes to prepare, it is often impractical unless you're shooting a motionless target.
    - A hedshot with a Dragonslayer bow cancels knocback damage. Which kind of goes against the purpose of it, but makes for an epic moment when you headshot someone with a spear.

*Most of the information here was gotten from an old Demon Soul's thread that explained some of the tricks of using the bow (Which include luring, lowering aggro-range and spell aiming). Another portion was from information on the wiki (Regarding the Hornet Ring) and some from personal experiences.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Why you should use a bow! Empty Re: Why you should use a bow!

Post by RandelOolacile Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 am

Teach me how to max damage with a bow! happy I've been wanting to make an archer as I played a berserked archer in Demon's Souls, but have yet to come up with anything decent in Dark Souls. silly
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:42 am

@Seignar. As a long time champion of the bow I salute you (with your first +1). Bows are, in my opinion, the most underated weapons in the game. As a stealth player in PvE they are invaluable to me and I've used the diversion trick time and time again. Don't forget the 'Avelyn'. It's great for three shotting enemies at close quarters.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 am

i use a bow on my hunter build together with fog and hawk and as i use the pharis bow its fun to see the gangers running round confused as hell XD
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:17 am

MudoRH wrote:Teach me how to max damage with a bow! happy I've been wanting to make an archer as I played a berserked archer in Demon's Souls, but have yet to come up with anything decent in Dark Souls. silly
    Fog ring, hawk ring (or slumbering dragon ring for pve only), Dragon slayer great bow, composite bow, balance str/dex with sl (ie 30/30 at 80, 40/40 at 100, ect.) Have a backup weapon, dont use a weapon/shield like sanctus that give you an aura in pvp.
    isthefridge
    isthefridge
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by isthefridge Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:30 am

There shouldve been a Llyods Talisman arrow. that would be hilarious when invading.
    I just recently started using a bow on my dex build and have noticed most fights quickly change pace when i pull out the bow. Ive died quite a few times to players using rtsr & bow
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:32 am

i use hawk on 2 builds and no the 2 rings are not only 4 pve only
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 am

No, slumbering dragon ring is for pve, its less than useless as an invader. The hawk ring works for both.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 am

i personally find bows lackluster: they do decent damage: but they fail to really harm anything under most conditions due to invincibility frames.
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:18 am

I just use my dragonslayer bow to knock people off the edge of the cliff in the woods, since they're so gullible as to go and see what that item hanging off the cliff is. It's good for a lul.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm

In PvE, bows are awesome. However, PvE almost anything can work (Broken Sword Hilt would be tough to get through).
    fujiphoenix
    fujiphoenix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fujiphoenix Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Lancelot wrote:I just use my dragonslayer bow to knock people off the edge of the cliff in the woods, since they're so gullible as to go and see what that item hanging off the cliff is. It's good for a lul.
    I just started doing that today haha happy
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 am

Bows are f*ing annoying in PvP. I have countered players who just flip away from you with DWGR and shoot poison arrows for days and there's no way you can catch them without DWGR (with my PvP setup anyways).
    When I meet this kind of players I usually just suicide because I get nothing out of fighting against that kind of tactic.
    I may one day make a bow build that has ridicilous amount of hp + DWGR + Leo and have my sweet revenge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 pm