Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
skarekrow13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
DoughGuy
Heroez Blade
10 posters

The Non-Violent Playthrough Challenge

Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The Non-Violent Playthrough Challenge Empty The Non-Violent Playthrough Challenge

Post by Heroez Blade Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:57 pm

This is a challenge for all of you experienced darksouls players. I thought it would be interesting to see who could make it through the game without killing the basic enemies.

Challenge: You must do a basic run through darksouls while only killing the bosses needed to beat the game.

Rules: You may not kill any basic enemies in any way unless needed to get through areas. You may kill the enemies in Sens Fortress and New Londo Ruins. You are allowed to take any shortcuts that you know of unless it is a glitch to get into the kiln early. You do not have to face any extra bosses if you do not want to. You may summon people for help, but the same rules apply. The only spells/miracles you can use are the ones the heal you or protect you in some way. (Use anything you want while facing bosses)

Tips: It would be a good idea to use a lightweight character with good stamina, health, and poise. Avoid areas with many strong enemies. Rest at bonfires as much as you can for checkpoints.

You know the challenge and the rules so have fun and GOOD LUCK.....

Last edited by Heroez Blade on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

The Non-Violent Playthrough Challenge Empty Re: The Non-Violent Playthrough Challenge

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:09 pm

I would suggest changing the title. Its offensive.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

The Non-Violent Playthrough Challenge Empty Re: The Non-Violent Playthrough Challenge

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 pm

DoughGuy wrote:I would suggest changing the title. Its offensive.

Shrug Eh, it's not offensive. Have we gotten to the point where we can't say anything about anyone?

Maybe the OP should change the title anyway, better to be safe than sorry.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Eh, I dont know if it is, but it obviously has connotations in the implication he thinks mormons act a certain way. Theres just no reason for a religious group to be the title of the challenge. I'd rather us be safe than sorry.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:29 pm

I once attended their pageant at the place where their religion originated (very close to where I live) and their niceness was disorienting. Even had conversations where I revealed I was not Mormon. No attempt to convert me. Just continuing niceness. There were protesters across the road. I won't say the protesters' faith as they hopefully aren't representative of their religion. I'm sure not all mormons are super nice too but it's definitely the stereotype and almost universally true in my experience. Still better to not generalize probably but had to share my fun facts big grin
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Ok lets get things straight.... I did not mean anything by the title, i was simply just using it as a relation to the challenge i am posting. So can someone please comment about the challenge instead of the title. I did not want this post to be an argument about religion.....
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:09 pm

1. Just because you dont mean anything doesnt mean other people wont take offence.
    2. Your challenge encourages glitching and is basically a speedrun.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:28 pm

change it so you can never attack(except with your bare fist), only buff and support summoned help, i'd suggest an int faith hybrid to use the group heal spells and the channelers trident, then call it the rhea playthrough.
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dark Spirit EliteBiker20 Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 pm

DoughGuy wrote:1. Just because you dont mean anything doesnt mean other people wont take offence.
    2. Your challenge encourages glitching and is basically a speedrun.

1.The name, as previously stated, has nothing to do with religion.

2. How does this encourage glitching? He basically said not to kill any enemy except for bosses, unless completely necessary. How is that glitching? And maybe the "speedrun" is part of his chanllenge. Did you ever stop to think about that?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 pm

A religious name has nothing to do with religion? I don't think it's offensive but it does have plenty to do with religion. Second thing is probably a misread by Dough. Reading it quick it might look like he said to use one. He said not to though
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 pm

can someone please just tell me what they think about the challenge instead of the name..... I didnt know posting a challenge to darksouls fans would be this much of a problem......

PS: the name has been changed so please comment on the challenge from now on.. Thank you.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 pm

People, get over the title already! For the record: I think the title would have been funny if it'd had Mormon in it! (I only saw it after the edit.) And judging by Skare's post, I don't think they'd have taken offense... Damn, now I joined in the name debate.

On topic: I've pretty much already done this in my speed run. I don't remember any mob I specifically kill (well... I do kill pretty much every NPC!), just need to hit a few of them to move them out of the way, so you can run by. Like in Sen's, don't need to kill anyone there. The only mob you need to hit is a manserpent-mage, blocking the last set of stairs before the last set of guillotines. Other than that, you can run by everything.

Wait... just remembered 1 mob I do kill! There's a ghost in New Londo (first indoor room) blocking your path, I usually just do a running-R1 on him and it kills him. You could probably get by just punching him a few times to move him. Other than that, I can't think of anyone who needs to be killed (but my memory seems to be spotty today).
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Possible and other than a few specific areas in the game I don't see there ever being a reason to kill basic enemies to progress. As already stated this is essentially what a speed run really is. I would suggest the ability to kick an enemy out of the way since there are times where they literally block your path.

I've sort of done this in many areas in my playthroughs. I can get through all of New Londo without killing ghosts or darkwraiths. Catacombs/ToG is totally possible and how I always do it anyways. Sen's you don't actually have to kill anything, it just makes it easier. Anor Londo Archer's would be difficult, but with a good shield you can make him fall off on his own. Duke's is totally possible as is Demon Ruins/Bed of Chaos. I honestly can't think of many areas where you HAVE to kill something, and the times when things are in your way there is always a workaround.

All in all possible, but boring. If you watch some of my naked playthrough you'll see me go through 80% of the game without killing anything. However it's extremely boring to watch as would it be to actually do it from my own experience.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 pm

BLA1NE wrote:People, get over the title already! For the record: I think the title would have been funny if it'd had Mormon in it! (I only saw it after the edit.) And judging by Skare's post, I don't think they'd have taken offense... Damn, now I joined in the name debate.

On topic: I've pretty much already done this in my speed run. I don't remember any mob I specifically kill (well... I do kill pretty much every NPC!), just need to hit a few of them to move them out of the way, so you can run by. Like in Sen's, don't need to kill anyone there. The only mob you need to hit is a manserpent-mage, blocking the last set of stairs before the last set of guillotines. Other than that, you can run by everything.

Wait... just remembered 1 mob I do kill! There's a ghost in New Londo (first indoor room) blocking your path, I usually just do a running-R1 on him and it kills him. You could probably get by just punching him a few times to move him. Other than that, I can't think of anyone who needs to be killed (but my memory seems to be spotty today).

I hang out in that room by the window for a few seconds, then head past the ghost after he moves from the doorway. This also makes the ghost below you move out of your way when you go down the stairs as he aggros when you're in the room above.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 pm

^That's an option. I prefer the running-R1 because it's faster! But for a Morm--pacifist playthrough, that's a good suggestion.

I forgot about the Silver Knight Archer, though. Other mobs you can kick and move with attacks, but this guy won't budge. You either have to kill him, or make him fall to his death...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Crap, sorry. I did mean to comment on the idea too. I think it would add a lot of challenge and be a viable "check my skills dawg" playthrough but would indeed have limited appeal. From a viewing standpoint I would think to myself "I'm watching a guy run. Running in places I've been to." Probably not for me but you'd deserve credit
    Mr_Manuva

Post by Mr_Manuva Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I didn't know some people actually cared about mormons.

On the challenge, well, I've never been a fan of speedruns (i use the word speedrun since not trying to kill the ennemies should reduce dramatically the time spent on the game). I mean, on one side there are dozens of weapons, armors, offensive spells, on the other side there's a **** of ennemies. Massive destruction makes perfect sense. It's like having pasta and bolognese and not mixing it.

Let's say you make a non violent speedrun. Would you use a built up character or a new one ?
    If you use a built up, there's just no fun about it, coz you should technically be far superiorand stronger than 90% of the ennemies. The infinite ability to heal (through estus and spells that can be restored with bonfires) makes it even less interesting. It's not like a resident evil speedrun in hard mode where you have a very limited amount of herbs, therefore each ennemy you'd be trying to dodge instead of kill would be a real threat to your speedrun.

If you use a new character, then you wont be able to level up and you'll eventually be stuck somewhere.

However if you wish to pay respects to Gandhi (and insult mormons), it's a great idea. Can't see the fun side of it though.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Can u run past enemies and then quit the game , restart so that they are no longer chasing u? I do that with the ghosts in NLR all the time. I run past all of them, quit and restart.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 pm

^Sometimes I do that just because the framerate gets so bad if you let them all chase you!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am