Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Alara78
zzombieboy
6 posters

Dealing with HIGH LEVEL forest Gankers.

zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dealing with HIGH LEVEL forest Gankers. Empty Dealing with HIGH LEVEL forest Gankers.

Post by zzombieboy Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi all,

I know there is already a huge thread full of great general tips for Forest Hunters (so mods please delete if inappropriate), and these are great for dealing with the average ganker, but I wanted to start a thread specifically for the situation you will inevitably find yourself in as a Forest Hunter where you are a dramatically outlevelled by some goon and his buddy(s) who can heal faster than you can damage (even with ripostes or your best offensives) and who actually have some level of skill.

In this situation I find that the following usual non-cheap strategies for dealing with gankers don't apply;

1 - Leading the host and his jolly buddies into npc mobs doesn't work. At high levels said gankers will be powerful enough that the local fauna and flora will be little more than an irritation, and speaking from experience your foes will ignore them until you are dead. The following being rather useless exceptions; 1) The Mushroom Parents, but their attacks are far too slow and are therefore unlikely to hit your opponents. 2) The Bear Cats, however (assuming they are still alive as they don’t re-spawn) an insignificant % of people are going to be stupid enough to follow you into their territory. Though it is hilarious when they do silly

2 - AoE pyromancies are not effective in this type of 2/3v1 situation UNLESS you can cast them by surprise. The charge up time is slow enough that one of the multiple wolves circling your soon-to-be-carcass will have plenty of time to take a bite, or will simply avoid them. Attempting to use the fire storm or cloud spells in this type direct confrontation will often get you killed. The only time I would recommend using this would be to stall after someone has cast TWoP. (Incidentally I find that the best place for a surprise Chaos Storm etc is at the very top of the steps behind Alvina if you're lucky enough to spawn in front her. The gankers will usually assume you've gone for the cats or mushroom men and chase you down (make sure they have seen you running away), so just stand behind the wall at the top of the steps (making sure your sword isn't poking out) and wait until the host wont have enough time to back-up when he realises whats happening. Having at least 31 poise is helpful for this in case they start taking panicked swings at you).

3 - Separating the group to get the host alone has an undesired effect. I find that one of 2 things usually happen. Either the host's little puppy who is oh so eager to show his new master how oh-so-good at ganking he is will be the one to catch up to you first. This I suppose is fine IF you are able to deal with him quickly enough (which with his host chugging estus like it's going out of fashion is unlikely), but you are aiming to eliminate the host with this tactic. Or they simply will not follow you, which then leads to an extremely boring waiting game/hoping for another decent blue phantom to appear.

4 - Lastly (and I suppose in general for gankers, not just the high level ones) Lloyds Talismans are good for stopping flask happy moronic gankers, but the pure-bred pedigree ganker who has also likely glitched 99 Humanity and 99 Diving Blessings will not be phased by this as the talismans do not prevent healing with either.

So to the point, I suppose what I'm trying to do is start a thread/beg in an undignified manner for strategies to deal with these situations that don't require you drop to their level of lameness. By that I mean not spamming WoTG or TWoP yourself, because as much as I hate gankers, I'd rather just mess around with them and get killed by them than cheapen myself (without meaning to cause offence to those who legitimately use WoTG). I'll start with a couple which I've been having some success with in this situation recently.

1 - Vow Of Silence. Perhaps slightly cheap, but not really silly A lot of gankers won't even know what this is, as I very very rarely see this used in PvP or coop. Granted this is only effective against magic using gankers, but the 'wtf' animation after they try to use a spell/miracle/pyro will give you enough time to inflict some heavy damage if you can rush them before the phantom backstabs you. I don't consider this cheap like TWoP because it's using the ganker's lack of knowledge against them.

2 - The Red Tearstone Ring. This might seem like an obivous one, but I often find it's usefulness underrated. Gankers tend to get careless when you are almost dead and will RB/R1 spam to press for a quick victory. They won't be expecting the massive 50% extra damage your parry will be doing. I usually combine this with a quick weapon switch to a weapon in my second slot that they have haven't seen yet for the added surprise. If you chose the hidden weapon approach take the highest damage weapon you can use and carry with your equip burden level. It doesn't matter if its slow as hell, because you only be using it for a parry in that situation. A Chaos Garygole's Halberd +5 is a good choice as it doesn't require much str investment if you're a non str build. For str builds, take your pick! Most of the mid to upper tier str weapons will massively outclass critcial hit weapons. The Demon Great Machete/ Greataxe is always a good choice if you are high level enough the wield/carry it.

3 - Two-handed Risposte. I NEVER see people doing this, but it is just as easy as switching to a second weapon to parry, with a little practice. The timing of it can hard, because unless your real confident at parrying, you sometimes have to assume you're parry has worked and tap Y/Triangle to 2-hand before you see the animation in order to have time to do this and re-position yourself to successfully riposte before they roll away. Not always worth the risk of missing your chance to riposte, but when the odds are really against it I say fortune favours the bold!

That's all I have really for now, so hopefully this will help someone at least with what not to do, and maybe others have some good ideas as well, Oh, and yeah I'm new to the forum so hi all! silly And apologies for the shameless use of caps lock in the title...
    Alara78
    Alara78
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dealing with HIGH LEVEL forest Gankers. Empty Re: Dealing with HIGH LEVEL forest Gankers.

Post by Alara78 Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm

I like it happy

Nicely written as well.

I'll try to come up with some tips of my own soon.
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dealing with HIGH LEVEL forest Gankers. Empty Re: Dealing with HIGH LEVEL forest Gankers.

Post by zzombieboy Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks happy

I really don't see why people who are reasonable at PvP and are above Level 130 feel the need to summon a phantom to deal with lower level invaders. It's the worst kind of trolling imho! Hopefully we can find ways of dealing with them without cheapness!
    CaptanSpudsy
    CaptanSpudsy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CaptanSpudsy Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:33 pm

My tactic: Lead them towards narrow bridge near the bear cats, then go down the ladder and wait. If they are dumb (which they usually are) they'll slide down the ladder where a good kick or WotG will knock them off the ledge.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Don't forget Power Within. I wouldn't use it a the start of every fight, but if you're going to be taking on gankers alone, it's a great choice. +40% damage to all forms of damage is crazy, especially if you can get a bs or parry off.

It does make the gankers more aggressive when they see your health going down, but that can work in your favor. My Cursed GS kills most builds in three hits, and anyone in four with Power within on.

I also carry Acid Surge, if there ever comes a rare occasion in which I can break a ganker's equipment. it's really hard to time though, and honestly, I've never gotten it to work.

I'll also recap some common armor among gankers and your ability to stunlock them

Full BK cosplay: 1 hit stun with GS and UGS 2h. In other words, Christmas come early.

Full Paladin: Same as BK.

Full Giants or Giants without the helm: You can't stunlock them in one hit with any R1, some of the super heavy R2's will affect them but they're not generally useful.

Full Havels: Same as giants, but technically you shouldn't even be able to stunlock them with 2 Greatsword 2h r1's. But i've done it on numerous occasions, both with the GLGS and the Curse GSoA. I know the GLGS has a higher poisebreak value than standard GS, it might be the same with the Curse GS. i wouldn't count on it with a claymore.
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:23 pm

CaptanSpudsy wrote:My tactic: Lead them towards narrow bridge near the bear cats, then go down the ladder and wait. If they are dumb (which they usually are) they'll slide down the ladder where a good kick or WotG will knock them off the ledge.

I try this as well, but as most of my builds don't use miracles so I don't have access to WoTG, and Force or kicking won't work on someone with high poise/blocking with greatshield. Good tactic for a faith build though, if they follow you.

Ghadis_God

Thanks for the poise info, that will come in useful happy I might caution going for a dps race with someone twice your level though, particularly as they'll be able to stun-lock you more easily if you're wearing lower level or lower poise gear, and particularly if there's 2 of them.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Wasn't there a glitch where you could kill the ganker in one hit? I have no idea if that guy was just kidding or not. Somebody else said it worked but they're probably just messing with my head...
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:20 pm

you have two main options
    a) use an elemental rapier + hornet ring and go for bs/parry
    b) use an elemental murakumo + wolf ring (100+ poise) and go for stunlock

option (a) bs is the easiest method though option (b) done correctly will destroy (a)
    using option (b) all you have to remember is that as you take your swing chances are their going for your back so lock-off and flip 180 degrees mid-swing to catch them
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:07 pm

omega Elf wrote:you have two main options
    a) use an elemental rapier + hornet ring and go for bs/parry
    b) use an elemental murakumo + wolf ring (100+ poise) and go for stunlock

option (a) bs is the easiest method though option (b) done correctly will destroy (a)
    using option (b) all you have to remember is that as you take your swing chances are their going for your back so lock-off and flip 180 degrees mid-swing to catch them

I would consider option (a) being cheap, and as I said the high levelled gankers wont be OhKO'd by this and will just heal every time you do it, unless of course you chain-stab them, which really is cheap. A hornet back stab with an elemental rapier will only be taking around 1400 damage and perhaps 1600 with a riposte (against a high level player), which just isn't enough if you're putting all your build (weapon + ring slots) into OhKO'ing.

Perhaps it's just ridiculous to even assume that there would be effective strategies for this that aren't cheap lol silly

Edit: You could also achieve higher damage with a riposte/backstab by using the top tier strength weapons or an elemental Murakamo, and this would leave you with better options aside from critical hits (because rapiers are generally useless for anything else).
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:31 pm

no an elemental rapier does more damage than a murakumo or the like, anyway just go with option (b) that i mentioned

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=4828934274069809
    try this setup, , if you can get to anor londo get the full havels set behind the fake
    fireplace it gives you 121 poise freeing up a ring slot for the red
    tearstone, i added a couple of good shields because you wont be running anywhere fast but it doesn't matter just let them come to you, if you lock them and power within and red tearstone are activated you'll completely decimate them both whatever level they are

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 am