Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
BackwardsBaboon
roomsixteen
Azran
DamageCK
Reaperfan
Extertionist
robsthedon
Federally
Darkson
Oniramkenobi
Forum Pirate
dianaduh
billy_bayonet
RandelOolacile
Zetsabre
Alara78
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
mickyplankton
22 posters

Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?

Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?

Post by Federally Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 am

I liked 4. I'm worried about this no Dante business though. I'm kind of tired of them not just giving us Dante
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:38 am

No Fed, I just don't post as often in threads where I agree with or understand the sentiment because what I would have said has often already been said.

I'm iffy on the new DMC. 4 was ok. 3>1>2>4 imo. Sorry nero but you're not Dante so I don't care. The combat in 4 is better than 2s is though, without a doubt.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:02 pm

I think since so many people were psyched on 3 and generally unimpressed by 4, they'll give us what we want. They better...
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 pm

I love how they build an entire franchise on the premise of "Kickass demon slayer kicking ***" and then just relegate that same demon slayer to secondary character. silly

Anyway, now on topic:

I love the Souls series; but they got their share of irritating things. Even then, they are masterpieces in my opinion.
    roomsixteen
    roomsixteen

Post by roomsixteen Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Nope. I've ever really played these new fangled vidja games. But when I was a kid I played the s--- out of some Super Mario and Super Metroid (I still have my SNES and hooked it up to my 40" led tv to play Super Metroid big grin) When Nintendo 64 came out, I could play Super Mario 64, but my spacial skills sucked and I could never figure out how to turn the camera at the right time. So, I lost interest once the 3d games started coming out.

So anyway, one night I wasn't doing anything and decided to take a few tokes with my boyfriend while he was playing DkS. After that I couldn't comprehend Lordran and I kept asking him why people were there and what their function was. He didn't know and didn't really care about that aspect, but I was on a MISSION to figure out what the hell was going on. I still couldn't play very well, but I got the hang of it, and then I couldn't get enough of it. I think I've finished the game three or four times, and I'll play NG+ until about Sen's Fortress and then I get bored with my current character and make a new one. I can't tell you how many new builds I've made. I have a strength/faith build now, but of course I want to start anew and make someone better. I'm really into the elemental weapons too (I've been using a divine claymore with my build, but at fth 36 I'm still seeing less damage than a lightening weapon) And now I'm rambling.

tl;dr - I'm a nintendo fangirl, and I get bored with current builds.
    BackwardsBaboon
    BackwardsBaboon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BackwardsBaboon Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:29 pm

I guess I'm one of those people who can go absolute apeshit over something, then lose interest completely after a relatively short period of time. That being said: Yes, I have been obsessed with a great many games over the years. Some examples would be Morrowind, Fallout 3, Halo, Mortal Kombat ('11), Fifa (and yes I'm American lol), Dead Space, Bioshock...many of these games sucked hours out of my life, so when Dark Souls came along I figured "here's another one I better enjoy the hell out of it before I lose interest!" But here's the thing... It's never lasted this long. Knowing what I know about myself, I should have moved on hundreds of hours ago, but instead, over 1000 hours in and still playing the hell out of this game! Only game this Gen which hasn't made me second guess the decision to pre-order. Hell, I've bought the game TWICE now!
    Rollo-9
    Rollo-9

Post by Rollo-9 Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Agree with you, My biggest gaming obsession since Demon Souls happy
    There's something unique about the series and Myazaki's vision in general. I read someone compare him to the Kubrik of game designers, and I agree. Theres heavy emphasis on atmosphere, surreal dialog, environment etc. Not everything is spelled out for you, mystery is a huge part of it as well. It makes itself hard to understand a difficult world to get immersed in, but once you do your hooked.
    It's also a revolutionary game in really subtle ways, it will influence alot games to come im sure.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:06 pm

My relationship with this game is quite funny; I can't stand some parts of the game (Izalith, ToG, Blighttown, New Londo) but I still play the hell out of it.

I don't think it can qualify as obsession; I'm not attracted to the lore either, I just love the character progression system.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 pm

I havent put 2000+hrs into many games. I have put 200 or more into a lot of games. Only other franchise ive put the amount of hrs into as i have the souls games is Metal Gear Solid. Ive easily put 1500+ hrs into the metal gear games, and thats saying something cause they dont have multiplayer to add lasting appeal like souls. I probably would have put more into MGS if i had gotten a ps3 sooner(only got mine about a year ago now). Thats one thing im really pissed i missed out on, MGO. I sooooo wish that the mgs hd collection included the original MGO from mgs3. That w/o all the lag from the ps2 version would be amazing.
    Gunny1963
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Gunny1963 Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:17 pm

For me Fallout was a huge obsession. I played until my left wrist was so sore I couldn't do pushups any more!!!!! I had to stop playing for 3 months just to get the use of my wrist back. That is an obsession.

Skyrim caught my fancy for quite a while too and now that Dawnguard the new DLC is out I'll be back at it but first, DARK SOULS!!!!!!! big grin
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:09 am

The mark of a great game in my opinion is whether or not it pops into your head when your not playing it. Like say, when you're in the bath or the supermarket and you find yourself working out strategies or the next place to go.

Many games have affected me this way, chief among them, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Demon Souls, Dark Souls and they all have one thing in common, they're RPG's where thinking your way round an obstacle is integral to your success in the game.

Dark Souls is different though because I'm trying, for the first time ever, to get all the trophies in a game and, to be honest, I think this is not a blessing but a curse, because this aspect has taken over and seriously impaired my enjoyment of the game. So much so that I've stopped playing it and what is worse I CAN'T GO BACK because I'm afraid of failure. Everyday I psyche myself up to give it another go and everyday I switch on the XBox to play Skyrim instead. The difference between The Elder Scrolls games and Dark Souls, apart from the obvious, is that if you hit a brick wall in Skyrim, you can potter off and do something else and come back later when you're stronger. This keeps Skyrim interesting because there's always something new to find. Dark Souls doesn't give you this option really. Sure you can go through an area you've already beaten and farm souls or humanity for a while but this gets boring and it's for this reason that, currently, I'm enjoying Skyrim more at the moment.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:57 am

SlakeMoth wrote:Dark Souls doesn't give you this option really. Sure you can go through an area you've already beaten and farm souls or humanity for a while but this gets boring and it's for this reason that, currently, I'm enjoying Skyrim more at the moment.

I agree. I've found myself enjoying Demon's Souls more than Dark Souls simply because I actually like the idea of replaying all those worlds, which is something I can't say about Dark Souls endgame.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:50 am

That's where PvP comes in. BAM. **** is ballin' again.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

Only if you can get by with lousy internet and tons of face-stabs. silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:59 pm