Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
skarekrow13
Buggy Virus
dancash1808
befowler
WyrmHero
RANT
bloodpixel
Forum Pirate
Wade_Wilson
OakshottXII
14 posters

No love for the humble longsword?

OakshottXII
    OakshottXII

No love for the humble longsword? Empty No love for the humble longsword?

Post by OakshottXII Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:24 pm

i seem to be doing well with the longsword in PVP. in an honest fight (with no lag stabbing) i can win against greatswords. does anyone else use straight swords and win in an honourable fight?
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

No love for the humble longsword? Empty Re: No love for the humble longsword?

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm

I love the Longswords for PvE, but in PvP I have a hard time against those who stack poise. Though the darksword is surprisingly good: I think it requires much more poise to tank through than the other straight swords.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 pm

None, the balder side sword has the same move set, the same damage for a lesser stat investment, and its longer.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Balda Swag Sword is better.
    Or a Ricard's. I love that thing.

Last edited by bloodpixel on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    OakshottXII
    OakshottXII

Post by OakshottXII Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:I love the Longswords for PvE, but in PvP I have a hard time against those who stack poise. Though the darksword is surprisingly good: I think it requires much more poise to tank through than the other straight swords.

straight swords do 30 poise damage the balder side sword does less but im not sure how much the silver straight sword does 36 poise damage and i imagine the darksword is similar, however the trick is to get an attack in and get away and the way i do this is while their approaching with 2handed greatsword i use the longsword's 2h stong attack to move in and attack and while they attack i roll to the right and use another 2h stong attack as the side roll at close range puts you just about outside greatsword range but you can punish them with the greater range of the longsword 2h stong attack. i could say more about the in's and out's of the longsword vs greatsword but i'll stop.
    OakshottXII
    OakshottXII

Post by OakshottXII Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:None, the balder side sword has the same move set, the same damage for a lesser stat investment, and its longer.

the balder side sword is indeed longer and uses more stamina for its thrust attacks both 1h and 2h but the 2h strong attack does very good damage compareable to a greatsword with much more range and as thrust weapon it is easier to do counter damage but once again uses a lot of stamina with low stun and the initial 2h strong strike is slow
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:12 pm

i love my occult longsword, it looks awesome and has a good moveset, its hard to win with it since its so weak(occult), honrable mentions goes to the barbed sword, if it was as long as the longsword i would use it a lot more.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Slow, short and low damage make straight swords alongside the little hammers the worst for PvP. I have tried using a Occult Darksword and I had to redo the build because it was so slow... Maybe I just need more practice with them...
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:21 pm

I prefer the balder side sword which is glorious in PvP, but I think they do have a slightly different moveset. Namely the second chain R2 on a longsword is a disembowel move that flows right from the initial R2 thrust (the shortsword is the same, but broadsword is different). If you chain two together you don't have recovery time between the two and I'm not sure the second one can be parried.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Darksword is perfectly usable in PvP (Only weapon I allowed myself during the event ! silly ) and I have about an equal success rate with a silver knight that I do with a greatsword. they are quick enough to exploit nearly all openings they have a few dead angling attacks and the damage is tolerable
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Why not just used the barbed straight sword then?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:20 pm

I tried to love the longsword but needed several stitches after the first hug (it was a platonic relationship).

In PvE swords were my focus and I did rather well with them. I didn't like the movesets for PvP and my style didn't adapt accordingly.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Buggy? were you speaking to me?
    It was an event thing seemed silly to go all dark and then a different weapon silly
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm

My longsword and sunlight straight sword +14 does 300 damage with 30 STr and 30 Dex. But thats not the best thing about straight swords:

-Most people don't know their moveset, and find it to be very dificult to parry

-Two handed, it can easily stunlock

-The rolling attack two handed is one of the fastest attacks on the game, and has a good range

http://tinyurl.com/8x8nxgn

http://tinyurl.com/8443dew
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Too many people don't like using 40/40 builds, so nobody really appreciates the Straight Swords other than the BSS, since that can go into a DEX build...
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:38 pm

I have a character that is aiming to use a Dark Sword. i don't use the long sword; I use the broadsword. Broadsword beats a longsword any day.

By the way... Welcome to the forum, I am glad you follow a covenant as you do, you have good taste. Welcome, comrade... unless you mistake it for warriors of sunlight covenant avatar, because that happened twice before.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 pm

They're very similar to katanas but with less damage and no bleed. There's not a real benefit to using a longsword over a katana, and I even think katanas have longer range.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 pm

The scaling and how the swords have thrusts. Katanas are slashing, while straight swords has slash and thrust (for most. There are a few exceptions for some weapons). Katanas aim only for dexterity mostly, while for straight swords it is mostly a balance. Again, different for some specific weapons.

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:They're very similar to katanas but with less damage and no bleed. There's not a real benefit to using a longsword over a katana, and I even think katanas have longer range.

Nope, not less damage. In fact, maybe more damage if balanced correctly. But yes, no bleed. I'm glad I never found bleed to be so crucial on a build anyway.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Indeed. It is too quick. Rather, poison would be better to make the enemies suffer. bleed? Too quick. Besides, it doesn't work unless the bar gets full, and since everyone rises endurance over 40 these days, and heavy armour is anti-bleed usually, katana's bleed property is hindered to be risked only by the clumsy and inexperienced.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Spam into a greatshield block with an SLB greatsword and watch them panic as they realise its a flamberge twisted
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:40 pm

To be honest, I find that people that resort to shields are killed faster by other weapons, unless they have a lightning rapier... The barb great sword has bleed, too.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Ah, but I love my flamberge for its 4 hit kills! silly 700 damage a hit = godly.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 pm

DGH says over 1100 at times, and sometimes even past 1200 damage per hit.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:47 pm

You show me a buffed DGH and I will sit just outside of range and wait for an opening there is no way I will play agressive against a great hammer. I have learnt how much they turn through 180.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 am