Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
LD_Soze
Razielthemanslayer
fan-of-solaire
Majikero07
Zechk
TheBigLebowski
BoilerFan8472
Turin
BartholomewWenceslas
JoeBroski09
Wilkinson3424
dancash1808
Doelker
Blazalin
TheSorrowedMan
RNsunbro
Forum Pirate
User
LordRevan
dreamforger
24 posters

How Dark Souls has ruined my gaming life

Razielthemanslayer
    Addicted
    Addicted

How Dark Souls has ruined my gaming life - Page 2 Empty Re: How Dark Souls has ruined my gaming life

Post by Razielthemanslayer Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 am

Happened to me a while back, After beating Gwyn I started playing Ocarina of time in my 3DS, man I couldn't believe it was sooooo easy.... that is until I got to the water temple >.<. As much as I would consider dark souls my fav game, I just can let go of my jewels. You may feel ackward but gaming jewels are gaming jewels no matter how easy they become to you :3
    LD_Soze

How Dark Souls has ruined my gaming life - Page 2 Empty Re: How Dark Souls has ruined my gaming life

Post by LD_Soze Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:26 pm

OK here is my take - I'm a middle aged guy and my first RPG / Action was the original Legend of Zelda on NES. The send was Zelda A Link To The Past. Though I have played all the Zelda franchise nothing compared to those two games. Until Dark Souls.

Everything is perfect in this game - the enemies, the space, the combat and the challenge. For me it is Zelda 2012. You get dumped in a world with little direction and have to figure out what to do and how to do it. I don't care how many times it takes to learn to kill a boss I know I will figure it out. The atmosphere and combat keeps it interesting enough to keep going back and trying.

Also - none of my gamer friends will play it because it is "too hard". So of course I feel superior to them...lol
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah I'm pretty hooked on DkS, its kind of sad how its taken over my life. Batman Arkham City is just sitting there with 3 hours played and I haven't touched it in so long I forget the controls. My wife was nice enough to surprise me with Max Payne 3 and its a good game but every time I play it I'm just thinking about Dark Souls! The last time I went to play Max Payne I wound up creating my new Leonard Axehands build in DkS instead, and killing Taurus Demon wearing nothing but Knight Leggings while wielding only 2 not upgraded Hand Axes was exhilarating.

I believe the reason Dark Souls grabs you so much is because of all the passion that went in to making it. Many games are good in a mechanical sense, they look good, function well and have interesting game play. However the best games, like most art, have an intangible something that results from the passion of the creator. FROM just cared so much about their game and it comes through to the player and just adds something.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 pm

That's the weird thing for me - I've played many games and had jaw-dropping moments, or times when I'd have my breath taken away by exploring somewhere (I go back to Elder Scrolls here - many, many wonderful memories), and yet Dark Souls has something in it's core that surpasses these moments.

Spoiler:

To me, it's not necessarily the big things like the bosses, as great as they are, but the small details that set DS apart from anything else.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:30 pm

i think the game is so lovable and addicting because, it has a unique play style in pvp. with covenants. i also think that it takes skill to play this game which makes it even more fun. every game should be more like darksouls.
    johnnyjwa
    johnnyjwa
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by johnnyjwa Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 pm

I hear you! Even after so many playthroughs and rarely dieing anymore I still get surprised. Stupidity will kill you every time! I was pvping in the kiln and an invader killed me. As i was walking back down the stairs to recover my bloodstain i looked over at my computer because i usually have a youtube video or something on to watch while i wait for invasions. I failed to keep running in a straight like and walked right off the edge. I lost 89 humanity and about 2 million souls. I screamed so loud im surprised my neighbors dident come to check on me.
    Viexnia
    Viexnia
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Viexnia Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 am

Oh Dark Souls.. I love you so much, no matter how much you abuse me.

I spend every waking moment playing DkS, and if I am not?
    I'm usually here happy reading, replying and so on.

Nothing compares to Dark Souls once it has sucked you in, and for those
    who have never felt this way. . I envy you silly

I would have more than 180+ hours on my best character 'rl' just had to butt in ha ha!
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 am

Dark Souls makes other rpgs seem boring in how easy and mind numbing they are. I still occasionally play games of other genres but recently my disk tray has not opened even once. My summer is going to be consumed by Dark Souls...
    Viexnia
    Viexnia
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Viexnia Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 am

SunlightCrusader wrote:Dark Souls makes other rpgs seem boring in how easy and mind numbing they are. I still occasionally play games of other genres but recently my disk tray has not opened even once. My summer is going to be consumed by Dark Souls...

Do you regret it? silly
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:22 am

Not at all, not at all. Totally worth it. big grin
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:41 am

... And so through the power of the game disks the first of the undead began to hollow....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 pm