Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
GkMrBane
BLA1NE
Kirk-Barb
JoeBroski09
DarkW17
FruitPunchNinja
Forum Pirate
Federally
DamageCK
WyrmHero
chaosrave
15 posters

invasions vs duels

BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

invasions vs duels - Page 2 Empty Re: invasions vs duels

Post by BLA1NE Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:40 pm

That's off topic. I will not encourage this behavior!
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:35 am

TehInfamousAmos wrote:Oh - I just put this on topic :x

So, Forum Hunk, how did you enjoy your title for a few hours?
    Peoples thoughts upon Minsc and Boo, hit me with them!

Minsc and Boo are seriously creepy.
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:13 pm

chaosrave wrote:I feel like we are losing the sight of invasions... when i first got the game it was all about win no matter what against invaders and as invaders do anything to win... this brought upon alot of crazy moments and longer fights as well as some unpredictable and funny moments... my first that i can think of was getting invaded in sens fortress and while I was hiding in the corner the invader stands near a ledge and i run over and kick him off... now adays we are expected to treat all invasions like "duels"... no healing, no running, no funny tactics... I feel like if you wanted to duel then join the dragon covanent or something... also this does not apply to forest gankers or anor londo gankers... they are just asses lol... what do you guys think? should all invasions be about honorable duels

To the extent that people take their word as "gospel," the honor brigade has placed this standard on people and labeled them "dishonorable" if they do not play according to a set of rules that were set by a small group of people. The fact is this is not a "formal" fighting game. You want formality? then go play tekken or street fighter. Dueling is arranged. Invasions is the survival of the fittest.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:22 pm

martyrsbrigade99 wrote:
    chaosrave wrote:I feel like we are losing the sight of invasions... when i first got the game it was all about win no matter what against invaders and as invaders do anything to win... this brought upon alot of crazy moments and longer fights as well as some unpredictable and funny moments... my first that i can think of was getting invaded in sens fortress and while I was hiding in the corner the invader stands near a ledge and i run over and kick him off... now adays we are expected to treat all invasions like "duels"... no healing, no running, no funny tactics... I feel like if you wanted to duel then join the dragon covanent or something... also this does not apply to forest gankers or anor londo gankers... they are just asses lol... what do you guys think? should all invasions be about honorable duels

To the extent that people take their word as "gospel," the honor brigade has placed this standard on people and labeled them "dishonorable" if they do not play according to a set of rules that were set by a small group of people. The fact is this is not a "formal" fighting game. You want formality? then go play tekken or street fighter. Dueling is arranged. Invasions is the survival of the fittest.

I concur, I only expect people to follow rules if we've agreed to them beforehand.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Well there are certain places that the community has arranged as meeting places for duels, such as the Burg, the Kiln, and even the Forest (the Kiln and Forest is infected with gankers). If I want some invasion thrill action I wouldn't be a troll and invade those places where people are expecting to duel others. It's actually nice to have those places for dueling action, something the developer wasn't aware of until now, with the release of matchmaking dueling arenas in the DLC.
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 pm

WyrmHero wrote:Well there are certain places that the community has arranged as meeting places for duels, such as the Burg, the Kiln, and even the Forest (the Kiln and Forest is infected with gankers). If I want some invasion thrill action I wouldn't be a troll and invade those places where people are expecting to duel others. It's actually nice to have those places for dueling action, something the developer wasn't aware of until now, with the release of matchmaking dueling arenas in the DLC.

Please define exactly, what "the community" is? Is "the community" all of the people who purchased Dark Souls, which, according so some reports are over 1.5 million and includes international players? Is it the "leadership" of the "wikispaces" forums? Or, is it the people/members who frequent "this" particular forum? The fact is, your arrangement is only legitimate insofar as no one plays outside of your set parameters. But because many players do not limit their gameplay to these standards, it cannot be a legitimate arrangement. At best, these places are locations where a set number of people have agreed to play within a certain set of preset guidelines.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Um this Wiki had nothing to do with what the Burg is st SL120 right now on Ps3. If you go there you just get constant invasions from folks who want to duel. There aren't any rules or anything but everyone just faces off bows and fights. How the community got to this point is hard to say but nothing you say can change the fact that this has happened. So if you decide to PvP in the Burg at 120 you should participate in the format, obviously you don't have to.

Also 99% of the players there in the Burg adhere to these guidelines, the ones who don't want to adhere to them are decent enough to just go somewhere else.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:26 pm

+1 Fed. Couldn't have explain it better.
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Federally wrote:

Also 99% of the players there in the Burg adhere to these guidelines, the ones who don't want to adhere to them are decent enough to just go somewhere else.

May I ask where this statistic is from?
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 pm

personal experience id imagine
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 pm

He did a census, obviously. Welcome to the forum by the way.
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Ah okay, I thought that was an actual statistic.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:38 pm

47.9% of statistics are made up on the spot.

This thread is about Invasions vs Duels. Personally, I think duels are better because they are THE FASTEST way to improve your skills. Starting to PvP? Start dueling. Invasions are just all out wars that encourage tactics that are easier to use and give fast, easy kills. But, in duels, trying said tactics will only get you punished, forcing you to work on your own play style and skills, rather than work on your build.

Invasions are fun, and the excitement of getting invaded at the beginning of the game was awesome, but, compared to the PvE of first seeing every boss was simply better. Being invaded wasn't that great for that long. But seeing every boss for the first time simply was.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:26 pm

ParasiticEve wrote:
    Federally wrote:

May I ask where this statistic is from?

From many hours spent hosting/invading PvP in the Burg on my 120. The host always stands on the roof down the stairs from the bonfire, phantom spawns, goes down to the roof, both bow then fight starts. It was always the same whether I hosted, invaded, summoned through Rss/Dragon, even Gravelording. Even if I was clearing mobs as the host I never had a phantom mess with me, they just waited. Only on 2 occasions I had a phantom do something different, one time we instead dueled in the room by the merchant and the other took off thinking I was gonna chase him.

So since I lost count of the total fights I had there the number isn't entirely scientific, though having only 2 variations 99% is a safe estimate.

Now mind you I'm not saying they all adhered to any rules once the duel started. It was generally no holds barred, though typically no one healed and I don't remember anyone running off after the fight started.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Also +1 to Fed.

The Burg is the spot for no heal 1v1s. The term "honorable" is applied out of popularity more than pertinence. It's a term a group of people applied to a playstyle that didnr include ganking and healing, and for some people chain BS. It's just easier to say "honor duel", or some form of the same phrase, than to say a 1v1 fight with no heals or chain BS. If ever I used the phrase honorable with respect to PvP, it wasn't to imply that players who gank, heal, and/or chain BS aren't honorable, just that they employed said tactics.

The root of the issue stems from the application of the term "honorable" as a substitute.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah damage I agree. It seems people take not being in the group called "honorable" as an implies insult, when its not intended that way by most. It's simply a word used to describe a particular situation. Then again things get muddled by those who expect so called 'honor' at all times and get very angry when they don't get what they want.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:58 pm