Thought's on Demon's Spear?

jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Thought's on Demon's Spear?

Post by jjshowal on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Hello all, I'm a dex build and have been dabbling with other weapons from my Iaito and was wondering what you thought about the Demon's Spear as opposed to other popular choices for long-ranged melee weapons like Scythes.

The DS seems to have some great damage and unbelievable reach with a pretty quick moveset. I haven't used it too much for PvP.

You got some sticky white stuff on your sword Look Skyward
    meridam99

Re: Thought's on Demon's Spear?

Post by meridam99 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:11 pm

jjshowal wrote:Hello all, I'm a dex build and have been dabbling with other weapons from my Iaito and was wondering what you thought about the Demon's Spear as opposed to other popular choices for long-ranged melee weapons like Scythes.

The DS seems to have some great damage and unbelievable reach with a pretty quick moveset. I haven't used it too much for PvP.

Never played with the demon spear, have it, just never used it. Looking forward to the posts here.
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Awesome reach, surprisingly good hit box and tracking (spears are normally pretty narrow, but the DS always seems to hit me), good stamina usage, but not the best damage. It's one of the turtling weapons that I always have a hard time against in pvp.

Dedicated forestwraith.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm

ds is one of the most annoying things to go up against while pvp'ing, it always hit me, even when i roll away, damn lag. a lot of people are usign it because of that, damage kinda sucks but when youre turtleing its a good weapon, i always bs whoever is using it because i know what their plan is as soon i see it.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm

I have a +5 one that I use on my level 50 build. It has long reach and o.k. damage at this level. One of the downsides is the R2 attack animation. It is very long and there is little chance that you will hit anyone with it which means you will be stuck using the R1 attack. That is probably fine though if you plan on turtling. It has C scaling for both str and dex which helps overall damage output.
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 pm

plz don't use it in pvp, don't become one of those Demon spear great shield jerks

Last edited by Emergence on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Language)
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Its pretty mediocre. Like everyone's said its got its advantages, and its drawbacks. The r2 attack is next to worthless, the damage is easily outdone by almost any other spear. The only way its useful is fully upgraded and its NOT worth 10 demon titanite. If you want a spear that does lightning damage upgrade one to lightning +5 or get the Dragon Slayer Spear.

Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

Duel Wielding Velka's Rapier http://tinyurl.com/73jfhgd
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Hahaha okay guess it's totally not worth it.

You got some sticky white stuff on your sword Look Skyward
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm

It is great off hand. It is fast, and has incredible reach.

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 pm

I'd imagine a lightning pike would be better since the pike promises longest reach, plus it has a high start damage for spears. (same as winged spear iirc)

User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm

It is not exactly the best weapon to use. However, due to it being electric and scaling, it says something. Its reach is great for a spear. However you are usually limited to R1 Moves, due to the R2 being a button you do not want to press at certain times. However with certian enemies (such as hollows), you can make the fly after 2-3 seconds of waiting for a lung, and they do go flying... fast. It is fun to see. I am not a fan of spears, but the Demon Spear has qualities to it, like any weapon does.
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:38 pm

My SL 88 guy used a Demon Spear+5 against Smough and I used my Pyro+15 against Ornstein. Easy fight.

The long reach of the DS makes it fun against a mob because you can hit mutliple enemies at a time. It's a fine weapon for lower soul levels.

I suck at PvP, but wouldn't want to use it in a fight. I don't trust spears and their narrow hit box.

Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:58 pm

Off hand only

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm

For PvE in NG+ and so on, it completely sucks because of it's poor damage. Never tested it in PvP.

Master Backstabber - Daddy Long Legs

PSN ID: ChizFreak - Steam ID: ChizFreak - YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChizFreak

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:45 pm