Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
FruitPunchNinja
TehInfamousAmos
reim0027
Seenblack
Bioraptor
dirkdeadeye
Katakato
Extertionist
RANT
vageta31
BLA1NE
cloudyeki
PlasticandRage
Imarreteet23
Federally
Dubscythe
20 posters

What's the best %100 physical block shield?

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

What's the best %100 physical block shield? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's the best %100 physical block shield?

Post by PlasticandRage Mon May 14, 2012 3:05 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:well the shield with the best deff is havels shield. its just unpractical.

That entirely depends on build. I'm having a ton of success with it currently. Works great in combination with a dragonoid build.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

What's the best %100 physical block shield? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's the best %100 physical block shield?

Post by BLA1NE Mon May 14, 2012 5:36 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:
    FruitPunchNinja wrote:well the shield with the best deff is havels shield. its just unpractical.

That entirely depends on build. I'm having a ton of success with it currently. Works great in combination with a dragonoid build.
    No, no. If you directly answer the question, then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXk5ru5gJQM .

Of course "the best" anything in Dark Souls depends on a lot of factors. But if the question is simply "what is the best 100% phys block shield" then the answer is unquestionably Havel's.

Although, if you take into account post #6, then Havel's is no longer the correct answer.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon May 14, 2012 6:57 pm

No, I meant it being impractical depends entirely on build, not it having the best defense.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Again, thanks for all the posts guys, if any of you can hop into this thread ( https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t5511-build-advice ) I would greatly appreciate it.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon May 14, 2012 7:19 pm

If you're not looking for magic or fire or lightning defense, the best shield is Solaire's shield, followed by Iron Round Shield. Both are medium, has a huge stability and can parry. I don't know why the heater shield is easier to parry, the animation looks so similar in every medium shield. Anyway...
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon May 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Silver Knight has the highest medium stability.

Tower shield has the highest stability for a shield with the weight of 3.

Heater shield is the lightest, although you can go with the wooden shield with 93% physical and 1.5 weight.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 am

Ya run into alot of lightning user pvpers so effigy shield maxed should do ya good for parrying. I like its looks too. Or any of the shields in the game really lol
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Carphil wrote:If you're not looking for magic or fire or lightning defense, the best shield is Solaire's shield, followed by Iron Round Shield. Both are medium, has a huge stability and can parry. I don't know why the heater shield is easier to parry, the animation looks so similar in every medium shield. Anyway...

I've never really tried either of these. Started to use the Iron Round Shield a couple of times but always been told that it didn't upgrade to be nearly as good as a lot of other stuff. I'm going to get on that.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue May 15, 2012 1:06 pm

^Some people just can't seem to grasp the concept of balance... I'm not talking about you, but about those who say the Iron Round Shield doesn't upgrade as well. Almost every piece of equipment in Dark Souls is balanced for pros and cons. If something has a con, most of the time, it has a pro. In this case, the Iron Round Shield's con is that it doesn't upgrade as well. So what's its pro? It has the same deflection type as a greatshield, and it can parry. It's the only shield in the game that can do that. But anyone who discards it just because its stability doesn't go as high, they're missing out on one hell of a pro.

(Also, people put way too much focus on stability. How many hits are they looking to block?)
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue May 15, 2012 1:09 pm

IMO, the best shield is not even 100% block...

its the skull lantern. There, I said it.

The Cons? It sucks as a shield.

The Pros? Getting beaten by a guy who has it equipped and smacks you with it form time to time brings a whole new meaning of humiliation. Plus, since I am missing a head, I need to see clearly, now do I?

lol

Of all seriousness, the 100% block shield I prefer is the Balder Shield. Its looks appeal me, its resistance not so well, its stability is good for a medium shield (compared to most), and it makes my guys look badass.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue May 15, 2012 1:29 pm

BLA1NE wrote:^Some people just can't seem to grasp the concept of balance... I'm not talking about you, but about those who say the Iron Round Shield doesn't upgrade as well. Almost every piece of equipment in Dark Souls is balanced for pros and cons. If something has a con, most of the time, it has a pro. In this case, the Iron Round Shield's con is that it doesn't upgrade as well. So what's its pro? It has the same deflection type as a greatshield, and it can parry. It's the only shield in the game that can do that. But anyone who discards it just because its stability doesn't go as high, they're missing out on one hell of a pro.

(Also, people put way too much focus on stability. How many hits are they looking to block?)

I totally agree, stability can be awesome depending on what you're doing though. My Havel's GS build, for example, high stability = strings of Leo Ring counters

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 pm