Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Share
    avatar
    Knavery
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-04-16
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Knavery on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 am

    Is it me or is Demon's Souls a lot harder than Dark Souls? I've played the latter a few times and am working on a NG+ with each of my characters.

    I decided to purchase Demon's Souls for 20 bucks at my local GameStop since the servers will be shut down in a month or so. I beat Phalanx, but am not comfortable proceeding.

    I tried my hand at continuing along the path where the dragon attacks after phallanx. I've also gone back to the Nexus and tried my hand at the next area with those crazed miners. I'm having issues with both area. Not only that, but my weapon seems to do very little damage.

    I'm sure the game will grow on me, but I will say one thing... Demon's Souls seems a little more unforgiving--especially in the early part of the game.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 pm

    Yeah I'd agree with that. The enemy mobs on Demon's are a lot tougher early on, but they don't really develop as much as they do on Dark Souls, late game is far simpler than it is on Dark to me anyways.

    To me, the bosses are a lot easier on Demon's (except for Flamelurker, but he's the one and only exception), while the mobs are a lot harder. Groups can kill you easily you due to there being 0 poise. To me also, it's difficult to have a great amount of power early on, and your character is generally weak for a while due to the way the weapon upgrades are in the beginning.

    I wouldn't say Demons is harder overall than Dark, but just more unforgiving and challenging in the beginning, whilst later on the game becomes more straightforward.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2021
    Reputation : 56
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Northern Ireland

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Wade_Wilson on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:19 pm

    I would recommend getting the Crescent Falchion from area 4-1, which is the the Shrine to the storm king. Its not too far into the level and deals magic as well as physical damage and should really help you get through the mines. It also slowly regenerates your mana points.

    I would also recommend 4-1 because you can get:

    1: A compound long bow, which is in my opinion the best bow in the game.
    2 The Kliji* which is a good curved sword
    3: An Uchigatana
    4: The adjudicators shield, which provides 2HP/second regeration as long as its equipped.
    5: The Ring of Regeneration, which provides 4HP/second.
    6: The soul of the adjudicator, which is the area boss. He appears as a large, fat humanoid with a golden crow atop him. Hitting him anywhere will not damage him, but if you attack the bleeding cut on his stomach he will collapse and give you 10 seconds to combo the golden crow. His soul can be exchanged for the Regeneration miracle which provides 1% health regen over 100 seconds and stacks with other healing equipment, or the Meat Cleaver, which is a large hammer which deals both physical and magic damage, scales S in Strength and Dexterity, and "A" in Faith and also gives you 1% health back per hit. However, you will not be able to create this weapon until you beat most of the mines.

    Defeating the bridge in 1-2, and the boss "Tower Knight" at this point is optional as you will not be able to progress beyond the Tower Knight without beating the entirety of a particular area.

    I hope this helps, sorry if I rambled a bit.


    _________________
    Golden rays of the glorious sunshine, sending down such a blood-red light
    Now the animals slowly retreat to the shadows, out of sight
    Arid winds blow across the mountains, giving flight to the birds of prey
    In the distance machines come to transform Eden, day by day
    Only love is with us now, something warm and pure!
    Find the peace within ourselves, no need for the cure!
    avatar
    Knavery
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-04-16
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Knavery on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:25 pm

    Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend upgrading any of the beginning weapons? I've mainly been using the winged spear, and battle axe. Sometimes I'll use the claymore which I can only use as a two-hander. Oh, one last question. I found this build called Ilkar's Faith build found on the Demon's Souls Wiki site. Is this recommended for first playing through it? As much as I've been playing Dark Souls, Demon Souls is just different enough to keep you plenty confused.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:26 pm

    Wade_Wilson wrote: A compound long bow, which is in my opinion the best bow in the game.

    no opinion about it wade, sticky compound longbow +5 is the ****. Though admittedly I stuck to the White bow for majority of my first playthrough to deal with Mantas, gave me power without lots of upgrading.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:29 pm

    Knavery wrote:Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend upgrading any of the beginning weapons? I've mainly been using the winged spear, and battle axe. Sometimes I'll use the claymore which I can only use as a two-hander. Oh, one last question. I found this build called Ilkar's Faith build found on the Demon's Souls Wiki site. Is this recommended for first playing through it? As much as I've been playing Dark Souls, Demon Souls is just different enough to keep you plenty confused.

    What kind of character are you going for? A faith build?


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Knavery
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-04-16
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Knavery on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:29 pm

    Wade_Wilson wrote:I would recommend getting the Crescent Falchion from area 4-1, which is the the Shrine to the storm king. Its not too far into the level and deals magic as well as physical damage and should really help you get through the mines. It also slowly regenerates your mana points.

    I would also recommend 4-1 because you can get:

    1: A compound long bow, which is in my opinion the best bow in the game.
    2 The Kliji* which is a good curved sword
    3: An Uchigatana
    4: The adjudicators shield, which provides 2HP/second regeration as long as its equipped.
    5: The Ring of Regeneration, which provides 4HP/second.
    6: The soul of the adjudicator, which is the area boss. He appears as a large, fat humanoid with a golden crow atop him. Hitting him anywhere will not damage him, but if you attack the bleeding cut on his stomach he will collapse and give you 10 seconds to combo the golden crow. His soul can be exchanged for the Regeneration miracle which provides 1% health regen over 100 seconds and stacks with other healing equipment, or the Meat Cleaver, which is a large hammer which deals both physical and magic damage, scales S in Strength and Dexterity, and "A" in Faith and also gives you 1% health back per hit. However, you will not be able to create this weapon until you beat most of the mines.

    Defeating the bridge in 1-2, and the boss "Tower Knight" at this point is optional as you will not be able to progress beyond the Tower Knight without beating the entirety of a particular area.

    I hope this helps, sorry if I rambled a bit.

    Those items sound awesome! But what is 4-1? Sorry I just bought the game literally two days ago. happy I guess a map might help, but I'm not really familiar enough to understand what I'm looking at. Essentially, all I've really done is kill Phalanx and some tough SOB at the end of a walkway at the top of the castle. He seemed to be guarding a locked door which I couldn't get through.
    avatar
    Knavery
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-04-16
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Knavery on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:
    Knavery wrote:Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend upgrading any of the beginning weapons? I've mainly been using the winged spear, and battle axe. Sometimes I'll use the claymore which I can only use as a two-hander. Oh, one last question. I found this build called Ilkar's Faith build found on the Demon's Souls Wiki site. Is this recommended for first playing through it? As much as I've been playing Dark Souls, Demon Souls is just different enough to keep you plenty confused.

    What kind of character are you going for? A faith build?

    Yeah it's a faith build found here: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:74

    I'm totally OK with starting the game over if there's a build that's more recommended for the first play through. I don't really have a preference. I use several builds in Dark Souls and love them all.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:33 pm

    Well just do a build that you want to lol, there's no recommended, though the Faith and health regen is useful for new players. If you are doing a faith build, then I'd recommend this weapon: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/large-sword-of-moonlight

    Basically, there are 5 archstones as you know in the nexus. From left to right we call each one 1 to 5. the second number, is the area past which part of the level. so 4-1 is the first area in the fourth archstone.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by WyrmHero on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:49 pm

    4-1 is the most difficult area at the beginning. The monsters are too resilient.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2021
    Reputation : 56
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Northern Ireland

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Wade_Wilson on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm

    Yeah, what SM said. There are five archstones in the nexus, each leading to a different area. Each area normally has 3 bosses, and is split up into 3 parts according the archstones in each area. For example, chapter 4-1 is the beginning of the storm shrine, and ends at the adjudicator archstone. 4-2 begins there and ends at the old hero archstone. 4-3 begins here and ends at the Storm King archstone.

    Archstone 1: Boleterian palace.
    Archstone 2: Stonefang mines
    Archstone 3: Tower of Latria
    Archstone 4: Shrine of storms
    Archstone 5: Valley of defilement


    _________________
    Golden rays of the glorious sunshine, sending down such a blood-red light
    Now the animals slowly retreat to the shadows, out of sight
    Arid winds blow across the mountains, giving flight to the birds of prey
    In the distance machines come to transform Eden, day by day
    Only love is with us now, something warm and pure!
    Find the peace within ourselves, no need for the cure!
    avatar
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2021
    Reputation : 56
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Northern Ireland

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Wade_Wilson on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:55 pm

    WyrmHero wrote:4-1 is the most difficult area at the beginning. The monsters are too resilient.

    They die in 3 hits to the crescent falchion, and before you get that its a matter of chain backstabbing them and avoiding the guard break move, and engaging one at a time.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

    Yeah, I wouldn't say 4-1 is the hardest at the beginning, for me is 3-1, I hate those mage guys so much and the layout is confusing as hell :|


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Knavery
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-04-16
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Knavery on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:07 pm

    I thought all the areas were locked until you cleared the prior. How do I get the items in 4-1 without clearing most of the game first? I clearly know nothing of the game yet.

    So some differences I've seen:
    1.) grass is used instead of estus flasks
    2.) getting knocked off balanced lasts longer for enemies to get a hit in
    3.) Nexus is used instead of bonfires
    4.) Upgrade system is different

    These are the four that I can think of right now--enough to make the game new and challenging... Or old and challenging. happy


    Last edited by Knavery on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 pm

    knavery, 4-1 is form a different archstone to the others. You don't need to go in order in Demon's which is the beauty of it. You can collect all the best equipment and blitz through the other areas if you want. after you complete 1-1 and talk to monumental, the other archstones are unlocked for you to go in and explore.

    I'd recommend doing it in order though for your first time, going 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1... etc, just so that you're doing the game how it was designed to get full experience of it happy


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2021
    Reputation : 56
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Northern Ireland

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Wade_Wilson on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:12 pm

    Don't listen to SM, he's a masochist! Get the fattest loots and breeze through the game!

    But seriously, you're going to need the Crescent Falchion if you plan on killing Flamelurker on a non-mage build. He's the second boss of Stonefang.


    _________________
    Golden rays of the glorious sunshine, sending down such a blood-red light
    Now the animals slowly retreat to the shadows, out of sight
    Arid winds blow across the mountains, giving flight to the birds of prey
    In the distance machines come to transform Eden, day by day
    Only love is with us now, something warm and pure!
    Find the peace within ourselves, no need for the cure!
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:14 pm

    Wade_Wilson wrote:Don't listen to SM, he's a masochist! Get the fattest loots and breeze through the game!

    But seriously, you're going to need the Crescent Falchion if you plan on killing Flamelurker on a non-mage build. He's the second boss of Stonefang.

    I created a moon battleaxe like a baws.

    Don't listen to Wade, he's making you waste your levels on intelligence silly Just get a fire resist shield and he's easy big grin (though you'll be hard pressed to find one, as the only resistances on shields are physical and magic)

    also wade I think we should stop telling him where everything is, it's his first playthrough, let him blindly loot like a good graverobber silly


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2021
    Reputation : 56
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Northern Ireland

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Wade_Wilson on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:
    Wade_Wilson wrote:Don't listen to SM, he's a masochist! Get the fattest loots and breeze through the game!

    But seriously, you're going to need the Crescent Falchion if you plan on killing Flamelurker on a non-mage build. He's the second boss of Stonefang.

    I created a moon battleaxe like a baws.

    Don't listen to Wade, he's making you waste your levels on intelligence silly Just get a fire resist shield and he's easy big grin (though you'll be hard pressed to find one, as the only resistances on shields are physical and magic)

    also wade I think we should stop telling him where everything is, it's his first playthrough, let him blindly loot like a good graverobber silly

    One does not simply block flamelurker's attacks. Granted, you might be able to block one but if he decides to combo you... say goodbye to your stamina bar.
    avatar
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 311
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-04-05

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by barrywilkins on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:10 pm

    id say that demons is harder than dark. if only because the beginning is much more brutal than the mid/end. valley of defilement level 1 is absolutely brutal to any new characters i make. why? because without the thieves ring, you get mobbed by all of the depraved ones halfway across the level. dark souls gave you a pretty nice progression path, whereas demons was very disjointed. upgrades were harder to come by, armor was practically useless with the exception of the brushwood, and the level 1 areas have alot of powerful mobs that can stomp you quite easily.
    avatar
    Knavery
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-04-16
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Knavery on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

    You guys gave me enough feedback to where I'll definitely have an easier time. Thanks for the tips. I've actually gone back to the beginning of the game to farm for grass. I went through a lot of it fighting the crazy miners and fire-breathing Dr. John (as if anyone will get this reference) looking things.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Demon Souls Harder than Dark Souls

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 am