Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Gol
ErrJon6661
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
befowler
Carphil
billy_bayonet
Wade_Wilson
DamageCK
DarkW17
Uparkaam
RANT
Rynn
sinisterapathy
bloodpixel
lextune
Imarreteet23
Delvanoc
21 posters

straight swords

Delvanoc
    Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

straight swords Empty straight swords

Post by Delvanoc Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Simple question... are straight swords worth anything in pvp? Or do they get better with scaling at higher lvl pvp (meaning closer to the 120 lvl)?
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

straight swords Empty Re: straight swords

Post by Imarreteet23 Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 pm

The Balder SIde Sword is very good, and the Silver Knight Sword is acceptable, but most straight swords have C scaling, which is nothing special, and half decent damage. I.E. Not very good.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 pm

I had a good run with the darksword in the past, (haven't used it in a while though)....

The real answer may seem like a cop out, but here it is; it is not the weapon but the wielder.

I have been having quite a time trying to get over the hump with using ultragreatswords in pvp, but I have seen many people that destroy with them. Any weapon can be viable.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Balda Swag Sword.
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:59 pm

as others stated Balder Side Sword. R2 has good range...with bad tanks i can just R2 them after every swing they make. ive killed guys in havels with 4-6 shots like this.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 am

2 hand straight swords. You get a 100% final damage bonus. So if you would do 75, you do 150. This 100% boost is different then an actual attack power boost, and so it even effects elemental weapons.

Straight Swords also do a lot of stamina loss upon collision with shields, so you can break through them easier.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 am

i feel the same way about the greatswords, the only one that has really good scaling is the msgs(my fave gs), it gets an A in str like the BSS in dex. i know gs's hit harder but only lower sl's a buffed msgs kicks the clay's ***.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:36 pm

If you know how to use them, yes, they are good in PVP. Any weapon is effective if used in the right hands.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:53 pm

I have had GREAT pvp success with a buffed DARK sword and the BSS but with the thrust ability and speed of the Balder it wins hands down and this is a Darkwraith admitting this LOL.

I have had sooooooo many guys try to go toe 2 toe with me using the MLGS vs my CMW buffed BSS and 78 poise....if you dont already know this is a VERY bad idea the Buffed Balder will win EVERY TIME usually before they even land there 2nd hit and its considered FAST for a greatsword twisted
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:18 pm

With weapons like straight swords, you might not get a ton of damage per swing, but you can get at least two swings for every single swing with a greatsword, which makes a huge difference. Plus, like other people have said, it's got a fast wind up and super fast recovery, so you can punish whiffs constantly, and low swing commitment means you can afford to whiff without fear of being punished in return.
    Delvanoc
    Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Delvanoc Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I love the quickness of straight swords, just was greatly concerned about the damage output. I guess its time to move away from the katanas and try my hand at them. Especially considering the stam drain on shields. That would come in handy.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:18 pm

I love using Straight Swords. I have a +15 Longsword, a +10 Fire Barbed SS, a +5 Lightning Sunlight SS, A +15 Balder SS and a +15 Darksword. I can do thousands of damage with the right setup (in chain attacks) and bosses are helpless.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Ya I wouldnt be to concerned about dmg output if you can buff my +14 BSS stats out at 386 1 handed 388 2 handed and my CMW buff adds 415 so that 831 a swing and I can swing my BSS 7 times on a stam bar the dark sword stats out even high just lacks the moveset.

You can get 2 licks in before they even swing if you get the timing down right...then 2 more during there 1st swing...then 1 last swing as they start there 2nd swing and they are dead with any amout of HP available trust me. With straight swords its a better idea to get a quick hit or 2 in and evade and bait them...but if they wanna go toe 2 toe as long as you get those all important first 2 hits in before they swing you will always win that battle with decent poise of course.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:06 pm

I started PVP using the +15 Sunlight straight sword, buffed with sunlight blade or CMW, most players never see this as a threat paired with a decent shield you can block there first attack role away role back in 2 handed and land 2 swings in for nearly 1000 damage, which is enough to make them crap themselves, stat scaling isnt too great but with a decent buff you can get round this easily, in the words of limp bizkit...keep rollin rollin rollin
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

The best to use C C scaling is 30 Str 30 Dex I believe
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm another BSS fan. The R2 thrust is very fast with great range, and against many heavy weapons you can wait until someone swings at you, sidestep or backstep, hit them with the thrust, and then roll away before they even get another swing off. Also works great w/o target lock, as you can redirect the thrust very easily even after it's started. You can also even get it in between WotG spam if you're quick and at the edge of the blast area. The thrust also benefits from the leo ring when countering swings, so if you wear that and buff it with CMW, SLB, etc the stabs really become vicious. The R2 is also significantly harder to parry than the R1 sweeps, particularly if your target is at the far end of the stab range (think spear). Finally, you can even dead angle with it, particularly the roll and sprint attacks. The only negative is that it doesn't eat through poise particularly quickly, although it can -- in any event, I often pair it with CSS with an off hand catalyst so if I can hit with one of those I can then immediately R1/R2 people to death even if they're in full havels.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:12 pm

The thrust of the claymore drew me to the BSS and after stunlocking everything that moves at the kiln with my buffed claymore...I switched to the BSS and chaos blade to mix it up.

The thrust of the BSS is so fast it puts the claymores thrust to shame and does almost the same dmg like whats up with that. WOW leo ring with the BSS great call wish I had the leo ring sad I guess I will just have to use PW lol thats a quick fight in the making also.

The unlocked BSS thrust is amazing and you can totally can that direction mid thrust for sure. The unlocked rolling 1 handed up swipe is awesome also...roll there side unlocked like your going for a roll/pivot bs and punish them and bail. The Darksword has the same moveset 1 handed as well...the 1 handed running swipe can also be very effective as people think your rushing a BS then you punish and bail. There seems to be this mystery around the BSS/Darksword as most people dont use them in PVP it seems to catch people off guard alot.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:42 pm

umm i tired the leo ring with a thrust damage hammer... it didn't work... so will leo only work for rapiers, spears and swords with thrust attacks?
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:04 pm

It should work with any weapon that you land a counter strike with. I LOVE the great club 2 handed roll slam buffed it does around 750 lets say...but soooo many people think they can attack when when I go for it and it will land over 1150 damage when they attack as it hits them....with the leo it would almost make it a OHKO lol!!!!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I am now a bit confused at how the leo ring works... anyone wish to sum it up?
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 pm

yup its really easy if your opponent goes for a strike and you land one just before he does its called a counter strike and it does MASSIVE damage and the leo ring boosts this damage.

Try it out on enemys hit them and see the damage...then let them swing and get yours in there 1st before theres and you'll see how much more damage it does...try with a sword thats fast at 1st tho.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 pm

it says thrusting weapons only... but the pick axe does thrust damage and it didn't work....
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Oh okay good to know so basically all weapons will do counter dmg but the leo ring only boosts the counter damage from thrusting weapons!
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm

The leo ring works if you hit an opponent mid swing, so you can even use it if they have already swung and just missed. That's my favorite time as many of the larger weapons have greater reach than even the BSS R2 and I don't want to risk exchanging simultaneous hits or poking them first and then eating a counter attack because I couldn't get through their poise. In other words, let's say someone swipes at you with a claymore horizontal R1 sweep. As soon as the attack goes past you (either dodging or blocking) hit your R2. You will stab them, get the leo bonus, and still have time to then roll aside or away before they can get their claymore back around - even if they R1 it again. This works well against most slow swing/recovery weapons; the only one I have trouble with is the 2hd zweihander because of the stupid knockdown effect and broken vertical swing hitbox that usually hits me even if I'm three feet to one side. If you're desperate it also works on the BSS jump attack, although this is slower is much harder to roll out of afterwards.

The ring itself boosts damage by 40% if you use it right, so it's like a slightly weaker red tearstone ring but that you can use at 100% health. It stacks with power within and weap buffs of course, but unlike all of these items there is no leo ring buff aura to give away what you are up to and the glorious BSS poking you are about to unleash upon your enemies. Use this power wisely, my son, and discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way.
    Delvanoc
    Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Delvanoc Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Wow, this thread has become a wealth of knowledge to me and has renewed my faith in straight swords. Thank you everybody for all the input and advice. You have my thanks!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:17 pm