Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
FruitPunchNinja
Tolvo
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
ARSP
Robotech
aprilmanha
aceluby
Rin
WyrmHero
Wade_Wilson
deadagain
WarriorOfSunlight
PsychoCT
JY4answer
Johannsny
skarekrow13
PPG-3-
DxV04
Griever
Holy_Knight
24 posters

Ending ****Spolier Alert****

Holy_Knight

Ending ****Spolier Alert**** Empty Ending ****Spolier Alert****

Post by Holy_Knight Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 am

Hi All,

After playing what I believe to be the hardest game in my life and putting in over 120 hours to complete the game (as I wanted to ensure I did as much as possible including helping other players) I was EXTREMELY dissappointed with the end of the game.

I went through to the Kiln of the Flame (I thinks thats right!) and summoned someone as I saw their sign by the entrance .

Then on my first attempt went through to the final boss and killed him on the first attempt ...(which anoyed me a little considering how many souls and humanity I had lost fighting (and losing) to other bosses ..) but this isnt my point...

My point was that I then lit the bonfire and POW the credits was on the screen - like WTF !?!?! This is the worst ending to any game that I have played.

I loved the game and started again on NG but come on what happened at the end ?

EXTREMELY ANNOYED

Holy_Kinght

PS - The Graveyard Area boss ???? Call him a boss ??? He was a lightweight and no Chuck Norris.

PPS - Do you know that when Chuck Norris goes into a dark room , he doesnt turn the light on, he turns the dark off ?
    Griever
    Griever
    Regular
    Regular

Ending ****Spolier Alert**** Empty Re: Ending ****Spolier Alert****

Post by Griever Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am

On my first playthrough I wasn't dissapointed with the last boss or ending but I was dissapointed with the last area.

I thought they could of made it a lot harder/longer. Its taken you all that time to get to the kiln I was expecting an epic area with lots of tough mini-bosses.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:53 am

Now you can do the other ending and walk away with out linking the fire. It is different.
    Luckily for me I walked away in the first time and linked the fire the second time. So I was spared that disappointment.
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am

I think the ending stays in line with the game as a whole.

were you expecting a longer cut scene with dialogue and explanations? nah. that's not From's style.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 am

I thought the endings were perfect actually but I mentioned in another thread I liked the ending of Stephen King's Dark Tower series as well.

**Spoiler***

If you haven't read it he completes his quest but doesn't get to see if it has the desired results (or any for that matter). Instead it gives the same lines the first book begins with, but with a slight difference in what he's got with him.

The reason I like both endings is that in both cases the experience is so engrossing I don't want to feel like it's over. By not showing us it's over I can go into NG+ with a similar excitement to the first game.
    Johannsny
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Johannsny Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:01 am

I think it fit the minimalist style of the game perfectly.
    If you want to watch movies, watch Avengers or something. Shrug
    Holy_Knight

Post by Holy_Knight Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 am

I don't want to watch movies...I just wanted something to show for all the hours I have put in...

Just like Dragon Age, Dragaon Age 2, Halo series, Final Fantasy series....

I just wanted to know that I achieved something and didnt just waste over 100 + hours sad
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:20 am

Well if you look up explanations of the endings you did quite a feat in liting up that bonfire.
    PsychoCT

Post by PsychoCT Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 am

The simple fact that you got something out of Dragon Age tells me why you didn't get something out of Dark Souls ;P jk
    Holy_Knight

Post by Holy_Knight Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 am

Demon Souls completly bypassed me - a mate gotme into Dark Souls as he knew how much I loved Dragon Age.

Don't get me wrong....I loved Dark Souls - It was just a huge build up and then over in seconds (A bit like by sex life lol)
    WarriorOfSunlight
    WarriorOfSunlight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by WarriorOfSunlight Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:38 am

Those are pretty bad examples really, both Dragon Age and Final Fantasy are story driven rpg's, the ending is important. If you think that the story was important in Dark Souls then well....... I don't know how to break it to you.
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 am

You didn't waste any time. In fact ng+ is when the game gets interesting imo. I thought the endings were anti climatic as well but now u can focus on a better toon or upgrades. As you probably know your first toon is usually not as good as you would like. I don't even remember what my first toon was like but I do remember not being able to wait to do another run and experiment with different builds. Dark Souls is hardly about the ending. It's more of a search for secrets of lore, weapons and armor and the limits of ones own ability. Don't give up on the game like I said it is just getting interesting.
    Become addicted
    Join us
    Holy_Knight

Post by Holy_Knight Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Sorry mate - I hate to sound like a newbie but whats a "toon" ?
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 pm

The ending are symbolic. By linking the flame you are allowing the gods to continue to rule over humanity and you sacrifice yourself to stop people going hollow.
    By choosing the dark lord ending, you begin the age of man as its new ruler, and this age will be one of hardships, darkwraiths preying on the helpless, but also an age of propsperity for man and a fall of the gods.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Roger Rabbit is the most well known Toon in Toontown but here it means the character you created. Or characters for most people that aren't me.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I didn't like it either. I am like you, after spending all those hours playing, I wanted a great ending. Demon's Souls was the same, bah. I love the lore btw, but it is so minimalist, it turns you hollow with all the questions. The Dark Ending was a little better and somewhat epic, but I want more.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:25 pm

lol thats the eternal beauty of drs you have the lore there but its shrouded in fog for you to figure out for you to make up thats another thing that maked drs so special you can make your own lore or at least bend the one thats there a little you can make up what happened to you if you leave the place or what happened after you lit the fire...and yes i know that you burn to fule it ...thats wt makes drs special and thats why some people still play it after 1000 hours Prostration and the ending of drs is perfect i do not see how you can think it was bad...you complained the hardest game of 2011 'i know but there was no demo at the end stating how good i did' realy...wtf?? Prostration peace Prostration
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:32 pm

The ending fits really well w/ how the entire story is told. Besides the entry I think the longest cut scene is all of 30 seconds when you place the lord vessel. The game doesn't 'tell' you really anything. You have to figure it out. Along those same lines, now that you've seen the ending it's up to you to figure out how it fits with the story. Finding the other ending helps in this regard, as well as getting as much info out of every NPC.

One thing I do find funny though is when people complain about 'wasting' 100+ hours on a game. Obviously it was fun otherwise you never would have kept going back and I'll take a leap and guess you weren't spending those 100+ hours because of the story...
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I felt that the endings simply made all you have done insignificant. Its like saying, well done, you worked harder then you ever have before and won... so now your reward is to get to do it again but things are harder.

Its like a Job but without the pay rise you get for a promotion big grin
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Considering that the end boss of demons souls, was not really a boss but a simple push-over that you 2 handed to death without dodging anything... i can say that the end boss of dark souls is a huge improvement in terms of difficulty. But yes the cut scenes after you kill gwyn are nothing important, i felt i was not rewarded as well after having to die a million times to get there.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Thats a good point actually.

Having watched my friend play the end of Demons, I thought the entire end sequence was more of an interactive cutscene, one that neatly, if oddly worded, finished up the plot. The last boss was the false king, while you really just wanted to put the twisted real king out of his torment.

Dark Souls just sort of gives up and wants to get you back to the beginning ASAP.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:40 pm

It really isn't much of spoiler since most of this forum's active members have already beaten the game
    Holy_Knight

Post by Holy_Knight Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Good point but as you can tell I have only started posting today and didnt want to be banned after my first post for givining away the "ending" lol

Now I have completed the game, is it better to complete NG + or start with a new character ?
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 pm

can i remind you all that some lf you hear are hating on a game you love... :|
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 pm

It depends if u like your character, if so go ng+. It was awhile before I went ng+, I wanted to try other builds for pvp.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 am