Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Soul of Stray Demon
Tolvo
Marino.
RANT
steveswede
Forum Pirate
mugenis4real
Serious_Much
Icegodzilla
Yarxov
Hue
FexDS
Scurrilous Straggler
GrinTwist
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Hatsune Miku
Hart
Emergence
22 posters

Posts migration

Poll

How important is preserving your post count for new forums?

[ 9 ]
    Posts migration - Page 2 I_vote_lcap30%Posts migration - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [30%] 
    [ 21 ]
    Posts migration - Page 2 I_vote_lcap70%Posts migration - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [70%] 

Total Votes: 30
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Posts migration - Page 2 Empty Re: Posts migration

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:42 pm

I'd personally love the biggest and most veteran members of the forum to be given titles to set them apart.. though I doubt that'll happen silly
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:I am leaning to Soul's side with this. While I like to at least keep the post count, keeping most threads would be a wise cost-effective measure for you two. My only issue with it is that how....how do I say this in an easy to understand way? An issue of how the newer players to the series wont have reason to trust the older/experienced players due to the experience players losing creditability.

Also a bonus for me is that I hope I can use the avatars I want again with no issue from the engine (right term?).

Maybe some sort of special mark that says "Experienced Member" or something like that.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:I am leaning to Soul's side with this. While I like to at least keep the post count, keeping most threads would be a wise cost-effective measure for you two. My only issue with it is that how....how do I say this in an easy to understand way? An issue of how the newer players to the series wont have reason to trust the older/experienced players due to the experience players losing creditability.

Also a bonus for me is that I hope I can use the avatars I want again with no issue from the engine (right term?).
    Maybe some sort of special mark that says "Experienced Member" or something like that.
    You're not even that experienced.

I, on the other hand, will have to start from the bottom. Again. sad

It honestly demotivates me slightly.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:53 pm

I feel bad for guys like you, rant, tolvo etc who have everything nuked. It's a shame but sadly a necessary one.

Maybe there can be some kind of solution to that issue. Can't promise anything though
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Call it petty, call it whatever you wish...but wiping out a members post count and rep brings one right down to "new person" status and negates a year or more of forum loyalty.

It is that simple.

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm just going to be recreating my old threads and posting new ones. I already have the coding sent to Fex and Emergence for the Resources thread in case my surgery goes wrong.

I also have the coding saved from many useful threads, many of which are in the Resources thread. And I made sure to put in the copy/pastes who posted the thread so people still get their original credit. So I'm quite prepared for the move.

Rebuilding my Reputation Empire though will be quite difficult, I guess I can just do it the Breaking Bad way. I just have to find my Jesse, because I AM CLEARLY WALTER WHITE DAMMIT.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:08 pm

There shouldn't be a hierarchy of opinions. A "new person" should still be as respected as an old one. As humans we are all equal.

Forum, that has never happened here and I don't think it will ever. This is a vocal community, if a new person slips up there will be several others to fix what they said wrong. If I wanted a high rep, high post reply I would PM that person. Even if they are new or rarely post they will still have something to say.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Yarxov wrote:There shouldn't be a hierarchy of opinions. A "new person" should still be as respected as an old one. As humans we are all equal.
    I take small exception to that. I have never looked down at a new member and I have never regarded their opinions as less than, if anything I've always gone out of my way to strike up a conversation with new members and to make them feel welcome.

I love new members, without them to refresh things any online community is destined to fail, but that's not the point. I don't want to be above a new member it's about not losing a body of work that I created here. I don't care about how "good" my rep is, if they transferred over my data saying I have 40 rep instead of the 320 or whatever it is that I actually have I wouldn't care but it's more about letting it be known that at one point something different existed and that it, and its people, mattered.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm

I Personally don't get why it's so important to keep what I consider meaningless numbers.  I would get it if this was some debate over community trophies because those would be based around challenges with each other, but fussing over post counts?

Meh.

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:how do I say this in an easy to understand way? An issue of how the newer players to the series wont have reason to trust the older/experienced players due to the experience players losing creditability.
    On the sonicretro forums, they have different titles depending on your history and field. They have..

Oldbie
    Tech Member
    Researcher
    Wiki Sysop
    Administrator

The Oldbie title (or some other similar name) would be fitting for the people that migrate from this forum to the new one. A title that can only be earned if you have a history with the Souls series and the old forum. Much better than having a high post count which anyone can achieve without knowing much about the Souls games.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:07 pm

I agree steve that the value of a title is much more than a post count. But there are many routes to take with this really.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 pm

I actually would prefer my postcount not to be taken if my rep is left behind. A clean slate should be entirely clean, not partially.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:41 pm

Yarxov wrote:There shouldn't be a hierarchy of opinions. A "new person" should still be as respected as an old one. As humans we are all equal.

Forum, that has never happened here and I don't think it will ever. This is a vocal community, if a new person slips up there will be several others to fix what they said wrong. If I wanted a high rep, high post reply I would PM that person. Even if they are new or rarely post they will still have something to say.
    as knowledgable members of the community however, we are not all equal, nor does human equality have anything to do wit ones ability to give helpful advice. no matter how often people try to convince me i can't bs with a mid roll, or that i can stunlock with a dgm, or that the zweih is a good str weapon, or that dms only invade down, they're still wrong. that doesn't stop people agreeing with them instead of me, when i am provably correct.as of now, that is reflected in my rep. when it's not, for me or anyone else, miss information will be tougher to spot. also, there should be a heirarchy of opinions. any opinion thats not pure preference must be based on sound logic or it is worthless, being based on logical falacies or a flawed premise. this indeed means, some opinions, and, by extension, some peoples opinions, are better than others.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:50 pm

I think yarxov was more pointing out the fact that number of posts and length of time here has no bearing on how good the advice someone gives can be.

For instance I have a much higher post, point and rep count than yourself and also have an authoritative position. However while on the face of it the system seems to say I am more trustworthy in knowledge of souls, you quite obviously have the greater knowledge base than myself.

This is a clear example of the apparent "hierarchy of opinion" as you call it for new members failing utterly. I would much rather they take your advice than mine silly
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I think yarxov was more pointing out the fact that number of posts and length of time here has no bearing on how good the advice someone gives can be.

For instance I have a much higher post, point and rep count than yourself and also have an authoritative position. However while on the face of it the system seems to say I am more trustworthy in knowledge of souls, you quite obviously have the greater knowledge base than myself.

This is a clear example of the apparent "hierarchy of opinion" as you call it for new members failing utterly. I would much rather they take your advice than mine silly
    yes, but you clarify that as does tolvo, and pendant, which makes your advice, follow his advice. when i'm right, that is the heirarchy supporting itself in a helpful manner to others reading. it's also not n absolute rule, but a frame of reference. helpful, not the end all.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 pm

I may have a solution for this - posted in the other thread happy
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 pm

I know it may make me look "superficial", but post count (and the posts that go along with them) matters to me.  I'm proud of my post count and feel it is an example of my activity and dedication here.  But, if the cost is prohibitive, I can understand not transferring them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 pm

I know, make it so that if you donate 15 dollars you get to have everything transferred.

That isn't a horrible idea or anything. Nope, not at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 pm