Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Chaos Spectre
Ahhotep1
Emergence
reim0027
Hatsune Miku
skarekrow13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
FexDS
12 posters

Fextralife: Get your articles published

Poll

How would you interact with Fextralife?

[ 12 ]
    Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_lcap34%Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_rcap [34%] 
    [ 10 ]
    Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_lcap29%Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_rcap [29%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_lcap14%Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_rcap [14%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_lcap6%Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_rcap [6%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_lcap6%Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_rcap [6%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_lcap11%Fextralife: Get your articles published I_vote_rcap [11%] 

Total Votes: 35
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Fextralife: Get your articles published Empty Fextralife: Get your articles published

Post by FexDS Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi everyone

It's been a little over two weeks since we launched Fextralife and we have had a great time seeing many of you contribute articles, visit, share the links and leave comments.

I keep finding people who are unaware that they can contribute, so I wanted to clear those up.

In short: it's a blog for our community.

Anyone can submit content, be it their hobbies, a loved recipe, a trophy guide, a review of a game, a serious article or a bunch of pranks. The idea of the site is to keep a stream of our collective consciousness, fueled by Reim's beer. (We had our "State of the Wiki" discussion, and there's the "What's a Fextralife" page if you want the long version)

How to contribute:

Writing:
      Follow this link to register with the site. Then send me a PM here or on Fextra. You will be given contributor status, which allows you to access a dashboard and create posts. Once you are done you save them as "pending" for the editors to fix up formatting and schedule it for publication. Click here to see how it looks

Commenting:
      Maybe you're more of the reading type. In that case, you can participate by leaving comments for the authors. Everyone writes because they want to share their thoughts, let them know you heard them! Follow this link to register

Sharing:
      Perhaps you rather stay behind the scenes, but you'd also like to give some thumbs up to the efforts of the community. You can help by sharing the content on social media, link it to other forums or chats you participate in, etc. We have Twitter, Facebook and Google +, but also each article can be individually liked and shared by you to your friends:

Fextralife: Get your articles published VmZ9tOHl

We are also planning on having streams, and allowing access to this page to members of the community who want to share a game through the site.

Everything is still a work in progress as we learn how everything works, so please let us know any suggestions or ideas that you have to make it better or more accessible.

Praise the Sun 

Last edited by FexDS on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 am; edited 3 times in total
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Fextralife: Get your articles published Empty Re: Fextralife: Get your articles published

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm just waiting for an Ok to go on with my thing. Once I finish that up, I'll contribute other articles. Maybe show reviews? Sports blog? Who knows?
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Fextralife: Get your articles published Empty Re: Fextralife: Get your articles published

Post by FexDS Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Pendant... I've been waiting for part two to appear on the dashboard! xD
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 pm

I thought I was waiting for some sort of a "template" or something...
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Yeah Emergence was putting together a template... then he got distracted by  shiny object near the window. Then something caught his eye outside. The he saw a shadow in the woods and had to go check it out... rolling eyes  Let me chase him
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:31 pm

I'd vote but I believe we're all aware of how I'd interact with Fextralife.

Get over there and validate my insane ramblings everyone!

You know, pretty much like here but there a text wall is just called an "article."
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:32 pm

From the chat:

[22:25:55] Hatsune Miku : I'll mostly be doing commenting and the like.

[22:26:52] Hatsune Miku : I might occassionally submit an artical.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:28 am

I've got 2 articles published and a small forum set up.

But, the navigation of the site is confusing to me. I'm too used to forum navigation. Things where I can automatically see all new posts or replies to my posts/topics would be nice. Like logging on to here, I can see all the yellow links as new posts and I can see that from the start.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 am

You can go into the dashboard and it shows comments with the most recent first
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:37 am

skarekrow13 wrote:You can go into the dashboard and it shows comments with the most recent first
    I'm used to them being sorted by topic first, then date. It is much easier to sort, in my mind. Plus, it is nice to know which topics I have posted in that have responses. I'm too used to the forum-style organization.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:10 am

Mhmm I wonder how I can make that easier Reim

The Activity tab shows you the most recent signups, comments, posts, etc. maybe I can create further filters? There's also a "most recent comments" on the site's footer but it is indeed out of the way.

Not sure how to implement an "at a glance" whats new for regulars. I'll have to look into this. If you find any site that has a layout you like link it please happy
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 am

I agree with Reim, I go on the Dashboard to check out all the new stuff but it still feels very fragmented.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 am

Ok I added a recent comments widget to the sidebar as well as a full page with a list of recent comments. There seems to be no easy way to highlight your unread posts, I will continue to look around but I haven't seen many websites do that, so it may just be that you're used to he forum format.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 am

I'm nearly done with the template for retro reviews. I wrote a review concurrent with developing the template to see what sensible categories would be. I'll have it ready very shortly.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Is it alright if I wright a review for an old game; Okami; more specifically, Okami, for Playstation 2 and 3, and the Wii version?

If so, I call that review as mine!
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Def! We want everyone to showcase their interests, so if you have a passion for an old game it works out great big grin
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Sweet!
    But I'm going to need to read some of other people's articles first to give me an idea of how I should go about it.
    Then I need time to write/type it out and stuff. Of course.

I don't know how long this will take me to do all of this in total; But this is something I've always wanted to review Okami and have it put up as a review. So I'm going to take my time with what I put in there.
    In other words it will be a while.

But as I said earlier. I've called the Okami review first!

YES!
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 am

The Dashboard is non-functional for me. It sits there inert and lifeless. Tell's me that I do not have permission(s) to do anything. confused 
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:13 am

Ahhotep1 wrote:The Dashboard is non-functional for me. It sits there inert and lifeless. Tell's me that I do not have permission(s) to do anything. confused 
    I think you gotta have Fex give you a little + sign in the top left of your screen.
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:34 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    Ahhotep1 wrote:The Dashboard is non-functional for me. It sits there inert and lifeless. Tell's me that I do not have permission(s) to do anything. confused 
    I think you gotta have Fex give you a little + sign in the top left of your screen.
    Supposedly, she did...maybe not, then. Thanks Pendant. happy
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:47 am

Yay! Problem resolved. big grin
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:12 pm

I've recently jumped into writing a lot. I think I will try this out.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:04 am

Hatsune's and Forum Pirate's articles have been published big grin

I also created a Recently Posted page so you can see the new content easier when you are already familiar with the site.

If anyone else has ideas or suggestions please write them here!
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 pm

It's getting better and better Fex big grin

One request.
    Could you announce on the forum banner, or some other conspicuous place (like a post-it on my forehead) when you will be streaming on FextraLife. I missed the stream earlier today.  sad

My email should have notified me put I didn't have it loaded. Shrug 
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 pm

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t24524-fextralife-tv

This is the thread that will be bumped when we go live with one of the streams!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:35 am