Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
hey its andres
TheMeInTeam
SirArchmage
Frank Poole
Derpwraith
Xero
Serious_Much
elloguvnas
Animaaal
Acarnatia
barrywilkins
Sneezer
FinPeku
KrazykevS10
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Leet
Lord of Ash
Tolvo
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Ghadis_God
skarekrow13
Lorrac ESP
RANT
27 posters

Forest Hunters Deserve To Be Ganked

Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Forest Hunters Deserve To Be Ganked - Page 2 Empty Re: Forest Hunters Deserve To Be Ganked

Post by Leet Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:10 pm

FinPeku wrote:What if I told you, when i'm forest hunting, I WANT to get ganked? One of the most boring things to happen in dks pvp for me is to invade in the forest all pumped up and ready for some free-for-all action and then there's some random dude hosting alone and looking for 1v1 pvp. Looking for 1v1 pvp in an area where you can get invaded by two other players at the same time... I don't understand. If you want duels, don't go to the forest. Applies for both, invaders and hosts.

I dry finger in the forest by myself. Most of the time as soon as 1 person invades, another soon follows. As i'm fighting one, the second one joins. It's fun.

In essence, i get myself ganked on purpose. If you can fight 2+ people at the same time, 1 person is cake.

Last edited by TooLeet on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Forest Hunters Deserve To Be Ganked - Page 2 Empty Re: Forest Hunters Deserve To Be Ganked

Post by Sneezer Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:13 pm

TooLeet wrote:
    FinPeku wrote:What if I told you, when i'm forest hunting, I WANT to get ganked? One of the most boring things to happen in dks pvp for me is to invade in the forest all pumped up and ready for some free-for-all action and then there's some random dude hosting alone and looking for 1v1 pvp. Looking for 1v1 pvp in an area where you can get invaded by two other players at the same time... I don't understand. If you want duels, don't go to the forest. Applies for both, invaders and hosts.

I dry finger in the forest by myself. Most of the time as soon as 1 person invades, another soon follows. As i'm fighting one, the second one joins. It's fun.
    It's going to be cool when we're forced to deal with that in DkS2 in the Mirror Knight fight.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 pm

The lack of people taking advantage of the 2 vs 2 possibilities is crying shame in my eyes.

If you want ganked, invade Anor....same difference with a better environment.

Why the community hasn't taken full advantage of the ability to break free from the monotony of 1 vs 1 is beyond me.

I'm hosting there right now, and looking for 2 vs 2. I'll never change, and I know the phantoms and hunters have more fun with me. cool ...imo of course.rolling eyes 
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 pm

It's the forest.  Both sides are supposed to gank each other.  If you want PvP with etiquette, go somewhere else.  It is not a place for honor duels.  IMO, honor duels in the forest are just as bad as ganking in the moonpit.  As a catbro, I actually get upset if someone wants an honor duel . . .

In fact, I don't trust them if they do.  Too many hosts out there fake wanting an honor duel only to have a phantom wearing a fog ring BS you.

So, please gank me.  It's why I pvp in the forest.

EDIT: krazykev - how much time have you spent as a catbro in the forest?
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 pm

I solo duel all the time in the forest. Mainly just with my troll builds. And me and my friend have, admittedly, ganked people there using really ridiculous setups. Ever been killed by two people ninja-flipping you with Kirk armor to death? Or have two people shooting arrows at you while doing the "Skulled Shuffle" dance? Or two people beating you back and forth by bashing you with a greatshield? Its why I go to the forest. Hardly anyone gives a damn what you do in it and no one really blames you for doing something. Of all the places I both invade and host, the place I get the least hatemail is in the forest. Someone stun-locking you to death with an Ultra Greatsword in the Township or Burg? People get pissy about it. Do it in the forest? Well, at least it wasn't two of them both with sunlight blade Zweihanders, heavy armor and hornet ring while chewing on Elizabeth mushrooms and divine blessings while one of them spams Dark Bead and Pursuers at me.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:26 pm

reim0027 wrote:...  If you want PvP with etiquette, go somewhere else....

No. I want my 2 vs 2 and I get my 2 vs 2. If the arena didn't suk so bad Id be there.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:57 pm

That's fine. You are in an area that ganking is expected. You shouldn't get upset when people gank you as that is the meta in the forest. As a catbro, we never trust any host. We have been tricked by everything in the book.
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:00 am

Let's sit back for a moment and think back to our time as Forest Hunters.  Most of the time spent was getting your face slammed into the ground by two people the moment you spawned with backup hardly ever arriving before it was their turn to get grinded into dust.  After a long night of constant YOU DIED. You finally encounter a lone warrior whom you immediately rush towards.  Instead of backing off, he bows.  Pleased to finally see some courtesy you bow back and take a hornets DGM to the faceback by his white standing just out of sight.  Let's face it, the Forest isn't a place for the faint of heart.  You won't find this so called honor there.  You won't get 1v1 matches.  Most of the time, you'll be fighting armies of people 5x your sl just because the Forest hates your guts and wants to see you cry.

I personally enjoy the thrill of a 1v2 fight.  It lets me run wild and do whatever I please to win a fight rather than spending most of my time wondering if i should do something because "its not honorable or something in their eyes," so yeah, I guess you could say I deserve what I want Sun
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:23 am

Actually, while I think DESERVE has nothing to do with it, I agree. Anytime I enter the forest to actually defeat Sif, which I prefer doing with a phantom, I have to summon a phantom in order to make it past the npcs without getting ganked by catbros who are being more than just agressive-they're usually being the equivilent of the school bully. I believe there is no such thing as 'deserve'; I do think the catbros have made it necessary to gank for even 'legitimate' reasons to be in the forest, and now bring ganking upon themselves. The respect I used to have for catbros, and having used to be one, is mostly gone.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:27 am

If I see someone clearly questing, as a catbro, I let them pass. I'm not there to fight questers. I'm there to fight ganking hosts.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:40 am

"I expected as much from thee." Reim, I already know you're awesome. And certainly, not everyone in the forest is like that. Some of the best times I've had is doing odd things with invaders in the forest-sometimes even while I was ganking, and stopped to do so with an invader.
    I keep to a few rules for myself to keep myself and the forest 'clean' to a measure: I never chainstab unless someone is abusing a glitch or being so nasty that it's that or die; I never use the family masks (may they all be thrown into the Abyss); I don't go for Hornet Ring OHKO unless their playstyle makes bsing the ONLY way I can hit them; and I NEVER, EVER use 'Well, what is it?' gesture.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 am

Augh, this text limit. I hope for a pc soon.

I do find the 'arms race' of the forest interesting. Originally, there were a variety of invaders, running from more 'honorable' or more respecting players seeking combat constantly running into a mass of gankers who were abusing the game mechanics. Players who wanted to experience the whole game, every area and online play type, had their ability to do this, in a sense, ruined by a plethora of bullies. In response, the catbros became darker, more hostile, and some, I imagine, embittered. They began playing much more aggressively and began taking advantage of other invaders much more skillfully and ruthlesslly. And now, they have become ruthless and often blatantly demeaning, even seeming to intionally demoralizing, regardless of what they're there for or how they're playing. Ultimately, I think both sides are responsible.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 am

Acarnatia wrote:"I expected as much from thee." Reim, I already know you're awesome. And certainly, not everyone in the forest is like that. Some of the best times I've had is doing odd things with invaders in the forest-sometimes even while I was ganking, and stopped to do so with an invader.
    I keep to a few rules for myself to keep myself and the forest 'clean' to a measure: I never chainstab unless someone is abusing a glitch or being so nasty that it's that or die; I never use the family masks (may they all be thrown into the Abyss); I don't go for Hornet Ring OHKO unless their playstyle makes bsing the ONLY way I can hit them; and I NEVER, EVER use 'Well, what is it?' gesture.
    Trying to keep the forest 'clean'? What the? Have you been smoking that "moss" the Female Undead Merchant sells you?

Hope the forest is never clean. Love disregarding ever shred of honor for a bit and destroying people indiscriminately with hailstorms of magic.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:08 am

It can completely dishonorable. My concern is with how outright mean some people there. A fight can be completely without rules without a nasty winner actually setting out to demoralize and dominate another person in the way a lot of catbros seem to have taken to.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:23 am

The forest was tailor-made for mass ganking on both sides.  I thought this was common knowledge big grin.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:32 am

reim0027 wrote:That's fine.  You are in an area that ganking is expected.  You shouldn't get upset when people gank you as that is the meta in the forest.  As a catbro, we never trust any host.  We have been tricked by everything in the book.

I've never said I was upset.  Ive defended catbros since release.

I'm just not going anywhere, I bring TONS of etiquette, and I enjoy the presents your bros leave me.

I've never blamed them for feeling cautious, I've never made them feel that way, I enjoy the outdoors, and I love it there.

And its time the meta changed....the arena suks.  I was SO frekin excited for the DLC ya know?

And also, a  host, a phantom, and 2 reds is just NOT the same imo.

***edit***

There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more people looking for the EXACT same thing btw.  
    The Anti-Gankers are the minority.
    elloguvnas
    elloguvnas

Post by elloguvnas Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:02 am

If someone starts staring at me with binoculars, turning into trees, and running in circles. I'm BS'ing him. Chain BS'ing him. Ain't got time for that foolishness.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:22 am

^ I would be very careful about getting too close to anybody who looks like a tree.  It is not atypical to see people do that to hide the fact that they're wearing red tearsone and about to 1-shot you with a crystal soul spear in hyper mode because the animation is partially hidden by the chameleon spell.

As a result, my official recommendation is to shoot suspicious trees, pots, statues, and corpses hanging off of stakes from a safe distance with arrows of some variety...preferably out of lock-on range.  That way, the threat of a surprise 1-shot is practically nothing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 am

In my experience it's not that catbros deserve to be ganked as much as they actually WANT to be ganked. It's just common courtesy that the host obliges.
    Xero
    Xero
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xero Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:55 am

Really the forest was made for ganking? The whole "meta" thing is ********. I dont gank in one area and play nice in another.  If i see i host bowing or waveing or doing any other emote i just wont attack him because he is defensless at that moment. Well i might shoot him with an arrow if he does "Well what is it". Its just the matter of treating others how you want to be treated. I fight fairly and if the opponent heals i bs/stunlock/heal back. And i have no problems with people treating me the same way if i heal. Its not like you lose anything when you die so there is no reason to be a ****.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:32 am

@Animaal - no problem. I have had people trying to do 2s get irate at me for jumping them.

@Serious - Yup. Its why I go there. I lose a LOT. But the victories are awesome.

I pretty much retain 4 rules of etiquette. No glitching/hacking, etc. I always bow after a fight, no matter what. I don't attack during a bow. And, I don't go after questers, once I know they are questing. Other than that, it is no holds barred.

As far as bowing goes . . . Many times, bowing is a distraction while the host's phantom sneaks up on you and BS you, DB you, or CSS you. When they bow, I don't bow back and I pan the camera around looking for a fog ring or a dark tree.

Another point is this. Both sides gank and gank a lot (the vast majority, IME). The hosts have a clear advantage though. They can actually set up and organize ganks and can insta-heal their phantoms. Both sides have jackwagons who taunt and pretend they are the best thing since sliced cheese (or bread even). Both deserved to be ganked. And, I know catbros want to be ganked, not sure about the hosts though.
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:39 am

An eye for an eye makes the world go blind.
    Frank Poole
    Frank Poole
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Frank Poole Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:13 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:The forest was tailor-made for mass ganking on both sides.  I thought this was common knowledge big grin.

QFT 

Why do think it is that all the forest NPC's attack you on sight? I guess they're not being honorable and have no etiquette >_>
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Animaaal wrote:And its time the meta changed....the arena suks.  I was SO frekin excited for the DLC ya know?

Actually the arena works perfectly, the only problem is no one is there. If I want to duel a friend or have a melee with people I know however, it doesn't take more than a minute for us to match up against each other. It works, it's just that people don't use it, kind of like dragon covenant and gravelord covenant to an extreme.

Also, you will never fight someone "5x your SL" in the forest. I know that this is an exaggeration, but forest invasions are the same as summons signs so if someone is too powerful or gives you an unusual amount of souls, then they are hacking.

Edit: and no, an eye for an eye makes idiots blind.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Actually Andres,

https://mpql.net/tools/dark-souls/?level=120

Cat Covenant Ring uses the same invasion method as Red Sign Soapstone. You can only invade a bit lower then you, but you can invade infinitely higher. Same if you invade as a Darkwraith. So the only way you are not going to be invading these insanely high levels is to go Darkmoon. In fact I have been considering making a level 700 and hosting in the forest for this specific reason, to avoid being invaded by Darkmoons.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:52 pm