Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Animaaal
ScottyDoesKnow
6 posters

Help with int build?

ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Help with int build? Empty Help with int build?

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 am

Edit: So I'm fairly happy with the build now. I don't use the magic much but I wanted a mage character. I'm using the first one and built the third one as well, not sure if I'll bring it up to SL100 or not.

The build: http://mmdks.com/30d1
    MLGS focused version: http://mmdks.com/30d2
    MLGS SL50: http://mmdks.com/3039

Original post:

Never really used the Moonlight Greatsword so I thought I'd try making a build for one. Then I realized I don't know what magic to use. I'm not a fan of dark magic, so I was thinking maybe Homing Crystal Soulmass and Crystal Soulspear, but still having a bit of trouble filling the last slot and it feels strange to go less than 4 on a magic build.

Also not sure if the gauntlets of thorns are worth it, and they don't look the best. If I had something else I could drop some endurance for dragon breath or to get some more HP or for grass shield.

Any advice?

Last edited by ScottyDoesKnow on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:19 pm; edited 9 times in total
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Help with int build? Empty Re: Help with int build?

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 am

Incase no one has said it, "Welcome to the forum." Bow 

Doesn't look too bad.  Nice work, the Wooden Shield is underrated for pvp imo.

A couple things though:

-Using the MLBH and the MLGS is kinda overkill imo.  You might want to consider a Demon's Spear (not great  with those stats) or something you can use against people who use GMB.  If you already have something planned for hot-swapping in this situation, then disregard.

-Dark Magic is fine.  Most people under estimate its usefulness at a distance.  A lot of people want to use it up close for the killing power, but it's spread is spectacular.  I only use it up close after a parry (simply deadly).  The chip damage from a distance adds up over time.  I use it like I'd use a bow.

-HCSM is useless for trying to inflict damage against a good player.  However, there is one thing that makes it a fantastic spell.  It makes your opponent move.  You can time your MLGS attacks after HCSM activates for some devastating effects.  HCSM will hit once and awhile too because of it's phantom damage.

-Since you're not buffing a weapon, I STRONGLY recommend Strong Magic Shield.  It makes you practically invincible to all attacks (except backstabs) for 15 seconds.  However, with the TCC you get one cast.

-The TCC.  I'd only recommend using it if you're not using the CoD and the BDCR.  The power you get from it is more than enough, and you really need to double your spells to get the most out of it, or buff.

-The CoD is okay, but I prefer the Crown of the Dark Sun.  The CoD lowers your magic defenses and its effects EVERYTHING that deals magic damage...including an enchanted bow with moonlight arrows...ouch.

-The Thorn Gauntlets are best used with fist weapons, but they do serve a purpose for canceling backstabs in pvp.  You really need to understand how it works, otherwise it'll be random cancels.  I've yet to fully understand how to make them work every time, but I've seen vids and know the basics, I'm just too lazy to become more efficient at it.  But ya, the thorn armor can be very useful despite its poor defenses compared to their weight.

-Imo, CSS is best used with a int/dex build.

-Maybe drop the spear and use some pyro?  The CoD would help you with "pyro power".

----These are actually small  suggestions.  Your build looks fine the way it is.  Good job on it.  My recommendations are simply based on my own play style.  I hope they were helpful, but it seems you have a good grasp on what you're doing.

WIZARDS FOR THE  WIN!!!cheers

PS-Your build and statements suggest pvp, or at the very least getting some use out of it in pvp, despite it being in general discussion.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Advice: scrap magic builds.  They either win on a laggy cast, or they can't hit anything.  Nine times out of ten I lose to an attack I dodged, but does 1300 ghost damage.

Lame.
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:52 pm

http://mmdks.com/2za2 here, i only switched a bit of gear around since you're already planning on having moonlight horn equipped... might as well benefit from it: greatsword + offhand spear is a VERY strong combo. since you can't buff i'd advise putting the catalyst in the right hand, paired with a shield/offhand spear it's deadly, also strong magic shield! ^^
    stat wise you pretty much nailed it, gratz!
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Assuming that this is a pve build, due to the location it is posted (if your intention is mostly pvp, free to ignore this post..)

Why did you stop putting int at 44, the scaling is still pretty good till 50 (for Tin Catalyst)

Also your doing yourself a disservice against AI's, imo, if you choose not to use dark magic at all. (heck it's pretty effective against most newer players in pvp from what i've seen, as long you unexpectabilty pull it out of your arse or something)
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, especially Animaaal for taking the time to write that all out.

This is going to be for PvP, didn't realize/remember there was a separate section for it.

Still having a hard time deciding how to finish the build. There are some options, like dropping the int to 40 for max weapon scaling and forgetting about crystal soul spear. Or going pyro instead of magic with the 40 int for weapons.

What I'm leaning towards right now is swapping the spear for velka's rapier so I can drop some endurance, which would be needed in dex for the 16 requirement. This also allows me to wield the channeler's trident which is always fun.

My glove choice is also becoming very dependent on what looks good with the painting guardian robe. I didn't realize there's a rolled-up sleeve look for large gauntlets. I noticed most gloves don't cause it, and just found out that iron bracelet doesn't either (sorry sunbro). Currently leaning towards iron bracelet just for that look, though it does stick out a tiny bit from the sleeves.

1. Would anyone know if there are other gloves with at least 6 poise that don't cause the sleeves to roll?
    2. Is strong magic shield that worth it? Always thought it was weak due to the 15 second duration.
    3. Would velka's rapier be a good offhand weapon paired with the greatsword?

This is what I'm currently considering, the extra 0.5 weight is there so I can swap grass for wooden and swap velka's for moonlight/demon spear.

http://mmdks.com/2zed
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:38 pm

velkas rapier will work good in the offhand.
    i suggest not going below 56 poise with a greatsword, sometimes you have to trade a running greatsword R2: not getting stunned can give the advantage. if i could have more freedom with the concept i'd suggest this: http://mmdks.com/2zf4 more focus on the melee portion of pvp, awesome hp, best (?!) poise preakpoint, alternatively get no att at all (warrior) and equip an enchanted composite bow. moonlight arrows and moonlightsword R2s are all the casting you really need ^_~
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:15 am

So that's what 56 is for, I was looking at this post and going for 53: http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=14822

I appreciate the advice but I'm not looking to completely overhaul all my gear, I like to play fashion souls. I have considered going 40 int and focusing more on melee, though this is my only int character so it would be nice to have some spells. I think I'm going to try working silver knight gauntlets into the build to get the 56 and see how it goes. It's too bad though, iron bracelet is the highest poise gauntlets I could find that don't change the look of the painting guardian robes.

I'll try to make this work and see how it plays: http://mmdks.com/2zig
    CarverUpqik
    CarverUpqik
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CarverUpqik Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:24 pm

heres mine http://mmdks.com/2zrt
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for all the help, been having so much fun with the MLGS. Builds edited into the original post.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm