Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
LunarFog
Ghadis_God
swordiris
Animaaal
Eko
xenon_nobelium
Wilkinson3424
Encore
LagStab
13 posters

Best PvP Build?

Eko
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Best PvP Build? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best PvP Build?

Post by Eko Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:
    SirArchmage wrote:
    Ghadis_God wrote:A downrep doesn't mean I hate you or think you're a terrible person, but reputation is meant to signal helpful, contributive members of the community and you are neither helping nor contributing anything while expecting help and contribution.
    Remember, Ghandi, when Dark Souls 2 comes out the new forum will pretty much just be questions like this. I think asking for help isn't something that should be downvoted upon, as they are new and asking for help. Of course it is mightily preferable for them to figure it out for them damn selves, as this is Dark Souls. I just don't think he should get a downvote simply for lack of knowledge.

TL;DR He is a new, what can he really contribute at this point?
    Plenty of people ask for help on the forum and in the PvP section, and build help usually looks like "hey I'm new to the game and I made this build, can you critique it/offer feedback on how viable it is" or "I need tips on weapons for PvP or what spells are effective", not "Best PVP Build I want a build here use this and make me one". One of them is acceptable and the other reeks of entitlement, like he's demanding a service from a computer rather than asking for help and collaboration from actual people.

I think the actual title of this post is "Best PvP Build?" which does not even remotely reek of entitlement to me. I can see how you could make a case for lazy, but not that he is demanding a service. It seemed to me to suggest that he isn't sure what works and what doesn't work in PvP and would like the communities input. More plausibly, it seemed like he was having a brain fart at the time and wasn't able to think of a creative or new build different from the ones he has used prior. I get that Dark Souls is a game where the learning curve is steep and trial and error is what most of you probably learned by. Thankfully though, we have this handy community that is able to mitigate some of the pains of the trial and error process for us newer guys. Now I'm not saying he shouldn't experiment; however, I am saying that the rhetoric of saying, "Best PvP Build I want a build here use this and make me one" and following by saying it reeks of entitlement is a bit much. After all, let's keep in mind he is new and might not be quite used to the forums or the way we are supposed to do things on here. Regardless of what your position on the post might be down voting it and using the rhetoric you chose is just as detrimental as demanding a service from the community.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 am

It did come across as a little entitled and demanding. The actual post wasn't so much a question as it was a command.

It's not too hard to ask politely for help, but unfortunately the new breed of kids seems to have less and less manners these days
    /getoffmylawn

I noticed it on reddit too (one of the reasons I left actually), at the start people where polite in asking for help but as more and more people joined through steam sales and Live sales the content dropped off and the manners disappeared. Upvotes became rare and one sided and questions became demands.

If you don't pull people up on sh**ty behaviour is just perpetuates more ime.

Either than or he could be a non-english speaker from a country that doesn't have please and thank-you's.
    Eko
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eko Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:32 am

It didn't seem that way to me. I still feel like lazy would fit more accurately, but my main problem was just language used. I understand coming down on people who feel entitled, but that can be done in any number of ways. For instance asking him to edit his original post to sound less demanding or asking him to edit it for more clarity.

Either way, I just decided to give him the benefit of the doubt as he is new and probably wasn't too sure of how to word his post or how exactly to ask for help with his first build. I see what you're saying about the manners and I agree with that, this post just didn't come off that way to me. Sorry if my previous comment came off a bit too censorious, I do that from time to time.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:50 am

We're probably just a little jaded from seeing a few too many of these is all.

It's also a little annoying when people ask for a build, but give nothing about their play style, preferences or anything. It's pretty much just 'make me a build that will win', but they don't understand that this game doesn't work like that.

There isn't any generic slightly OP cookie cutter build appart from the Giant Zwei MotM builds, which I guess I'll just start linking from now on in repsonse to vague questions/demands like this Best PvP Build? - Page 2 3563967992
    Eko
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eko Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 am

I tried to explain that in one of my earlier posts on this thread. I don't know if it resonated with him or not though. Trust me, I get the same way when it comes to helping people out with Final Fantasy teams. They always ask me what the best set-up is and all I can say is there isn't one and it depends on how you play.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:18 am

The biggest issue I have with it is that you get a lot of people all asking the same question, when if they just lurked a bit more, helped themselves a little by using the search bar they would work out a few things and then when they asked us for help we'd get a poster that actually has an inkling of what s/he wants and we'd get a little more to go on then 'make me the best build'.
    I want to help people refine and perfect their build for their playstyle, not just spit out some generic builds for them because they didn't know how to ask a proper question.

All I really want is for people to help themselves first instead of signing up just to ask a question that's been asked countless times before.
    It's not only less of a chore for us, it's of benefit to them as well.

I'm currently going through this atm, trying to learn builds for Path of Exile, and although I want to just make a scrub post asking someone to make me a build, I wouldn't want someone to do that if the positions reversed.
    So instead I've spend a few hours reading up on skill and perks and passives and when it comes time for me to ask for help, I hope that I'll at least have an idea of what I want and will just be asking for guidance to reach this goal, and getting feedback on the feasability and survivability of the build, rather than just asking too broad a question and just getting a generic base build to start off with.
    Eko
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eko Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:30 am

I completely agree with that. I just thought what was said about the original post and the poster was a bit much.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 am

Yeah that's understandable.

I don't think a lot of it was directed soley at him, it seemed to just be a bit of "I've had enough of these type of posts so unfortunately you're the unlucky one that gets made an example of".
    LagStab
    LagStab
    Regular
    Regular

Post by LagStab Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:09 am

I try to contribute but I guess quality is in the eye of the beholder, lol

Rate this build I made:
    https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=160798877521568438

I win 3/4 PvP matches mix of poison arrows, quick slashes, dodges and parries. I recommended it.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 am

Havel's ring does nothing, replace it with something of use.

Also since you're not using the spell slots Warrior or Bandit would net you 4 extra points to spend.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 am

Hm...that one looks good but 0 poise is asking you to be stunlocked to death. Havel has no use for you other than one of forms of fastrolling but I say to switch it with the wolf ring to net you 40 poise.
    Maplepop
    Maplepop
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Maplepop Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 am

Jesus, give the guy a break.
    The guy hasn't intended to offend anyone, he's simply looking for advice... Whether or not he's going about it in the right way is perhaps debateable, but he's obviously enthusiastic and keen to learn.
    Some of you guys seem to forget that we were all 'noobs' once upon a time.
    Eko, I agree with you 100% - respect sir!
    LagStab
    LagStab
    Regular
    Regular

Post by LagStab Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:Hm...that one looks good but 0 poise is asking you to be stunlocked to death. Havel has no use for you other than one of forms of fastrolling but I say to switch it with the wolf ring to net you 40 poise.
    Unless I don't get hit winking
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Maplepop wrote:Jesus, give the guy a break.
    The guy hasn't intended to offend anyone, he's simply looking for advice... Whether or not he's going about it in the right way is perhaps debateable, but he's obviously enthusiastic and keen to learn.
    Some of you guys seem to forget that we were all 'noobs' once upon a time.
    Eko, I agree with you 100% - respect sir!

I agree.

Sometimes I read the op in a thread and I think, "Weeeellllllll, this guy will figure it out eventually, its a pretty simple question."

However, I never criticize someone for simply asking a question.

Flaming the op for this thread is elitist. Stop, now. not talking

If you don't want to help the guy, then STFU be quite.

Last edited by Animaaal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : be quite)
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 pm

LagStab wrote:I try to contribute but I guess quality is in the eye of the beholder, lol

Rate this build I made:
    https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=160798877521568438

I win 3/4 PvP matches mix of poison arrows, quick slashes, dodges and parries. I recommended it.
    That armor isn't very good, even for light armor, so you might want to experiment with the calculator and find light armor that gives you better defenses, but if you like the way it looks that's the most important part. Also, you don't need Havel's ring to fast roll in that setup, you would probably do better with the Wolf Ring to let you tank some lighter weapons. Otherwise that's a good build, you might want to add some pyromancy if you can free up a weapon slot (the dark Silver tracer shouldn't do a lot more damage on a riposte or backstab than the great scythe)
    LagStab
    LagStab
    Regular
    Regular

Post by LagStab Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 am

I decided on artoritas armor + wolf ring for poise.

Artorisas armor + lord waist cloth to maintain fast roll, and so far so good. Although, I am usually using the shotel and r1 spamming, then backing off for their heavy strike, so I do not get hit too often. Secondary is a great scythe, and I use the running sweep attack when health gets low

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:31 pm