Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
AnCapaillMor
Slarg232
SirArchmage
raecor14
8 posters

the mistborn and night angel trilogy

raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

the mistborn and night angel trilogy Empty the mistborn and night angel trilogy

Post by raecor14 Thu May 30, 2013 10:42 pm

so i love to read, like more than almost anything else and it is because of this i can read at an adult level (something rare for my poor, poor illiterate generation) and these two series now top my list of favorite. the mistborn series just has such an interesting concept on magic, using metal to fuel certain powers and the night angel trilogy is so intense, within the first few chapters a young boy is raped by yet another young boy. it has such a deep look into good and evil and has more of a realistic approach to it, have any of you guys read either of these series? did you like them
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

the mistborn and night angel trilogy Empty Re: the mistborn and night angel trilogy

Post by SirArchmage Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Some know I love the Night Angel series and recently made a Durzo Blint and Lantano Garuwashi build. The characters and story in that are great. Magical assassins are badass, though I am sad at what happened to Jarl.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

the mistborn and night angel trilogy Empty Re: the mistborn and night angel trilogy

Post by raecor14 Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 pm

SirArchmage wrote:Some know I love the Night Angel series and recently made a Durzo Blint and Lantano Garuwashi build. The characters and story in that are great. Magical assassins are badass, though I am sad at what happened to Jarl.
    i just got up to the bit in the second book sad quite emotional
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Last book is interesting. Very interesting. The only thing I'll tell you about the last one is, pay attention to Dorian. Close attention. He has some character development that will make you throw a bit of a fit.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 pm

SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Night Angel Series.

Spoiler:

I haven't read Mistborn, but it sounds like you would like The Summoner, the first book in the Chronicles of the Necromancer. The storyline is kinda so-so, but the actual Necromancer magic in it is an interesting take on it (Vampires, less so, but still better than Twilight silly ); The Necromancers can communicate with the dead, but may only call upon their help as a request, or just bend them down through force of will. Bringing people back from the dead is expressly forbidden by the Goddess, and is punished by an eternity of damnation.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri May 31, 2013 3:58 am

Mistborn is alright, sanderson was kinda just starting out then, the alloy of law now there's a good book. Think mistborn set in the time of the wild west with guns and Allomancy and fueramancy. Loved the magic system in the series. Very different. His way of kings series has just started and so far is pretty good.
    Same goes for the night angel, good but once you've read other books not as good, however weeks's 2nd series "Lightbringer" is pretty friggin good.

If you,liked these books, i'd highly recommend the Wheel of Time series, Jordan waffles on at times but the scope of the plot and the history in it is just beyond epic.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 am

Bumping this topic just to let you guys know you spurred me into buying the first of the Night Angel books. Will post again when I finish it silly
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I keep forgetting that the wheel of time finally wrapped up... I've been reading that series since... I think it was when I was 9, haven't picked up the last book and im not sure if im going to...
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:20 pm

I couldn't get into the wheel of time... it felt so... cliche.  A mysterious child raised by a farmer who turns out to be 'the one' and must go on a long quest in order to defeat the ultimate evil... stretched over what, 14 books.  I may start it again later, I think my biggest mistake was starting this after a song of ice and fire series.

Definitely enjoying farseer much more.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 am

aceluby wrote:I couldn't get into the wheel of time... it felt so... cliche.  A mysterious child raised by a farmer who turns out to be 'the one' and must go on a long quest in order to defeat the ultimate evil... stretched over what, 14 books.  I may start it again later, I think my biggest mistake was starting this after a song of ice and fire series.

Starts out that way but he's so much much more. 14 is a lot and there is a lot of waffle but it's not just about him and the final battle. There's a lot of other story arc's, his 2 friends Matt and Perrin, Egwene and follows many more. The world\history is absolutely massive\epic. Characterwise it is pretty simple compared to Martins stuff. If you want complex, i can't recommend Erikkson's Malazan series enough.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Blech, hated Egwene's and Rand's other wives part, honestly. Way, WAY too political, at least when Perrin was engaging in politics he was a freaking

Spoiler:
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:55 pm

AnCapaillMor wrote:
    aceluby wrote:I couldn't get into the wheel of time... it felt so... cliche.  A mysterious child raised by a farmer who turns out to be 'the one' and must go on a long quest in order to defeat the ultimate evil... stretched over what, 14 books.  I may start it again later, I think my biggest mistake was starting this after a song of ice and fire series.

Starts out that way but he's so much much more. 14 is a lot and there is a lot of waffle but it's not just about him and the final battle. There's a lot of other story arc's, his 2 friends Matt and Perrin, Egwene and follows many more. The world\history is absolutely massive\epic. Characterwise it is pretty simple compared to Martins stuff. If you want complex, i can't recommend Erikkson's Malazan series enough.

The Malazan series looks really good.  Thanks for the recommendation!
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:08 pm

If you want something really dark, the prince of nothing by Scott R Barker, everyone's an a-hole, the supposed hero is the biggest of them all.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 pm

raecor14 wrote:so i love to read, like more than almost anything else and it is because of this i can read at an adult level (something rare for my poor, poor illiterate generation)
    Apparently, most american adults read at a 5th grade reading level. (newspapers are written at a 7th grade level, for reference.) Its inexcusable and rampant lazyness, even by my standards (and I'm plenty lazy)
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Had a marathon reading session yesterday due to no power.  My god is the farseer trilogy GOOD!  Ups, downs, political intrigue, and unique 'magical' abilities that aren't too far out there.  I'm absolutely LOVING it.  Think I might do all 9 books before digging into some of the above series.  Keep the recommendations coming!
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm

I'll +1 the notion for more recommendations.

@Pirate thats quite disgusting I gotta say, mind-boggling. Reading FTW

My own recommendation for any who haven't read it is the Sovereign Stone Trilogy, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
    The authors have worked together on alot of series, and every one I've read has been fantastic but this is definately my fave.
    Its got quite a dark mood to it, not as dark as some of the above but grity enough to make you think its 'real' if you get me. Another different approach to magic and miracles, with a particular emphasis on the gods magic versus the magic of the void... And also an aspect on equivelent exchange to it aswell.

Anyway happy reading people big grin
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 pm

If you want unique/different magic systems, Rothfuss or Sanderson are the guys. Weeks's new magic system based on colour is pretty cool too. Erikksson's system will melt your mind.

As for the farseer i knew 50% into the third book what would and couldn't bring myself to finish it. Rothfuss's kingkiller sries is similar in that most of it is from the heroes point of view.

Last edited by AnCapaillMor on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 pm

I heartily recommend the Black Company, Tyrannies of the Night, and A Cruel Wind by Glenn Cook. They are all very gritty fantasy books, and none of them are too cliché;

A Cruel Wind starts off with a main character destroying an entire city by himself. The main character himself speaks in the first person, using his wit to move politicians rather than his sword to move countries. It's kinda slow, and tends to jump around though.

Black Company is a mercenary group fighting for the highest bidder. When the highest bidder just so happens to be the Goddess herself, who no one even knows if she is a benevolent or malevolent god.... It gets far too interesting far too quickly for the company.

Tyrannies of the Night starts out with a simple man doing the impossible; he slays a God. Now, the other gods are trying to kill him, few wish to be caught in the crossfire, and he himself is starting to question all that he holds dear.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Yeah liked the black company, a lot of the current gen authors put cook down as a huge influence on their writing.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 am

what i love about the night angel is how it makes you laugh at a dark joke, then your like *** WHY DID I LAUGH AT THAT!
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:14 pm

AnCapaillMor wrote:If you want unique/different magic systems, Rothfuss or Sanderson are the guys. Weeks's new magic system based on colour is pretty cool too. Erikksson's system will melt your mind.

As for the farseer i knew 50% into the third book what would and couldn't bring myself to finish it. Rothfuss's kingkiller sries is similar in that most of it is from the heroes point of view.

How could you not finish the third book?  I was absolutely enthralled w/ the entire series and couldn't put the third book down.  The ending battle is absolutely EPIC and I thought the resolution after was one of the best endings I've ever read.  Bittersweet, just like the entire series.  After being so disappointed w/ the hunger games ending this one was a breath of fresh air.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm

The whole molly story was just tragic, i knew what would happen and couldnt bring myself to finish it, soppy git that i am.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:The whole molly story was just tragic, i knew what would happen and couldnt bring myself to finish it, soppy git that i am.

It doesn't end up tragic for her... bittersweet, yes, but definitely not tragic.  I loved how they sewed up that story arc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:56 am