Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
RANT
DemonOfFate
SadPanda
Seignar
8 posters

Needs patroling enemy...

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Needs patroling enemy... Empty Needs patroling enemy...

Post by Seignar Sat May 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Read if only you like words:
    Moral of the Story: We need patrolling super-enemies, maybe bosses to give meaning to Hidden Body, Hush, Fall Control, Chameleon, Aural Decoy (Although already overpowered) and...of course, Tranquil Walk of Peace.

Just imagine a patrolling boss that can't be beaten in narrow areas, so you need to reach a wide area to fight it (The boss stage), but you can meet it along the level attacking you in narrow areas, but you can play some antics on it to beat it!
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Needs patroling enemy... Empty Re: Needs patroling enemy...

Post by SadPanda Sat May 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Seignar wrote:
    Read if only you like words:
    Moral of the Story: We need patrolling super-enemies, maybe bosses to give meaning to Hidden Body, Hush, Fall Control, Chameleon, Aural Decoy (Although already overpowered) and...of course, Tranquil Walk of Peace.

Just imagine a patrolling boss that can't be beaten in narrow areas, so you need to reach a wide area to fight it (The boss stage), but you can meet it along the level attacking you in narrow areas, but you can play some antics on it to beat it!
    I really hope that from focuses on stuff like this for their "mid level twist on boss fights".
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Sat May 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Problem with this idea, it would make your guy have to know magic. I mean i love the concept, but there should be a way for every play style to survive. I hate magic and miracles, so there would have to be a way to avoid it without the need for magic. Love the concept though.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 pm

I was just using magic to use things we are familiar with. The player could have used Alluring skull to distract the beast in the bridge, then safely cut the rope. There could be other items like Flashbombs, that he could have used to blind the beast while he was stuck at the dead end, to safely run past (safely, being relative).

If we were to take another setting: The beast is in a dark cavern and you're using a torch. You can turn off the torch so it doesn't see you, but you can't see it either. You then have to walk as the both of you are stuck with only your sight to fight.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat May 04, 2013 5:54 pm

sounds good to me, what I really want is powerful enemies like the two clerics in the tomb and not just weak hollow mobs, I want alive mobs that are hard to kill and those two clerics are the perfect example of that.
    Aevun
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Aevun Sat May 04, 2013 6:35 pm

I only read the moral of the story, and I absolutely agree. More dynamic/organic/seamless level design would be most welcomed.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat May 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Personally, the way I would like to see each level divided is like this:

There is 1 level, take for example a Castle. This castle is huge and is divided into 3 stages. Within each stage exist 1 boss as you make your way to the top, but the True Boss of the stage can be found in all 3 stages wandering.

Meaning, that while you fight your way through stage 1 and stage 2, you could still end up fighting the stage 3 boss (fighting really meaning "running from"). However, how can you balance level design when a player could end up fighting something that should not be fought? This is the tricky scenario, considering you must provide the player with various pathways to accommodate fleeing scenarios. Most levels are linear, so you wouldn't expect many escape routes.

Take for example the level I was envisioning in the spoiler, it is a maze filled with dead ends and winding paths meant to assist the True Boss by entrapping the player, but one must also realize how it affects the overall level design because, as I mentioned, the level is filled with dead ends that will annoy players.

Ultimately, for the vision I have, it is pretty difficult to make a boss that could be met early on because you would have to design the level around the boss's movements or have to design the boss around the level.

For example, to design a wandering boss around Sen's Fortress, it would need to be able to fly so it can take multiple routes. It would need to be able to walk around walkways and it should be proficient in head-on fights. You would either need to design a boss like that, or you would need to design the entire level around it and its movements.

If I had to renvision Sen's Fortress to fit the Iron Golem, it would be pretty hard. I would have to give the golem something to walk on, I would have to manipulate the traps so it doesn't get caught on them naturally. I would have to remove most fall deaths to evade cheap kills. Either that or I make certain areas of Sen's Fortress open air and make Golem simply shoots its air wave from a distance.

That ultimately leads to complications when trying to keep the design top quality. I wonder how they plan to work with this.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sat May 04, 2013 7:55 pm

I think we all can do better with the better elements of stealth and distraction in the game. It would provide a more realistic aspect and give us more options instead of killing all the enemies that are aggressive.
    Sargerus
    Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sargerus Sat May 04, 2013 9:37 pm

I would love if FROM implement the scraped DkS concept that Black Knights would wander around the world in a random pattern.
    MistahrFox
    MistahrFox
    Regular
    Regular

Post by MistahrFox Sun May 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Patrolling Bosses are a great idea, but we also have to think about normal enemies. I mean every enemy just stands around waiting for the player to aggro them, they should be made look more alive. Even hollow soldiers and warriors, as weak as they are, should be wandering around until they find something to atack.

Now returning to the boss idea, there are a few examples in DkS that would be easy to do, like Artorias, since he went batshit insane due to the Abyss its easy to imagine him going around the garden and atacking you if spotted, maybe even other enemies. Or the Moonlight Butterfly shooting magic arrows at you in it's area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 am